Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   So do we figure they'll tour DDN? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10976)

mushmanski57@hotmail.com 03.02.2007 09:44 PM

So do we figure they'll tour DDN?

Or at least a minitour where they play it in its entirety? Surely they wouldn't relearn all the songs and play it a mere 3 times...

Here's to hoping! :D

neptuneg 03.02.2007 09:45 PM

yes yes yes!!!

All Hail WATT 03.02.2007 11:21 PM

how about a warmup gig or two in may?

TheMadcapLaughs 03.03.2007 01:14 AM

They need to do it for us yankees too.

k-krack 03.03.2007 01:50 AM

How 'bout a fucking Toronto showing of it! I would actually fucking CRY if this happened. The notion of seeing Rain King and SIlver Rocket and 'Cross The Breeze live in a single night... mindblowing... *crying*

Everyneurotic 03.03.2007 06:59 PM

i really hope they don't.

dazedcola 03.03.2007 07:09 PM

i doubt they'll do a tour for just rehashing the DDN material but i think its likely that some of the lesser played DNN (rain king, hey joni, the sprawl, trilogy) might start to get incorporated into normal set list. It'd be weird for them to re-learn songs Thurston himself said are hard to play only to play them 3 times and then forget em.

Dead-Air 03.03.2007 10:31 PM

I doubt they will. They always play some of the songs, but I for one don't want them to be just another fucking '80s nostalgia act.

ohfuchsia 03.04.2007 12:50 AM

come on..do it in sydney, on the way to asia...on my birthday....

atari 2600 03.04.2007 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
How 'bout a fucking Toronto showing of it! I would actually fucking CRY if this happened. The notion of seeing Rain King and SIlver Rocket and 'Cross The Breeze live in a single night... mindblowing... *crying*

That they would do one of the shows in Montreal seems reasonable.

Thurston told Watt in the phone interview (Watt from Pedro show 2/14) that they plan on doing a series of shows where they cover the entire album...in order.

Mike had asked about whether the setlist would be the same as the album sequencing, and then followed it up by musing if they were gonna also do Providence.

Everyone who listened to that interview I'm sure remembers that as a very engrossing and amusing part in particular...and Thurston affirmed that yes, they're gonna do Providence too.

I think it would be witty if Sonic Youth made a new Providence tape using some of this part of the phone interview, but then again, Providence is a real art piece so just maybe they won't be retooling as prescribed haha.

fluxequalsrad 03.04.2007 11:46 AM

Providence = Track without mike watt phone call Blasting through the moniters with Thurston playing with tapes and stuff? anyone?

They'll definately be playing some amazing stuff live this year. And we all know its only a matter of time before they relearn sometihng off of Washing Machine...right!?

Coachella better have some Murray Street stuff on the setlist.

Magic Wheel Memory 03.04.2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I doubt they will. They always play some of the songs, but I for one don't want them to be just another fucking '80s nostalgia act.

A tour of Daydream Nation would hardly make them an 80's nostalgia act. They continue to put out new material and emphasize that material when they play live. A Daydream Nation tour would be a special side project. And remember that many of us were not old enough to see them the first time they toured behind that album.

hirsute_biped 03.04.2007 05:33 PM

west coast daydream too!

Dead-Air 03.04.2007 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
A tour of Daydream Nation would hardly make them an 80's nostalgia act. They continue to put out new material and emphasize that material when they play live. A Daydream Nation tour would be a special side project. And remember that many of us were not old enough to see them the first time they toured behind that album.

The words: "And remember that many of us were not old enough to see them the first time they toured behind that album" prove wrong everything else you were asserting to that point.

Trust me, I don't think of Sonic Youth as even slightly close to a nostalgia group, but that's because they have carefully made the decision to continue to move forward and push the envelope. Playing all of Daydream one time through is a special side project, which is what they are doing. Touring on the laurels of record from two decades ago so that their younger fans can hear it as if it just came out yesterday is total Flock of Seagulls as far as I'm concerned, and I honestly don't think they would do that. You might have to settle for hearing two or three songs from it mixed in with other material from all of their career, which just doesn't strike me as anywhere close to a bad thing.

Magic Wheel Memory 03.05.2007 01:37 AM

Hey Dead-Air,

I respect your opinion, but this isn't really an argument over the meaning of "nostalgia." Instead, it's a debate over whether a tour of Daydream Nation would be desirable. I think it would be, simply because it's arguably their greatest record, and many of us never experienced it live. A tour would not suggest that it "just came out yesterday," but that it's a masterpiece worth revisiting.

Sonic Youth is one of those very unique bands for whom a large portion of their fanbase wasn't even born when their earlier work was released. You can't say that about A Flock of Seagulls.

Peace.

Dead-Air 03.05.2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory

Sonic Youth is one of those very unique bands for whom a large portion of their fanbase wasn't even born when their earlier work was released. You can't say that about A Flock of Seagulls.

Peace.

I can't? Then why do I hear their music playing in cafes full of people under 21 all of the time? There's nothing unique about a band having a large part of their fanbase born after their earlier work was released. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin come immediately to mind as groups that fit that description, and you could fill pages with more. That's what brought us the "Classic Rock" format years ago, and it is indeed all about nostalgia including for those who weren't there the first go around.

What makes Sonic Youth unique is that they by and large refuse to play into that and continue to release great records and side projects while revisiting the past as a secondary agenda item. Of course there are tons of fans who wish they'd tour on a record from two decades ago, there are even quite a few (and I'm not counting you among them, but they do exist) who would have them do nothing but tour on a record from two decades ago. More power to them for seeing that's not a good idea.

Ubiqridiculous 03.05.2007 05:52 PM

ffffff

Hoping they announce some summer NYC dates soon. I'm planning on a trip to Brooklyn this summer, and I want to coordinate it with an/some Sy show(s)!!!!

drrrtyboots 03.05.2007 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubiqridiculous
Hoping they announce some summer NYC dates soon. I'm planning on a trip to Brooklyn this summer, and I want to coordinate it with an/some Sy show(s)!!!!

well, while you're in brooklyn check out some todd p shows. www.toddpnyc.com. by far the best show promoter in the city with a loyal base of fans and musicians alike.

timtimtim 03.05.2007 10:43 PM

I just want them to tour again and come through the chicao area.
However I would prefer if i wasn't a DDN tour, It's probably the album of their's that I listen to the least. And it's not because Im burnt out on it, I just never got into as much as ttheir other work.

neptuneg 03.05.2007 11:09 PM

I want DDN to be played in New York. Twice.