Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is Trump really a serious contender for the Republican nomination? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=113183)

_tunic_ 02.28.2017 01:35 AM

Severian 02.28.2017 11:35 AM

Hey tunic,
that's funny and all, but I'm just wondering: do you live in the U.S.?

This is exactly the kind of thing that is feeding Trump and his supporters. His approval rates may be down, but he still has a lock on people's fears. Activists are being labeled rioters. Actual rioters are being used to drive home the perspective that Trump is somehow protecting the nation from seething, aggressive, violent threats to the American way of life.

Personally, I'm trying to take a more restrained approach to this, and I've had more success convincing Trumpeters of the genuine threats he and his administration pose when I distance myself from this kind of thing. Every emotional, angry response to this insanity is being construed as confirmation of Trump's beliefs and the necessity of his presence in the White House by scared little xenophobes everywhere.

Just saying.

Severian 02.28.2017 11:45 AM

Also, I did attend a congressional town hall meeting, but had to do so in a professional capacity which meant removing my opinions from the situation entirely.

A lot of angry people showed up to hold their rep. accountable for putting off constituents. A lot of happy people also showed up to tell those angry people to shut up, but overall it was satisfying to hear people cheer when audience members asked important questions about how their rep. felt about Russian hacking, the lifting of EPA regulations, the massive problem of repealing ACA, and the shutting out of the press.

Has anyone else attended a town hall or "coffee hours" or anything of the sort? I want to stress again that this is extremely important. These elected officials need to see how pissed off people are. Public opinion is the thing. We all want to protect our jobs, and when politicians feel that their ability to retain the seat back might be slipping away, self-preservation will eventually kick in, and they'll start "looking out for no. 1" and go with the tide.

If your reps aren't holding town halls, or are avoiding constituents, and you're kissed about it, you should be calling them every single day. Literally... every day. Don't let up.

Things are going to get so much worse. There's no time to waste.

_tunic_ 02.28.2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Hey tunic,
that's funny and all, but I'm just wondering: do you live in the U.S.?

No, I'm Dutch. But those pictures come (mostly) from Germany. It was Carnival this week, so there were parades all over the place in certain parts of certain European countries.

We have our own elections coming up in Netherlands on the 15th of March. We have a choice of 20+ parties to choose from, Wilders' party is currently on top in the polls. So I'm very much fearing that he will win the elections. But even if he wins, it wouldn't make him the president. He needs to form a coalition with other parties and none of the bigger parties want to cooperate with him. At least that's what they're saying now ...

evollove 02.28.2017 03:22 PM

^ Oh neat. Another bully. Just what we need. (Wilders I mean.)

Quote:

Don't let up.

I let up.

You don't get what it's like in a gerrymandered district. My rep has no earthly reason to hold an open town hall. What's the worst that'll happen? People who weren't going to vote for him still aren't?

My rep did meet with one or two local organizations. In one, he said he feared a Gabby Giffords incident at a town hall. Hilarious considering his very stubborn policy against any sort of gun control.

You didn't mention if your rep was rep or dem.

!@#$%! 02.28.2017 03:26 PM

yeah that's from the german carnival!

there's a very long tradition of making fun of the powerful during carnival-- at least outside the US

the poor get to be kings and the kings get made fun of

happy mardi gras "y'all"

Severian 02.28.2017 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
^ Oh neat. Another bully. Just what we need. (Wilders I mean.)

I let up.

You don't get what it's like in a gerrymandered district. My rep has no earthly reason to hold an open town hall. What's the worst that'll happen? People who weren't going to vote for him still aren't?

My rep did meet with one or two local organizations. In one, he said he feared a Gabby Giffords incident at a town hall. Hilarious considering his very stubborn policy against any sort of gun control.

You didn't mention if your rep was rep or dem.

I have no idea what it's like to live in a gerrymandered district?

You couldn't be more wrong on that one, friend.

My guy's a Republican. Has been for a couple of years now since I moved out of the city. Certainly a far cry from where I cast my first ballots in the Pacific Northwest. I've lived and voted in a lot of different places. I happen to be in a super fucked up place right now, even without gerrymandering. But I'm new to the area still.. maybe I'll lose my fire after a couple more years of getting absolutely fucking nowhere.

Sad to hear you say you let up.

Severian 02.28.2017 06:57 PM

I'm thinking about trying to move back to Washington state. I'd have to go broke, and be ok with pretty much being broke forever, because it's ridiculously expensive to live there, but I'm going to start sending out resumes.

