Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Say what you want about Rather Ripped (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35939)

Kuhb 11.24.2009 11:10 PM

Say what you want about Rather Ripped

..but the actual drum sounds are awesome.

Sorry I was just cranking Pink Steam and was blown away by the snare.

Skuj 11.24.2009 11:51 PM

(For the millionth time) I'll never understand the general lack of love for Rather Ripped. It is an insanely consistently good album of "songwriting".

Chris Lawrence 11.25.2009 02:23 AM

Killer guitar tones, too. I find it has the same overall 'boxiness' as 'The Eternal' though, not to open that whole can of worms again...

I always enjoyed the album, but don't listen to it that often. I threw it on at work the other day and it's pretty much 'as good as I remembered'. Mostly upbeat, rockin' tunes with lots of pretty guitar and some great vocals, particularly Kim's. A few less-than-clever riffs here and there, unfortunately entire choruses for some songs, but it's a pretty solid record overall.

atsonicpark 11.25.2009 02:47 PM

It's very possible.

cagedbird 11.25.2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirttail
Does any one else think Kim's vocals on this album sound like they were excessively pitch corrected (or "Auto-Tuned")?

Excuse my ignorance, what does corrected for pitch mean?

Jeremy 11.25.2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cagedbird
Excuse my ignorance, what does corrected for pitch mean?

It pretty much means it's "tuned up" a little bit... So any off notes she sings are fixed a bit so they aren't as, well, off.

~Jeremy~

eternal 11.25.2009 05:57 PM

pink steam is one of my favourite songs ever. The bass is so simple, yet so perfect and is in pefect harmony with the guitars. My favourite part is the segment right before thurston starts singing...it is pure magic

Concrete Abutments 11.25.2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eternal
pink steam is one of my favourite songs ever. The bass is so simple, yet so perfect and is in pefect harmony with the guitars. My favourite part is the segment right before thurston starts singing...it is pure magic

Agreed. I have major major love for Pink Steam. And while it's never trashed as a track to avoid, I don't feel like it gets the love it deserves. I think it should be the LIVE staple for the next 7 years like Bull In The Heather was.

Sonic Life 11.25.2009 07:56 PM

Yeah I love this album. It's one of my favourite SY albums, in fact. I actually think that Incinerate is one of SY's best songs too. It's probably not as well loved as some of the bands other albums as it's more mainstream sounding.

Trasher02 11.25.2009 08:00 PM

I didn't like it at first but I gave it a second try a couple of months ago. It's a good record, maybe not there best work, but a solid album to say the least. Probably their most experimental work so far, haha.