Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

cagedbird 12.16.2009 05:04 PM

Lou Reed "New York"

wellcharge 12.16.2009 05:15 PM

martin lubenov-kasalbaschki kyuchek

cagedbird 12.16.2009 10:22 PM

SuperCreep 12.17.2009 03:27 AM

noisereductions 12.17.2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
That's because it's badass for that. I wrote a 2000 word essay in 3 hours this morning before physically having to run as fast as possible to hit the deadline (by 30 seconds!), and it's due to blasting the whole of that at top volume while comically coffeed up.

Box Set aside, VOL 9 + 0 is by far my favorite album of the series. In fact, I think it would be in my Top 10 DOOM albums.

noisereductions 12.17.2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
VVVV is the best doom album

he has 2 albums that can be abreviated as VVVV. :cool:

noisereductions 12.17.2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Listening to Daylight just as I realise that I've stayed up all night and the sun has come up behind the curtains, then opening them = A MOMENT

"Daylight" is Aesop's crowning achievement. I don't think he could ever get this close to perfection again.

Tokolosh 12.17.2009 10:06 AM

Melt Banana - Peel Session.

sonic sphere 12.17.2009 11:22 AM

The Earl Of Slander 12.17.2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
"Daylight" is Aesop's crowning achievement. I don't think he could ever get this close to perfection again.

So true. He's got other sick tracks, and the whole album is pretty great, but DAMN that track is the killer...

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Box Set aside, VOL 9 + 0 is by far my favorite album of the series. In fact, I think it would be in my Top 10 DOOM albums.

I only have the box set. It it really worth shelling out of the separate releases? Also, at some point your going to have to PM a list of the non-'proper studio album' Doom releases that I need to check out.

Currently:

I'd happily say that 'Definition' is one of the top 20 (sometimes top 10) hip-hop singles ever, with no qualifications.

noisereductions 12.17.2009 12:18 PM

^Blackstar is a great album.

I tend to listen to the individual HERBS a lot more than the box. Probably cuz I bought them as they came out, so they actually feel like specific albums to me. When it comes to the box, I really only listen to disc 3 regularly, since there was no full length KMD instrumental albums prior (other than the BB instrumental EP).

As for a rundown of DOOM releases, I was actually planning on doing that for you anyway. It'll take me a little while though, but I'll really outline it well for you.

The Earl Of Slander 12.17.2009 12:24 PM

Fair enough dude, would be mega appreciated. There's a few I still don't have even from the 'big releases', namely VVVV II and Mr. Hood. I also don't have the Monster Island Czars album or the MF EP. Or the special blends release. Need some serious buying.

And yeah, Blackstar is badass. Sometimes I even prefer Reflection Eternal though (in large part for Expansion Outro). Black On Both Sides is also a classic. Quality is pretty good, but doesn't have the same place in my heart. After that they both fell off a bit, but damn they were sick in the day. I don't have the new Mos yet.

The Earl Of Slander 12.17.2009 12:57 PM

But basically just 'Fire In Which You Burn Slow' on fucking loop. I'd also be willing to say that El-Ps verse in that is without question in my top 10 verses ever spat. 'Even when I say nothing it's a beautiful use of negative space' is my all time favourite rap boast.

noisereductions 12.17.2009 01:08 PM

^"I've been the nastiest one since birth...." You have El-P's FANTASTIC DAMAGE, right? If not, stop what yr doing and go get it. Utterly essential.

The Earl Of Slander 12.17.2009 01:12 PM

On triple vinyl :) Stepfather Factory is another of my faves. I don't have the second album though. Should get that right? The main Def Jux I'm missing is Cannibal Ox, which I don't own (I know I know, boo!)

cagedbird 12.17.2009 01:40 PM

noisereductions 12.17.2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

On triple vinyl :) Stepfather Factory is another of my faves. I don't have the second album though. Should get that right? The main Def Jux I'm missing is Cannibal Ox, which I don't own (I know I know, boo!)

Can Ox's COLD VEIN is must-have. El-P's I'LL SLEEP WHEN YOU'RE DEAD is good, but not even close to FANDAM. "Step Father Factory" is maybe one of the 5 best singles DEF JUX ever released. But FANDAM in general is ridiculous.

The Earl Of Slander 12.17.2009 02:39 PM

I know. Deep Space 9mm? HOLY SHIT! And yeah, Cold Vein is high on my 'must gets'. I literally owned 2 'proper' hip-hop albums in January (I Take A Nation Of Millions... and Dr. Octagonacologyst), and hadn't listen to either or enjoyed them that much outside of Bring The Noise and Blue Flowers, so it's been a shitting ton of catch up.

noisereductions 12.17.2009 02:50 PM

the "sign to Ruckus?..." line in "Deep Space 9MM" is an incredible moment. And what about the segue into the instrumental ending of "Time Out Of Joint?"

The Earl Of Slander 12.17.2009 02:51 PM

Holy shit, I'm just relistening to 'The Fire In Which You Burn Slow' a stupid amount. This happens every time!