!@#$%! 02.28.2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking about trying to move back to Washington state. I'd have to go broke, and be ok with pretty much being broke forever, because it's ridiculously expensive to live there, but I'm going to start sending out resumes.

you can live wherever you want if you learn to live cheaply instead of like an aspirational spender

i can hook you up with good literature

The Soup Nazi 02.28.2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
live cheaply instead of like an aspirational spender

This is also known as living like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle: in the sewer and eating bits of pizza from the trash.

ilduclo 02.28.2017 07:40 PM

but, you may get aspiration pneumonia down in the sewers, though....

!@#$%! 02.28.2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
This is also known as living like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle: in the sewer and eating bits of pizza from the trash.

haaaa haaa haaaaa haaaaa

you're doing it wrong, fool!

Severian 02.28.2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Baha!

!@#$%! 02.28.2017 09:54 PM

pizza costs very little to make btw

selling pizza is good business

!@#$%! 03.01.2017 08:39 AM

so.... i read the orange fucker's speech. i read instead of watching cuz i can't stand his gaping piehole.

and it wasn't a bad speech actually. i disagree strongly with some parts, and he still bullshits of course (what politician doesn't), but overall it seemed well written.

i hate the fact that i liked parts of it, but there it is: i did.

ilduclo 03.01.2017 09:44 AM

Shit, Sev, I got rich in Washington....then lost a lot of it in Oregon..

evollove 03.01.2017 11:07 AM

Didn't watch, didn't read. Just went to youtube to check out Colbert's response. Leave me alone. My bubble's comfy.

Severian 03.01.2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
Shit, Sev, I got rich in Washington....then lost a lot of it in Oregon..

Oh yeah... you're the one whose from WA (that I know of).

Anywau, good for you. I don't know Oregon as well as I know Washington, so I'll have to assume until you correct me that you got rich on either a) Windows or Starbucks investments that we all wish we'd made in like 1994 or b) by being a post-Amazon/tech boom/gentrification real estate mogul... and that you lost it on either heroin or coffee.

Now you have to tell me, bevause in my head right now you're the most bottom-hitting junkie ever.

Severian 03.01.2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Didn't watch, didn't read. Just went to youtube to check out Colbert's response. Leave me alone. My bubble's comfy.

I didn't watch either. Didn't read. Non-stop barrage of AP alerts containing bits and pieces is all I can take right now, but I will say this:

Blaming William Owens' death on the military/Obama admin. is, while factually true (guy wouldn't be dead if he hadn't signed up) the most fucking repugnant thing I've heard... well, I was going to say "ever," but instead I'll go for "this week."

Really, Donald? No "he was a hero, this was a tragedy, the high cost we pay to secure our freedom" bullshit even? Just ... blame shirking? I wonder how veterans are going to respond to that.

One vet I know, who served in Afghanistan and enlisted immediately after 9/11, said "I would never serve under this man." Hopefully more people feel the same way.

ilduclo 03.01.2017 11:30 AM

nope, we gained it because the wages are high in Wa, and I got huge amounts of overtime. Plus the sales tax there didn't hurt much, since I've never been a real consumer. NO INCOME TAX in Wa!! Then, in Oregon, similar cost of living, way worse tax structure (IMO, but not according to many others). OR relies a lot on property taxes, which are horribly inequitable, even from house to house on a single block, let alone from city to city and county to county, etc. And then OR has a very non-progressive income tax, so that I pay the same rate as a really rich fuck, even though I'm far from that now, more mid-mid or lower mid now..the big problem here in OR was that I got a huge pay cut moving here, and then Ms Ild was never able to find good work here in Science. She did micro-biology lab work, very well remunirated in WA but in OR they hire college students and pay min wage......I did great in Wa, you can, too!

!@#$%! 03.01.2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

nope, we gained it because the wages are high in Wa, and I got huge amounts of overtime. Plus the sales tax there didn't hurt much, since I've never been a real consumer. NO INCOME TAX in Wa!! Then, in Oregon, similar cost of living, way worse tax structure (IMO, but not according to many others). OR relies a lot on property taxes, which are horribly inequitable, even from house to house on a single block, let alone from city to city and county to county, etc. And then OR has a very non-progressive income tax, so that I pay the same rate as a really rich fuck, even though I'm far from that now, more mid-mid or lower mid now.....I did great in Wa, you can, too!

you're already retired no? so-- you have money to burn. plus you had different studies/industry/etc. retirees are the most affluent demographic.

his challenge right now as a millenial burdened with debt (i think) is to have savings and a positive cash flow for the move.

the 3 main areas of cost for a person in that situation usually are:

1) housing, 2) transportation, 3) food/groceries

===

severales:

