Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Life (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30317)

optras8 04.16.2009 07:45 PM

Sonic Life

I was thinking about getting the Sonic Life cross (like my avatar) as a tattoo with white ink. I just wanted to know what everyone (including the band, if I'm lucky) thought about that idea. I know Thurston already did it, but I love the design and I think it would turn out well.

joe11121 04.16.2009 07:52 PM

Doubt the band will see this. But I think it'd be a really cool tattoo. You dont wanna go to some gross place and have them fuck it up, go somewhere good to get it done.

Chris Lawrence 04.16.2009 07:56 PM

my ex had this done a couple years ago before the daydream nation shows in california, and we showed thurston backstage. he got a pretty big kick out of it, i think. lee took a bunch of pictures comparing the two, if i recall correctly.

i was worried how it would turn out, but hers looks AWESOME.

This Is Not Here 04.16.2009 07:57 PM

I compromised with a t-shirt. I advise you to do the same. (and white Ink would look like someone jizzed a crucifix on your arm)

This Is Not Here 04.16.2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
my ex had this done a couple years ago before the daydream nation shows in california, and we showed thurston backstage. he got a pretty big kick out of it, i think. lee took a bunch of pictures comparing the two, if i recall correctly.

Pictures!

automatic bzooty 04.16.2009 07:59 PM

how have i not seen/heard about thurston's tat?

This Is Not Here 04.16.2009 08:00 PM

Pictures of it are scarce, but it exists!

samuel 04.16.2009 08:03 PM

Hey, a lot of my friends go to Salisbury University... just thought it was cool to see "Salisbury, MD."
As for the thread topic, I think it would make a pretty rad tattoo design.

automatic bzooty 04.16.2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
Pictures of it are scarce, but it exists!

Oooh, found one!

This Is Not Here 04.16.2009 08:23 PM

His 'tat' is exactly the same design I have on my t-shirt actually.

automatic bzooty 04.16.2009 08:26 PM

yeah, i've seen the sonic life cross (of course) but i hadn't seen it on thurston before.

mil_pl 04.17.2009 03:54 AM

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...ght=sonic+life

optras8 04.17.2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
I compromised with a t-shirt. I advise you to do the same. (and white Ink would look like someone jizzed a crucifix on your arm)

White tattoos actually end up looking more like natural tattoos. They almost look like a branding or something similar but they are MUCH less obvious and therefore difficult to do so yeah, I wouldn't go to anyone that hasn't done white before. As far as the whole "band" thing, my best friend and I have been listening to Sonic Youth for years and music has always been the main thing we have in common. He plays guitar and I play bass. He was thinking about something similar if not the same thing. Thanks for the support from everybody so far though.

phoenix 04.17.2009 05:36 AM

you have my support! good luck. godspeed.

barnaclelapse 04.17.2009 07:06 AM

I say go for it.

It's a great design, and I could see a person who has no idea of Sonic Youth digging it.

h8kurdt 04.19.2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

Awesome. When I showed Lee my tatoo he took a picture of it too. I ddn't what to say except "...sure"

atsonicpark 04.19.2009 01:58 PM

There are times, however, and this is one of them, when even being right feels wrong. What do you say, for instance, about a generation that has been taught that rain is poison and sex is death? If making love might be fatal and if a cool spring breeze on any summer afternoon can turn a crystal blue lake into a puddle of black poison right in front of your eyes, there is not much left except TV and relentless masturbation. It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat shit and die.

h8kurdt 04.20.2009 06:23 AM

Cheer up. Might never happen

themawt71 04.20.2009 08:06 AM

after getting mistaken for a christian by some older man in a grocery store-he told me he led a bible group called something very close to sonic life christian ministry(no shit...)- i feel kind of weird wearing this shirt out in public.

eternal 09.30.2009 09:06 PM

Just got this bad boy done on the back of my arm. still a bit swollen, but i love it.

notyourfiend 09.30.2009 09:10 PM

^neat!

infinitemusic 09.30.2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themawt71
after getting mistaken for a christian by some older man in a grocery store-he told me he led a bible group called something very close to sonic life christian ministry(no shit...)- i feel kind of weird wearing this shirt out in public.

OH GOD how horrible

eternal 09.30.2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notyourfiend
^neat!

thanks!

Satan 09.30.2009 10:06 PM

i will never understand people who get band tattoos. ever.

infinitemusic 09.30.2009 11:32 PM

Yeah me niether, but, hey whatever you like

notyourfiend 10.01.2009 12:00 AM

^ i've considered getting a tattoo that references both sonic youth and bikini kill because both of those bands have had such strong impacts on my life. it goes far beyond music for me. as cheesy and ridiculous as it sounds, both bands saved me when i was in a really horrible place in my life. they stood for something that i could not yet articulate. they made me feel less alone.

Satan 10.01.2009 01:05 AM

I always tell the girls, never take it seriously. If you never take it seriously, you never get hurt. You never get hurt, you always have fun. And if you ever get lonely, you just go to the record store and visit your friends.

SONIC GAIL 10.01.2009 08:51 AM

Crosses are always a good tattoo subject in my book, especially that one. I thought about getting it but I already have a cross tattoo and I don't want 2 crosses.