Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   An important album from your childhood (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14486)

screamingskull 07.04.2007 12:01 PM

An important album from your childhood

I remember my mum playing this constantly for about 5 years, i still know the words to every single song.

some songs from that album - watch!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIKGH...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GhQS...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQlH4...elated&search=

cryptowonderdruginvogue 07.04.2007 12:15 PM

when i was 4...

jimbrim 07.04.2007 12:20 PM

LittlePuppetBoy 07.04.2007 12:23 PM

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

screamingskull 07.04.2007 12:26 PM

To clarify by childhood i mean from when you were born to the age of about 10.

king_buzzo 07.04.2007 12:31 PM

Kraftwerk's Man-Machine
War of the Worlds audio book (yep, the old one)
Neil Young-Decade, Trans

Tokolosh 07.04.2007 12:34 PM

... and I'm not joking. It's the only record I owned at the time.

andrei 07.04.2007 12:44 PM

Pink Floyd's Animals / Dark Side / Wall / Wish You Were Here were constantly listened by my father. At some point i was hating those albums.

Bollocks_to_Pop 07.04.2007 12:53 PM

As lame as it sounds, The Beatles 1. I live in a family where rock music of any sort isn't played. I never got into music really because of that. My dad decided to buy The Beatles 1 for my mom. I didn't know who The Beatles were at the time. After listening to the whole I fell in love with music.

atsonicpark 07.04.2007 12:59 PM

The first albums I remember hearing were: Guns N Roses - Appetite for Deustrction, Metallica - Master of Puppets, and Suicidal Tendencies - Lights Camera Revolution..

Danny Himself 07.04.2007 01:07 PM

I'm going to go by records my parents owned:

My uncle knew the drummer from Dodgy, this correspondence eventually led up to me letting their drummer borrow the throne/stool from my drum set when he played T in the Park in 2004 with his new band.

My uncle did not know anyone from Queen, but I remember listening to them a lot as a child for reasons unknown.

My dad used to play this to me when I was a baby.

And Travis. Both my parents loved Travis. I think it was 'the man who' that mostly got played, I don't remember too well..

Bertrand 07.04.2007 01:18 PM

Even though my mother liked to sing, my parents had few to none interest in recorded music.
The only album my father would play was a double LP by Boby Lapointe.
They had two disks of Robert Schuman music, which I never heard them play, and one of Wagner for my brother (when he turned 16 or 17).
As kids, we were played Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker on a label designed to suit children's tastes. That's all I can remember, this one and a 7" from a cartoon called Vicky the Viking.
I couldn't hum any of those tunes now though.

Et Petit Papa Noël de Tino Rossi, un must, how could I forget, we can't escape this one even now

Glice 07.04.2007 01:22 PM

I find it astounding that Danny's parents listened to Nirvana. Not doubting, it's just that my parents were of the generation that heard the Beatles when they were 15 or so, and I doubt if they've heard of Nirvana.

Personally, it was Jim Reeves, loads of old country/ Irish, Meatloaf & Queen from the parents' side, loads of gay stuff from my sister (Erasure, Bros, NKOTB) and loads of punk from my brothers side (standard British punk). I was quite lucky really.

confusionisben 07.04.2007 01:25 PM

demonrail666 07.04.2007 01:33 PM

Dead-Air 07.04.2007 01:48 PM

The story/soundtrack to The Point by Nilson was pretty affecting for me. My parents weren't hippies and didn't overall go for that culture, but this record and cartoon somehow crossed over to people like them as o.k. to play for your kids. Brilliantly subversive, that!

SynthethicalY 07.04.2007 02:06 PM

Some spanish country-folk type. And a lot of meruenge, and cumbias.

Danny Himself 07.04.2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I find it astounding that Danny's parents listened to Nirvana. Not doubting, it's just that my parents were of the generation that heard the Beatles when they were 15 or so, and I doubt if they've heard of Nirvana.

I suppose it's odd. My dad was about 24 when I was born so maybe that will clear some things up.

Пятхъдесят Шест 07.04.2007 02:26 PM

Maybe these aren't as important as they are strong memories of what the soundtrack to my childhood years was like.

I was babysit by an older cousin during the summer months, and many winter weekends, thus she would play things like....

Savage Clone 07.04.2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
The story/soundtrack to The Point by Nilson was pretty affecting for me. My parents weren't hippies and didn't overall go for that culture, but this record and cartoon somehow crossed over to people like them as o.k. to play for your kids. Brilliantly subversive, that!

And our aesthetic paths arrive at yet another eerie coincidence.
The Point was HUGE in our house while I was in my earliest years. HUGE. I have it still, and still listen to it on occasion. The cartoon is great too.

My parents were most definitely hippie weirdo freaks at that time though, so I guess there are still a few differences between us.

The soundtrack cassette in my dad's converted-for-living Dodge Tradesman 200 (with real cedar paneling for the interior - smelled really good) when we moved across the country in 1976 (and back again two years later) consisted largely of the Moody Blues' "In Search Of The Lost Chord" and "On The Threshold Of A Dream," both of which also share a special place in my heart and home, and probably represent the beginnings of my interest in Mystical Shit With Mellotrons. My dad is pretty "cosmic" and would try and enlighten me on the over-arching themes in music like this. I know now just how pompous and overblown this stuff is, but I still like it even so.