1) housing is easily solved by getting rid of STUFF. stuff requires space. space costs a lot of money in cities. space also requires heating and cooling and furniture, and all that costs money and moving expenses (trucks, crews, theft, etc).

solution: sell all, go digital, get a uniform/capsule wardrobe, rent a monastic cell in the new town and a bank box for your must-keep things.

the only great piece of furniture you need is a mattress. not even a bed proper.

rental can be a room in a shared house or a studio apartment or some sort of dorm situation like some tech workers have. tiny houses in people's backyards, in-law houses, etc. even in a city, one can get something small for $500/person or less. go to student areas if need be.

if you need more space, YOU'RE NOW IN A BIG CITY. use it.

as for cooking--you can do most cooking in a microwave oven. fuck stoves (i have a stove and it's ok but could live without it)

2) transportation: selling an extra vehicle gives you a nice nest egg for the move. better yet if you do it upon arriving as cars command higher prices in cities.

since you'll be applying for jobs first (you're sending resumes, whatever), the best option is to get rid of vehicular need by looking to live within walking/biking distance of work or easy access to public transportation. save tons in car payments, insurance, fuel, repairs, parking (pricey in cities), accoutrements (lol), etc. in some jobs, metro cards & such can be pre-tax. $200/mo TOPS. but with walking it goes down to $0, plus a free workout.

alternatively if you work home-based just live somewhere walkable where you can do most of your life there.

if you need the occasional vehicle maybe get a taxi/uber ride or look into zipcar or whatever it's called these days but you're not tied down to a monthly obligation & babysitting.

3) food/groceries: design a staple-based menu that fits nutritional requirements and is easy to make. if going vegetarian, you can easily go for $100/mo even in cities. brownbag all lunches and eat at home as much as you can. for $4/day one can actually eat well. just google "leanne brown cheap and good" for free pdf. you're welcome. eta: okay, here: https://cookbooks.leannebrown.com/good-and-cheap.pdf <-- read the intro

again the microwave can take care of most things. a hotplate can be had for like $20, induction is like $100 and those rule. just don't blow the fuses w/ the microwave & hotplate in the same circuit lol. for some people like the japanese, a unitasker like the rice cooker is useful.

as for non-essentials:

entertainment - cities are blessed with abundant libraries and free opportunities like outdoor music, museums, & plenty of street theatre. get a basic internet for the monastic cell, but if i comes with a contract maybe your cell plan is enough while things get sorted.

if you plan to go out drinking some times, a flask in your pocket cuts costs significantly.

to go out to eat, lunch is cheaper than dinner and many hole-in-the-wall places have the tastiest foods

phone service - cell is an essental nowadays but "in theory" you could use an internet phone at home (google voice) for free with your ipod/ipad/laptop. as for cells sometimes the main providers have the best deals, but in cities all reception is good and look to pay-as-you-go services like republic wireless, virgin mobile, bla bla etc. shop around/sign no contracts/ look into android (i know, i know) if your iphone breaks.

[note: since i live in 1500 acres of forest far from utilities, i have satellite internet. my quota is 25GB/mo. tough? yeah. doable? sure. worth it for me? fuck the hell yes]

ONCE THE JOB IS STABLE and there's a steady positive cash flow and a clear career path, save some for emergencies/fuck-you money, pay off debts first, and then start building life according to what you have, not what you wish you had, and there is no limit from there.

some people who do this just keep saving so that they can fuck off to anywhere at the drop of a hat instead of "getting more stuff".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

--

final words a la jerry springer: "broke" is relative. there's cash flow broke and net worth broke. avoid both. keep your cash flow always positive and use that to build your net worth. no matter the scale, the formula always works (it also works in the opposite, to fuck you up eventually if you spend more than you earn, no matter how much you earn, spending more than that will break you).

Severian 03.01.2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

nope, we gained it because the wages are high in Wa, and I got huge amounts of overtime. Plus the sales tax there didn't hurt much, since I've never been a real consumer. NO INCOME TAX in Wa!! Then, in Oregon, similar cost of living, way worse tax structure (IMO, but not according to many others). OR relies a lot on property taxes, which are horribly inequitable, even from house to house on a single block, let alone from city to city and county to county, etc. And then OR has a very non-progressive income tax, so that I pay the same rate as a really rich fuck, even though I'm far from that now, more mid-mid or lower mid now..the big problem here in OR was that I got a huge pay cut moving here, and then Ms Ild was never able to find good work here in Science. She did micro-biology lab work, very well remunirated in WA but in OR they hire college students and pay min wage......I did great in Wa, you can, too!

