Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   burnt out on music (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10804)

ni'k 02.25.2007 10:59 AM

burnt out on music

for a long time now, i have gotten no enjoyment out of music, or much else in life. it is hard for me to beleive in the bands the way i used to or respect them as much. i feel like i have nowhere left to branch out into. the only real time i can enjoy music like i used to is when im on drugs which is kinda sad. does anyone have any idea what's going on with me?

i've long gotten sick of indie rock and whatever hyped up crapola of the month everyone is going on about. i don't mean to sound like a snob or whatever but i really do feel like that. used to be i was always checking out new music but now it seems i don't bother cos i know what its gonna be like before i hear it and it seems there are no new bands i haven't heard of.

i mean, i can still enjoy music, but i can't come close to the same emotional response i used to have to it, and i seem to be putting less and less energy into it lately. maybe it comes down to not being able to hero worship or respect the bands the way i used to. the last band i really got into was the fall, but after time even they just sound so uninteresting to me, it's like i understand what they are all about and there's no mystique anymore. also sy don't really fill me with the excitement they used to, the only thing that came close was listening to still from syr2 for the second time ever on ecstacy a few nights ago. i kinda feel like i am in some ways too mature for the music i have been into but i can't seem to find anything else. i can remember hitting a really big burn out years ago and then branching out into SY and a load of different bands at the time and rediscovering music, but it seems now like there's nowhere left for me to go.

remedies anyone?

demonrail666 02.25.2007 11:04 AM

You need quality 'mature' music by the sounds of things. How about Big Star's Third album, Sister Lovers?

atsonicpark 02.25.2007 11:05 AM

You know, I was so excited last year to put a CD player in my car.

And I find myself half the time driving to and from places with no music playing at all. Just because I don't want to hear music.

ni'k 02.25.2007 11:05 AM

ill listen to big star thanks

demonrail666 02.25.2007 11:12 AM

If you haven't already heard it, Sister Lovers isn't as immediate as their two earlier albums but seeing as you say you're feeling burnt out, that has tpo be one of the most burnt out records ever. You'll definitely find a soul mate in Sister Lovers.

atsonicpark 02.25.2007 11:15 AM

When I'm burnt, I mainly listen to ambient music. Stars of the Lid, man..

Glice 02.25.2007 03:00 PM

Lots of people go through this, at various points. The problem, as far as I can make out, is that you get too sophisticated for certain forms, and out-grow them. Often, as many parents will tell you, music suddenly becomes a lot less of a priority. The best thing I recommend is getting into 'serious' music, not just indie-for-adults, but the classical side of things. From my point of view, I can listen to it pretty much constantly - it doesn't give me the sugar-rush that indie stopped giving me years ago, but there's so much to listen to... it engages oneself in a way that means, even if you don't enjoy it in a fist-pumping, dancing on the ceiling way, one engages the cerebral appreciation - a lot more satisfying, to my mind.

lungfish 02.25.2007 05:01 PM

i think i know what you mean. i usually get burnt out on music when i feel like there is so much shit out there that i need to listen to and i feel, unrealistically, that i need to listen to everything thats out there that is good.
i would assume and hope that you are into a band whose song or songs will never tire and that they feel almost like your own. kind of like how i feel about Sparks and their "A Woofer in a Tweeters Clothing", "Kimono..." and "Propaganda" etc.

It'll all pass. Any negative feelings, that is.

terminal pharmacy 02.25.2007 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ni'k
for a long time now, i have gotten no enjoyment out of music, or much else in life. it is hard for me to beleive in the bands the way i used to or respect them as much. i feel like i have nowhere left to branch out into. the only real time i can enjoy music like i used to is when im on drugs which is kinda sad. does anyone have any idea what's going on with me?

i've long gotten sick of indie rock and whatever hyped up crapola of the month everyone is going on about. i don't mean to sound like a snob or whatever but i really do feel like that. used to be i was always checking out new music but now it seems i don't bother cos i know what its gonna be like before i hear it and it seems there are no new bands i haven't heard of.

