Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Favorite Song off Rather Ripped (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1485)

Richard Pryor on Fire 05.03.2006 07:55 PM

Favorite Song off Rather Ripped

I know we aren't supposed to of heard the album yet, but come on... I'm going to buy the vinyl the day it comes out, but my favorite song is Incinerate, very solid and the chourus pedal really brings it together. What's everyone elses?

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 05.03.2006 07:57 PM

ive only heard two.

HaydenAsche 05.03.2006 08:00 PM

Don't even wanna listen.

Pablitzen 05.03.2006 08:10 PM

i've heard the paris gig...

the songs are pretty good...

i like Incinerate and Sleeping Around

kingcoffee 05.03.2006 10:23 PM

Musically, the best song is Rats by my main man Lee! This song features the best instrumentation of the whole album. The lyrics are a little bit strange, but seriously, what a fuckin good groove. The most "Sonic Youth" sounding song on the whole album.

DaBuddaDa 05.03.2006 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingcoffee
Musically, the best song is Rats by my main man Lee! This song features the best instrumentation of the whole album. The lyrics are a little bit strange, but seriously, what a fuckin good groove. The most "Sonic Youth" sounding song on the whole album.

It sounds like Disappearer part 2, I love it.

Society_In_My_Hole 05.03.2006 11:08 PM

I've only heard Reena and Incenerate. Reena is such a great song! Beautiful.

anok 05.03.2006 11:10 PM

or.

hebbel 05.04.2006 02:16 AM

jams run free

fishmonkey 05.04.2006 05:02 AM

i'm still digesting it really, much like how a python does to a smelly old doc martin boot down the bottom of the swamp, not that SY are a smelly old boot and quite frankly snakes, in my opinion present an aura of total evil that chills me to the bone but my favorie song so far would have to be.... Rats also. i played it for my friend who is Lee obsessed and waiting for the release date and he creamed himself.

kingcoffee 05.04.2006 08:58 AM

Damn straight. Rats really is the best song off Rather Ripped. It's the most Sonic Youth-y. Everything else on the record seems underdeveloped.

Rob Instigator 05.04.2006 09:01 AM

thieves!

thieves!!!! Thieves!!!!!!

for shame!!!

umjammer atomsk 05.04.2006 09:08 AM

reena and incinerate are all i've heard. i like them both but not hysterically.

Florya 05.04.2006 09:09 AM

OR.
I really like the little riff that sounds like it's lifted from 'The End'

Toxa 05.04.2006 09:42 AM

lights out

radical adult 05.04.2006 10:22 AM

Hmpf, I must admit, that

1. yes I heard rather ripped (now for the fifth or sixth time)
2. I tend increasingly to fail to see the point in paying money, if I can get the stuff much earlier and easier on the net - please: no morality - discussion right now!
3. rather ripped really doesn't knock me out of my socks so far. It has quite some good melodies and stuff and there are many good moments - MOMENTS!!. But come on: Sonic Youth used to have more POWER than that.
4. just look at some of the telltale titles: pink steam, neutral, or & in the end Thurston quotes some fan-questions with tired voice. Hey what's up: Bathing in indifference? Sonic Old at last????
5. half of the album seems to be a second extraction of "rain on tin".

Rob Instigator 05.04.2006 10:27 AM

each sonic album is different. each one grows on you. give it time

as far as STEALING the album, how is this going to help sonic youth boost their already dismal album sales? (see thread regarding this for list of albums and sales figures)
How does stealing the album early in any way add to the pleasure of the music?
How does stealing the album benefit anyone but the greedy thief?
WAIT people, WAIT and buy the fucking album direct from sonic youth if you want your money to go to them and not to BEST BUY or your local indie record store.
wait until you have the music as SONIC FUCKING YOUTH INTENDED YOU TO HAVE IT, not on some bullshit sounding leaked MP3.

Long Live sonic youth and long live TRUE FANS

just cuz you are going to buy it later does not mean you did not STEAL IT.

If I steal a stereo, test it out and see that i like it, then go back to the store and purchase another stereo exactly like the one I stole, that does NOT MAKE IT BETTER DAMNIT!

think people!

whorefrost 05.04.2006 10:47 AM

Jams Run Free

whorefrost 05.04.2006 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Pryor on Fire
I know we aren't supposed to of heard the album yet, but come on... I'm going to buy the vinyl the day it comes out, but my favorite song is Incinerate, very solid and the chourus pedal really brings it together. What's everyone elses?

chorus pedals really get to me for some reason...

radical adult 05.04.2006 10:48 AM

@ rob instigator: come on, please don't be so self-righteous!

there are more than one interview in which sy (specially thurston) adopts a clear pro-downloading position! "music should be available for free & for all" or something like that.

I bought every single official album, you freak! Maybe we should compare our collection to see who is the real fan (I am getting real teenager-like today!)

Maybe this album grows on me, but all I can say right now: This album disappointed me & no other sy-album did this in the past 12 years since I started being the sy-head I still am.