Well, I struggled financially there... but that was... Jesus... 2001? Around there? I don't know. I ended up doing OK, but "rich" in Seattle is kind of unfathomable to me. (Actually scratch that, because I know Mercer Island and Redmond folks aplenty... but I can't quite fathom ever being one.)

Anyway. I really am considering sending out some resumes, but I've had two major career shifts in my life, and I like what I'm doing right now. If I can find sustainable employment in my (adoptive) field, I'll hop on a plane. I am sick of cities though, so not Seattle. Small-ish town life suits my revved up, anxious, neurotic state of mind.

ilduclo 03.01.2017 05:24 PM

we lived in Briar, nice little community, close in, but pretty quiet

!@#$%! 03.01.2017 08:07 PM

here's a fun one for any and all:

http://twocents.lifehacker.com/hack-...-mo-1792836184

Shaka Moloch 03.02.2017 12:20 AM

I am now in Idaho, looking into Idaho Medical Marijuana Association needing 50,000 signatures to get Medical Marijuana onto a ballot by 2018. I was in Washington for a decade, and wonder: why, I must be in partial denial of having seen a sleek particle detector emerge from the hands of someone investigating about a friend of mines' home, ticking like the radiation fields I've heard go off in some video game like MGS and/or Fallout... just how much of a crapshoot are we looking at with the still-flailing Fukushima-crisis? This was just around the area of the University of Washington after a light rain.
I remain frazzled by that curious time; no one seemed to comment on the machine and its read. Like as if we'd always known our caves better and dangerous light seems to be flitting near the chasm-way keeping us from discovery, yet the light is just being employed to lure us out--they've heard us! Or maybe I did ask if a "Radio-activity Reader" had just been deployed outside of my buddies' home which cackled off to the sound of picking up heinous chatter.
Denial nevertheless lingers on. At what point do we write in for a disaster-relief fund?

Radiation levels of about 650 sieverts per hour have been detected in the containment vessel of reactor No. 2.

Iron Man and Stark Industries are working on the de-radiation ceremonies, yes?

A frozen soil barrier has been constructed in an attempt to prevent further contamination of seeping groundwater by melted-down nuclear fuel,[20] but in July 2016 TEPCO revealed that the ice wall had failed to stop groundwater from flowing in and mixing with highly radioactive water inside the wrecked reactor buildings, adding that they are "technically incapable of blocking off groundwater with the frozen wall"[21]

David Lee Fry, Malheur Wildlife Refugee takeover survivor, reports: " there is an 80% greater likelihood that people living on the west coast now will be in danger of developing cancer at a greater rate than normal for the next five to thirty years." He has spent time both in Japan and on the West Coast living. "Milk is the best line of defense for the average consumer," he continued, sure to tell me he was alright with however I chose to aid his case. I couldn't help thinking about lips and breasts, but focused long enough to hear his sure feeling that I should investigate http://defendyourbase.com/ or, more precisely: https://www.facebook.com/defendyourb...=page_internal.
Maybe we can build a wall of fire on the Pacific Coast beach-line if we have any extra time on our hands or with the PotUS' think-tank concocting a Wall for the border between southern North America and Central America with her great number of (as Border-Wars on National Geographic channel indicates) desperadoes?
What's safe now?

!@#$%! 03.02.2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaka Moloch
I am now in Idaho, looking into Idaho Medical Marijuana Association needing 50,000 signatures to get Medical Marijuana onto a ballot by 2018. I was in Washington for a decade, and wonder: why, I must be in partial denial of having seen a sleek particle detector emerge from the hands of someone investigating about a friend of mines' home, ticking like the radiation fields I've heard go off in some video game like MGS and/or Fallout... just how much of a crapshoot are we looking at with the still-flailing Fukushima-crisis? This was just around the area of the University of Washington after a light rain.
I remain frazzled by that curious time; no one seemed to comment on the machine and its read. Like as if we'd always known our caves better and dangerous light seems to be flitting near the chasm-way keeping us from discovery, yet the light is just being employed to lure us out--they've heard us! Or maybe I did ask if a "Radio-activity Reader" had just been employed outside of your home and cackled off to the sound of chatter.
Denial nevertheless lingers on. At what point do we write in for disaster relief?

Radiation levels of about 650 sieverts per hour have been detected in the containment vessel of reactor No. 2.

Iron Man and Stark Industries are working on the de-radiation ceremonies, yes?

