Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Suggest me some Echo & The Bunnymen (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11012)

Sonic Youth 37 03.04.2007 04:52 PM

Suggest me some Echo & The Bunnymen

I've been feeling REALLY 80's the past week. and I have never checked them out other than the song "The Killing Moon", which I love.

What should I get?

Danny Himself 03.04.2007 04:56 PM

'Crocodiles'.

LifeDistortion 03.04.2007 04:58 PM

"Killing Moon" is off of the album "Ocean Rain" which is a good album and by most considered thier best. "Crocodiles" I haven't heard but it has "Lips Like Suger" which is a good song.

Cantankerous 03.04.2007 05:05 PM

get "songs to learn and sing", it's a compilation of their singles from about 1979 to 1985 and it would be a good starter.

atsonicpark 03.04.2007 05:06 PM

Crocodiles and Turquoise Days..

atsonicpark 03.04.2007 05:06 PM

OH WAIT!

EyeballGrowth 03.04.2007 07:35 PM

that is a compilation of their absolute best stuff. Including their phenominal cover of People are Strange ( I personally like the bunnymen's version better )

Savage Clone 03.04.2007 07:58 PM

They were my absolute favorite as a teenager.
I recommend Porcupine, Crocodiles and Heaven Up Here most highly.
Porcupine is probably my favorite. Anything before that 1987 self-titled LP is gold, really.

Savage Clone 03.04.2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
"Crocodiles" I haven't heard but it has "Lips Like Suger" which is a good song.

Crocodiles came out several years before that song, and I think it's their best album. Recorded in Iceland, I believe.
"Lips Like Sugar" is on the 1987 S/T album, which I think overall is pretty weak.

Dead-Air 03.04.2007 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
They were my absolute favorite as a teenager.
I recommend Porcupine, Crocodiles and Heaven Up Here most highly.
Porcupine is probably my favorite. Anything before that 1987 self-titled LP is gold, really.

I'm in total agreement with Mr. Clone, and in dispute with many of the earlier posts.

"Lips Like Sugar" was definitely NOT on Crocodiles, it is a much later song, and the beginning of the end for many hardcore Echo fans. Songs to Learn and Sing is unnecessary unless you would suggest Screaming Fields of Sonic Love as a worthwhile way to experience Sonic Youth. Best ofs of that sort inevitably overlook many of the highest points of groups that weren't all about writing singles to begin with (which Echo most definitley weren't until "Lips Like Sugar" and that wretched self-titled thing.)

Porcupine and Heaven Up Here are fabulously dark, beautiful, guitar driven wonders. I can't pick between the two to call one my favorite. Crocodiles is certainly close to as great as well, and so is Ocean Rain really. The e.p. that contains some of those hits plus "Never Stop" is also essential for "Never Stop" and the awesome live version of "Do It Clean". I start to get acid flashbacks just writing about these records!

Sonic Youth 37 03.04.2007 08:30 PM

Thanks for the great input everyone!

I'm going to go with Ocean Rain first!

Dead-Air 03.04.2007 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Thanks for the great input everyone!

I'm going to go with Ocean Rain first!

It's a quite good album, but I wouldn't really pick it for an introduction to the band, because it's their later, more melancholly direction. Hell, I'd say get the first four albums in the order they came out plus the "Never Stop" e.p. and call it complete.

Florya 03.05.2007 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
It's a quite good album, but I wouldn't really pick it for an introduction to the band, because it's their later, more melancholly direction. Hell, I'd say get the first four albums in the order they came out plus the "Never Stop" e.p. and call it complete.

I'd agree, but I'd also recommend 'Shine so Hard', just for the live version of 'Zimbo'

narlus 03.05.2007 06:59 AM

get them in this order:

heaven up here
ocean rain
crocodiles
porcupine

screamingskull 03.05.2007 11:44 AM

Do it CLEAN!