Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

davenotdead 04.23.2010 03:43 AM

no yeah. that's it. there is no "s", haha. i have to say i haven't seen lolita vibrator torture. i'm really new to the japanese horror/exploitation/slasher stuff... what is the cream of this crop?

just saw Eastern Promises again. its so very good. its succinct. not a wasted second in this movie. perfectly paced. beautifully shot. i love the ending

atsonicpark 04.23.2010 03:57 AM

J-Splatter/Exploitation? There isn't really that many worth going after, surprisingly... I guess SPLATTER: NAKED BLOOD, CRAZY LIPS, RAMPO NOIR, and EVIL DEAD TRAP would probably all be worth checking out... LOVE EXPOSURE is pretty funny, it's 4 hours of panty shots and kung fu..

Rob Instigator 04.23.2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenotdead

just saw Eastern Promises again. its so very good. its succinct. not a wasted second in this movie. perfectly paced. beautifully shot. i love the ending

best fight scene ever

demonrail666 04.23.2010 10:02 AM

I'm a big big Henry Fonda fan but your pic isn't showing. I'm guessing, you mentioning him playing a bad guy, that it's Once Upon a Time in the West. Right?

chicka 04.23.2010 10:03 AM

only an actor as good as he was could have pulled it off

batreleaser 04.23.2010 10:10 AM

I've heard rumors about an Eastern Promises sequel, true?

Finally saw "Un Prophet", fucking amazing.

demonrail666 04.23.2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicka

only an actor as good as he was could have pulled it off

He was the most verstile of all the great Western actors for me; leagues ahead of John Wayne and, while I love Jimmy Stewart, he could never ever do a baddie in the way Fonda could - just as Eastwood could never play a flat out good guy. As well as being a brilliant actor, Fonda also had this thing with his eyes, where he could go from being the gentlest of characters to the coldest. Supposedly, for OAaTitW, he put in brown contacts, to disguise his blue eyes, but Leone had him take them out, thinking his blue eyes were far more chilling. Leone was definitely right.

chairman of the bored 04.25.2010 10:12 PM

I watched about an hour of The Aviator. Man, that sucked. The last good (decent) movie I watched was probably Pitfall by Teshigahara. God bless Criterion for putting out this kind of shit it's best available presentation. (Even though they really botched "Branded to Kill" and "Withnail and I.")

Zombie Robot 04.25.2010 10:40 PM

atsonicpark 04.26.2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
I watched about an hour of The Aviator. Man, that sucked. The last good (decent) movie I watched was probably Pitfall by Teshigahara. God bless Criterion for putting out this kind of shit it's best available presentation. (Even though they really botched "Branded to Kill" and "Withnail and I.")

Yeeeeeeah. BRANDED TO KILL deserves a beautiful remaster job. What an amazing film.

noisereductions 04.26.2010 07:54 AM

Adventureland - 4/5
Paper Hearts - 3/5

batreleaser 04.26.2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Adventureland - 4/5
Paper Hearts - 3/5

Adventure land was a million times better than I would have expected. Jesse Eisenberg is the real deal, and who knew the Twilight hottie had acting chops?

noisereductions 04.26.2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
Adventure land was a million times better than I would have expected. Jesse Eisenberg is the real deal, and who knew the Twilight hottie had acting chops?

I know. I was expecting a dumb comedy like Nick & Norah or something. This was actually really well written, and the 80's theme wasn't in yr face over the top. It felt real. Jesse is generally awesome (did you see Squid & The Whale?). And Kristen Stewart is fantastic. She just gets overlooked becuz Twilight seems so stupid to ppl. But before that she was in some films I saw (Into The Wild, Speak) and she was great. I was a fan of hers by the time Twilight was getting hyped. So whatever. Anyway, I loved it. Really really surprised me.

alteredcourse 04.26.2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
He was the most verstile of all the great Western actors for me; leagues ahead of John Wayne and, while I love Jimmy Stewart, he could never ever do a baddie in the way Fonda could - just as Eastwood could never play a flat out good guy. As well as being a brilliant actor, Fonda also had this thing with his eyes, where he could go from being the gentlest of characters to the coldest. Supposedly, for OAaTitW, he put in brown contacts, to disguise his blue eyes, but Leone had him take them out, thinking his blue eyes were far more chilling. Leone was definitely right.

I didnt know that about the contacts...I really love that movie. Everyone is really great in it.

!@#$%! 04.26.2010 01:18 PM

a mixed bag. it was terrible, but great at times.

then there was emma stone-- most of her web pictures are a little weird, but here she had the right makeup to make her look really, really pretty

the jewish kid, columbus, who the fuck is it? and did they pick him cuz they couldn't get michael cera? he's a lookalike but no way as funny.

noisereductions 04.26.2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

a mixed bag. it was terrible, but great at times.

then there was emma stone-- most of her web pictures are a little weird, but here she had the right makeup to make her look really, really pretty

the jewish kid, columbus, who the fuck is it? and did they pick him cuz they couldn't get michael cera? he's a lookalike but no way as funny.

I think you mean Jessie Eissenberg who we were just discussing a few posts earlier. Emma Stone is always awesome. She was great in Superbad, and she was the best part of House Bunny.

!@#$%! 04.26.2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I think you mean Jessie Eissenberg who we were just discussing a few posts earlier. Emma Stone is always awesome. She was great in Superbad, and she was the best part of House Bunny.

yeah yeah, him.

emma stone looks lovely in movies. not sure how much she can act but you just wanna keep staring at her.

haven't seen house bunny yet

anyway, the movie-- so fucking talky. especially the first part of the movie-- show, don't tell, motherfucker.

still-- bill murray was hilarious.

sonic sphere 04.26.2010 04:01 PM

batreleaser 04.26.2010 05:19 PM

Emma Stone looks ridiculously amazing in Zombieland, she's from Scottsdale, AZ, amazing nightlife up there. And Woody was great as always.

Yeah the Squid and the Whale was great. Eisenberg is so ridiculously shitty (as a character), not an actor in that movie, passing off Pink Floyd as his writing, haha. I'm kind of psyched for his portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network.

noisereductions 04.26.2010 06:30 PM

I loved when he said THE METAMORPHASIS was Kafka-esque. Haha.