Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dirty versus Sister (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1728)

Daycare Nation 05.10.2006 09:33 PM

Dirty versus Sister

I would start a poll, but there's no point. Dirty is a much more mature album, with better-crafted songs, and better production. Blows Sister out of the water.

HaydenAsche 05.10.2006 09:42 PM

BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Sister is better. Pipeline/Kill Time pwns!

finding nobody 05.10.2006 10:18 PM

i agree with hayden

Everyneurotic 05.10.2006 10:24 PM

the best sy is in the fishtank because the ex and i.c.p. are on it and not just shitty youth

ANARCHO PUNX FOR EVER!!! THE EX!!!

umjammer atomsk 05.10.2006 10:31 PM

what? That's stupid, sister is way better. But to each his own i suppose.

krastian 05.10.2006 10:48 PM

Sister is my all time fave!!!

bucklebone 05.11.2006 10:20 AM

There are individual songs that I like better off of Dirty, but for the whole album feel, I would take Sister.

Dirty songs better than anything off of Sister: Sugar Kane, Chapel Hill, Creme Brulee, Purr

Although Sister has White Kross, Schizophrenia and Catholic Block...

Overall Sister gets 4 stars and Dirty gets 3 and 1/2.

That's final. NO MORE DISCUSSION.

crappydrummer 05.11.2006 12:55 PM

one thing that connects those albums is shitty drum sound. well maybe not shitty, but not enjoyable (at least for me). as for songs.. they're both good.

TheyLiveByNight 05.11.2006 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
I would start a poll, but there's no point. Dirty is a much more mature album, with better-crafted songs, and better production. Blows Sister out of the water.

I disagree. Much as I love Dirty, for me Sister has the definite edge. The guitars sound glorious, there's not a bad song on it. And Dirty doesn't have 'Schizophrenia'.

trainyard bliss 05.11.2006 05:29 PM

yea, you're likely to find that most people on this board prefer sister to almost any other sonic youth album. it was my favorite for a long time, but then daydream nation really hit me. no, it totally raped me, cut off my head, and shit down my neck . . . and i loved it.

Daycare Nation 05.11.2006 05:53 PM

cotton crown and schizophrenia are two of my favorite sonic youth songs, but the album as a whole just doesn't do it for me lately

alyasa 05.12.2006 02:55 AM

man, bucklebone's avatar rocks... anyway, i like dirty a lot, but that doesn't neccessarily make it a better album... i think thematically Sister has more consistency and depth..., but as daycare said, i kinda really like Dirty's production values. But then again I liked Slayer's Undisputed Attitude, so...

Bal 05.12.2006 03:57 AM

startin a thread like this on this forum is useless.. oldschool sy lovers will always say that sister is a much better album than dirty altough i love em both.
but of course i think sister is better, it has that 80's dirtyness wich i miss from dirty. everyone here says that dirty is a sell out pop album - but i dont agree with that. and even if it was a pop album i wouldnt care. its great.
and i dont agree with crappydrummer. on sister the drums sound weird mixed, but sound great imo.

bytheriver 05.16.2006 03:53 PM

Dirty has Theresas Soundworld, case closed

m^a(t)h 05.16.2006 03:57 PM

i like dirty more. Its the only album i like from their post BMR years...

trance feeeedback 05.16.2006 04:02 PM

I don't know why, but for some reason I fucking hate dirty. I think it's because out of all the SY albums it contains the most kim songs, also for some reason i find it extremley boring, it's hard for me to sit through the whole album.

scott v 05.16.2006 04:02 PM

The Sister songs played live since the 90's sound amazing, which tells you how oddly and poorly produced that album was... but that sort of recording asthetic is what defines the band during that time and gives that album and songs alot of character, i must admit that this album took forever for me to grow on because of how weird the balance is, the drums sound very "midrange"-y, the guitars have little "beef" and are very trebley but thats what i've grown to love about this album, as probably my fav. of their albums that feat. more of a straight ahead rock riff action.

lyrically its very good, and is influenced by one of my favorite writers, Philip K. Dick.

PunkerViolence 05.16.2006 04:03 PM

Sister is way better

trance feeeedback 05.16.2006 04:09 PM

hey, has anyone noticed that the lyrics to kim gordons panties by Rapeman, contain the first few lines of schzophrenia?

Daycare Nation 05.16.2006 07:35 PM

Dirty just seems to have more depth and atmosphere than Sister, and more feeling. People just don't like it because they think it's cooler to like the pre-Geffen songs.