i mean, i can still enjoy music, but i can't come close to the same emotional response i used to have to it, and i seem to be putting less and less energy into it lately. maybe it comes down to not being able to hero worship or respect the bands the way i used to. the last band i really got into was the fall, but after time even they just sound so uninteresting to me, it's like i understand what they are all about and there's no mystique anymore. also sy don't really fill me with the excitement they used to, the only thing that came close was listening to still from syr2 for the second time ever on ecstacy a few nights ago. i kinda feel like i am in some ways too mature for the music i have been into but i can't seem to find anything else. i can remember hitting a really big burn out years ago and then branching out into SY and a load of different bands at the time and rediscovering music, but it seems now like there's nowhere left for me to go.

remedies anyone?

try some, jazz, opera, classical, modern classical, and see a doctor

lungfish 02.25.2007 05:22 PM

yeah.. thats what i was going to say.
try music that isn't, for the most part, tainted with "coolness", a very teenage concept.
music that is simply music for music lovers and isn't about what you wear and about what's popular today or not popular yet still popular at the same time (?)
classical is where it's at.

demonrail666 02.25.2007 06:03 PM

I agree Lungfish. While it may sound perverse, when I just want kick back and listen to some quality, regardless of its cool factor, I sometimes slide one of Dire Straits early albums into the CD player. It's actually great and always sounds fresh whenever I listen to it - far better than people might expect if all they've heard is the ultra over produced stuff like Brothers in Arms.

noumenal 02.25.2007 06:05 PM

Quote:

classical is where it's at.

Toilet & Bowels 02.25.2007 08:24 PM

i would suggest trying out music outside of the indie-rock world, whether it feels like it or not you really haven't heard every new band or old band or performer. there is so much music to discover that if you are really interested you will never run out of things to hear. like glice suggested try classical, or try modern composition, improv/eai/noise, or music from different countries, or electronic music, or old soul or reggae, jazz, blues, folk, rap, funk.... every style of music has something that will amaze you if you are prepared to put in the time to find it.
also, i think once you've had your ears refreshed by new things you'll be able to go back and enjoy your old favourites again too.

deathbyfeedback 02.26.2007 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
When I'm burnt, I mainly listen to ambient music. Stars of the Lid, man..

ditto

Onani Nic 02.26.2007 01:58 AM

Man whenever I'm sick of everything I listen to The Replacements- Let It Be, Whitehouse or some drone type stuff like Starving Weirdos, Peeeseye, Birchville Cat Motel.

jon boy 02.26.2007 03:49 AM

maybe you could take time out from things for a while nik and just read or go and do something like walking or whatever. i think we all hit periods when there is nothing we want to listen to or when we are sick of out music collection. i think if you do something else for a while and avoid the drugs you will be into it again in no time.

noumenal 02.26.2007 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
maybe you could take time out from things for a while nik and just read or go and do something like walking or whatever. i think we all hit periods when there is nothing we want to listen to or when we are sick of out music collection. i think if you do something else for a while and avoid the drugs you will be into it again in no time.

I agree - go hiking or camping or something. When you get back, instead of putting records on, start learning a new instrument.

foxforce5 02.26.2007 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ni'k

Being as immersed as you've been into music takes a large inverstment of energy, and it concerns me to see that energy gone, as you say, "for a long time now", not just for music, but for "much else in life".
I don't think you'll get over being "burnt out" by stumbling across new music. Changing your drug use may be something of a solution, but it seems likely the solution will go beyond just altering drug use.
Its incredibly frustrating to pop in a cd or movie or book you loved and lose interest 3 minutes in, or worse yet, be completly irratated by it. Or to find you now dislike being around friends and family. Or food. Or hot tubs. Or whatever it may be.
SYR2 enjoyment as a litmus test for satisfaction with life?
Ummm, maybe.
Perhaps you could try to find someone you can trust who can help you find decent options/solutions. If you want.

jon boy 02.26.2007 04:16 AM

i would also suggest listening to something that you have not heard before and dont stick yo one style of music, try them all. you never know you might love it.

jon boy 02.26.2007 04:46 AM

yes^ agree with the net thing totaly.

its easy to become frustrated or board if you dont have any info on music or the opportunity to download and explore it.