Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Favorite Post Rock Band? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18372)

dazedcola 12.17.2007 02:35 PM

Favorite Post Rock Band?

Which post rock band do you love the most? There's so many of them I feel I've only heard a drop in the ocean of the genre. I think I like Mogwai the most, but I just discovered Explosions in The Sky debut and love it. I love the epic feel of their music.

So who do you choose? Mogwai? Godspeed You Black Emperor ? Slint ? Tortoise? A Silver Mt. Zion?

king_buzzo 12.17.2007 02:40 PM

slint.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.17.2007 02:45 PM

godspeed

SYRFox 12.17.2007 02:49 PM

Mogwai. I love a lot of other post rock bands (Godspeed, Tortoise, Slint, Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, Fly Pan Am, Silver Mt Zion, Redjetson, etc), but no one can make me feel such emotions as Mogwai. It's incredible how they can make an absolutely beautiful song with only a repetitive piano pattern ("I Know You Are But What Am I?"), or create tension during minutes for a really brief but intense explosion ("Christmas Steps"). Everything's perfect about them, I really love them. Plus the blog on their website is hilarious

gualbert 12.17.2007 02:59 PM

The Sex Pistols.

_slavo_ 12.17.2007 03:02 PM

Mogwai hands down. Last two album weren't too good, however I still adore their earlier output (EP+6!)

Fly Pan Am as well as majority of the Constellation roster used to be (or still are) very good indeed.

Bowery Electric's Beat was sheer heaven.

Flying Saucer Attack had some great albums.

Long Fin Killie was good too.

gpw_sucks 12.17.2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_buzzo
slint.

:).

radarmaker 12.17.2007 03:58 PM

Slint by a country mile. And that's coming from one of the biggest Mogwai fans around.

SYRFox 12.17.2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radarmaker
Slint by a country mile. And that's coming from one of the biggest Mogwai fans around.

We couldn't guess by your nickname at all ;) (great track anyway)

ZEROpumpkins 12.17.2007 04:51 PM

Slint!

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 12.17.2007 04:59 PM

I like the Red Sparowes a lot.

Torn Curtain 12.17.2007 05:21 PM

Talk Talk (Spirit of Eden / Laughing stock) & Mark Hollis solo
Sigur Rós

StevOK 12.17.2007 05:40 PM

For me it would have to be Mogwai.

atsonicpark 12.17.2007 05:48 PM

Slint's "post rock" now? Odd... I can see them inspiring bands within the genre, but I typically think of stuff like Godspeed or Do Make Say Think when I think of post rock. Post and math rock have really been meshed together, I guess.

So, in that case: A Minor Forest.. but I'd say that's math rock... Gastr Del Sol.. but to me that's folk.. so I'll say World's end Girlfriend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post-rock_bands

Toilet & Bowels 12.17.2007 07:47 PM

mogwai are one of the boringest bands in the world. really, really boring.
all the bands who play in this apparent genre, and started out after the term "post rock" was coined pretty much suck.
i saw pelican play tonight; BBBBBBOOOOOORRRRRIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!!!!!!
luckily for me they were only the support act and high on fire who were the main band totally killed it.

Everyneurotic 12.17.2007 08:01 PM

i hate the fucking term and 95% of the bands associated with it, but a band that takes slint's dynamics as ripped off by mogwai but in an incredibly emotional way AND are masters of songwriter is mono, so that's my favorite, whatever the fuck it means.

batreleaser 12.17.2007 09:40 PM

godspeed, slint (i think theyre post rock), tortoise, mono, stereolab on their more ost rock-isah days. not a big fan of this genre.

narlus 12.17.2007 10:28 PM

Mogwai.

the originators, the practitioners, the perfectionists of the form.

Cantankerous 12.17.2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Mogwai hands down. Last two album weren't too good, however I still adore their earlier output (EP+6!)

Fly Pan Am as well as majority of the Constellation roster used to be (or still are) very good indeed.

Bowery Electric's Beat was sheer heaven.

Flying Saucer Attack had some great albums.

Long Fin Killie was good too.

bowery electric aren't really post rock, are they? but they were good.

slint by a long shot

Everyneurotic 12.17.2007 10:48 PM

my favorite post rock band is wu-tang clan.