Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

afterthefact 02.05.2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
i love Tropic of cancer

As do I. I believe I'll get Tropic of Capricorn next, since it's supposed to be a sequel. Until then, I'm going to start on "Ironweed," by William Kennedy.

Norma J 02.05.2008 08:35 PM

^You've two of my favourite writers in your sig.

afterthefact 02.05.2008 08:40 PM

Bukowski. What can one say about him, really? Not a pleasent person, that is for sure. But then again, what artist usually is? He was an amazing writer, and even better poet. I've only recently gotten into him, but I'm glad I did.

Dead-Air 02.06.2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
Not a pleasent person, that is for sure. But then again, what artist usually is?

Quite a few actually (look at say, Sonic Youth for instance) though I don't discount somebody's art just for being an asshole (unless I know them, then it gets harder to separate their art from their bad acts). I love Bukowski too. I think it's largely a myth though that all artists are difficult people, and all too often the myth is used by jerks to make themselves feel superior since they obviously must be geniuses to be such dicks.

afterthefact 02.06.2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Quite a few actually (look at say, Sonic Youth for instance) though I don't discount somebody's art just for being an asshole (unless I know them, then it gets harder to separate their art from their bad acts). I love Bukowski too. I think it's largely a myth though that all artists are difficult people, and all too often the myth is used by jerks to make themselves feel superior since they obviously must be geniuses to be such dicks.

Yes, but because of that, the myth is usually not so much of a myth as it is a stereotype, the difference being that while myths may have no basis on anything, stereotypes are usually backed up with plenty of examples.

Norma J 02.06.2008 05:45 PM

I don't think Bukowski was that terrible of a guy. He had his problems, was very honest, and liked his booze and women, but he realised all this, so doesn't that counteract all of that? He just wasn't as bad as most people make out. I found great pleasure in his Selected Letters* books, and I'm not a saddist. He was quite the gentle creature at times, too.

*As I do his poetry and his novels. But the Letters are very raw and stripped back to the bone.

tesla69 02.07.2008 09:33 AM

Saturday's Child by Ray Banks.

afterthefact 02.07.2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
I don't think Bukowski was that terrible of a guy. He had his problems, was very honest, and liked his booze and women, but he realised all this, so doesn't that counteract all of that? He just wasn't as bad as most people make out. I found great pleasure in his Selected Letters* books, and I'm not a saddist. He was quite the gentle creature at times, too.

*As I do his poetry and his novels. But the Letters are very raw and stripped back to the bone.

Didn't say he was a bad guy, just not very pleasant, that's all :)

nicfit 02.07.2008 10:18 AM

The original manuscript of Alice Underground with Carrol's illustrations etc etc, sick stuff. I mean, not THE original, a reproduction...

krastian 02.07.2008 04:02 PM

Getting ready for spring training!!!

afterthefact 02.07.2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
The original manuscript of Alice Underground with Carrol's illustrations etc etc, sick stuff. I mean, not THE original, a reproduction...

I was about to ask where you got that :)

uhler 02.07.2008 04:56 PM

dostoyevsky's short stories

afterthefact 02.07.2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
dostoyevsky's short stories

I've got that at home, it's next on the list :)

nicfit 02.08.2008 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
I was about to ask where you got that :)

he he...it's really amazing, btw.
next: Robert Sabuda's pop up version of alice.

Poor Immigrant 02.08.2008 04:32 AM

Right now I'm reading Blood Meridian (Cormac McCarthy) and Imperial Life in the Emerald City (Rajiv Chandrasekaran)

Cormac McCarthy is always great; The Road is the greatest book I've read in a long while.

Death & the Maiden 02.13.2008 04:48 AM

The Picture Of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Pookie 02.19.2008 08:21 PM

Just started this:

!@#$%! 02.19.2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poor Immigrant
Right now I'm reading Blood Meridian (Cormac McCarthy) and Imperial Life in the Emerald City (Rajiv Chandrasekaran)

Cormac McCarthy is always great; The Road is the greatest book I've read in a long while.

this would have been a great coincidence except that you posted this 10 days ago-- i just picked up blood meridian, which i had started & temporarily stopped reading (2 years), and i'm about to give it a go (again).

i'm also just started nietzsche's daybreak, a good edition

anyway that is that

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 03.16.2008 05:49 PM

Katy 03.17.2008 09:50 PM

British Sign Language books.. I'm practising my BSL on lines from Star Trek.