A frozen soil barrier has been constructed in an attempt to prevent further contamination of seeping groundwater by melted-down nuclear fuel,[20] but in July 2016 TEPCO revealed that the ice wall had failed to stop groundwater from flowing in and mixing with highly radioactive water inside the wrecked reactor buildings, adding that they are "technically incapable of blocking off groundwater with the frozen wall"[21]

David Lee Fry, Malheur Wildlife Refugee takeover survivor, reports: "80% of people living on the west coast now will be in danger of developing cancer at a greater rate than normal for the next five to thirty years." He has spent time both in Japan and on the West Coast living. "Milk is the best line of defense for the average consumer," he continued, sure to tell me he was alright with however I chose to aid his case. I couldn't help thinking about lips and breasts, but focused long enough to hear his sure feeling that I should investigate http://defendyourbase.com/.
Maybe we can build a wall of fire on the Pacific Coast beach-line if we have any extra time on our hands or with the PotUS' think-tank concocting a Wall for the border between southern North America and Central America with her great number of (as Border-Wars on National Geographic channel indicates) desperadoes?
What's safe now?

you remind me a little of j.g. ballard

!@#$%! 03.02.2017 01:21 PM

jeff sessions

pants on fire

The Soup Nazi 03.02.2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

you remind me a little of j.g. ballard

->CRASH!<-

The Soup Nazi 03.02.2017 03:30 PM

Quote:

jeff sessions

pants on fire

FOR THE LOVE OF LAIKA, is there ANYONE in that monkey psychiatric house who hasn't been in touch with the Russians?

!@#$%! 03.02.2017 03:31 PM

i was thinking of teh atrocity exhibition actually in the interspersing of narrative with scientific discourse etc

Severian 03.02.2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

FOR THE LOVE OF LAIKA, is there ANYONE in that monkey psychiatric house who hasn't been in touch with the Russians?

It's just a game now. "How are they going to excuse THIS one and avoid what should be closed-book impeachment?" Fuck, we're all on our goddamn own, the government has been replaced with those aliens from the Simpsons, and it's just fucking theater of the absurd at this point.

I've been getting so mad about my news feed that I've been punching walls and screaming myself hoarse like a child. But fuck it. This is comedy.

Not really... I just can't get any more angry or I will literally explode. Just found out I have to buy a new furnace, which is just REALLY GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!! FFFUCKKKKK MY ASSS

yeah so being chill is a matter of medical necessity at this point.

The Soup Nazi 03.02.2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

i was thinking of teh atrocity exhibition actually in the interspersing of narrative with scientific discourse etc

YAH WELL, see, I just thought, hey, "crash" between posts, and since JGB actually wrote a novel named Crash, it seemed lightly pertinent, y'dig, and the avatars "crashing" wouldn't have gone that well with "Atrocity Exhibition" written between them, and... The joke is gone by now. :cool:

Currently my favorite Ballard novel is High Rise, by the by.

!@#$%! 03.02.2017 04:06 PM

i need more time for reading

i think im gonna eary-retire/take a sabbatical

yes! i need new glasses but that's it

SABBATICAL

& more books

Severian 03.02.2017 04:10 PM

Right now I hate the furnace guy more than I hate Donald Trump, I think.

Am I normalizing, or just popping a brain screw?

I'm going to go take some pills and laugh and cry and maybe masturbate in the corner.

!@#$%! 03.02.2017 04:11 PM

remember how in "tlön, uqbar, orbis tertius" which is a chronicle à clef of the descent of german idealism into nazy ideology, the author takes refuge from a world gone mad into literature, and is reading "una traducción quevediana de urn burial"?

well, i'm gonna do something like that while everything goes to shit around us.

literature as escapism fuck yeah

epicurus assist me

evollove 03.02.2017 04:12 PM

I've been feeling utterly defeated lately.

Session's press conference about to start. I bet on fuck-all happening. Hope I'm wrong.

!@#$%! 03.02.2017 04:14 PM

any of you shitheads speak french by any chance? my french is getting rusty. fuck fuck fuck.

i bet it would take me the whole of trump's presidency to finish à la recherche du temps perdu

help me practice

The Soup Nazi 03.02.2017 04:16 PM

Quote:

Right now I hate the furnace guy more than I hate Donald Trump, I think.

Am I normalizing, or just popping a brain screw?

I'm going to go take some pills and laugh and cry and maybe masturbate in the corner.

You know the Trumpocalypse is taking a big toll on you when you end up your post with something straight out of pepper_douche's repertoire. Get it together or your ass will be banned. ;)

!@#$%! 03.02.2017 04:17 PM

because it's all about getting your pleasures if you can and if i can take a sabbatical and avoid people it will be fucking fantastic

in case of nuclear attack, hide under the table

i say fuck yeah. and eat all the profiteroles

!@#$%! 03.02.2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Get it together or your ass will be banned. ;)

calla, paco

no amenaces