Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is Bad Moon Rising a concept album? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19625)

This Is Not Here 02.11.2008 01:26 PM

Is Bad Moon Rising a concept album?

I was wondering this last night when I was listening to Bad Moon Rising, the band described it as their 'Americana' album, profiling American society in 1985. Certain tracks like Society is A Hole do go a long way to explaining this, whilst others bare apparently no relation to these grandiose themes.
If Sonic Youth adopted the typically punk-rock scorn of stadium prog acts like Pink Floyd and Genesis, surely they'd want to steer away from this. However, if anyone gives a flying turtle fuck what Ben Weasel thinks, Sonic Youth and their fellow No-Wavers were punk-rocks answer to prog rock. What do you guys think?

Magic Wheel Memory 02.11.2008 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
If Sonic Youth adopted the typically punk-rock scorn of stadium prog acts like Pink Floyd and Genesis, surely they'd want to steer away from this.

Why?

This Is Not Here 02.11.2008 01:56 PM

Good point, good point. I guess because the concept album was so claimed by prog rock, if they'd not want to associate themselves with prog rock, they'd not release a concept album. Also, generally the asthetics of punk-rock dictated that the over-considered and the downright pretentious was the enemy.

SYRFox 02.11.2008 02:33 PM

I don't think it was made as a concept album, but there's a special atmosphere all over the album that maybe makes this "concept album" thing relevant. I don't know. I just listen to the music...

This Is Not Here 02.11.2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
bmr the top sy "concept album"..

Ah, so you think theres more than 1? What other SY albums do you consider concept albums? I have to disagree with you though, I don't think each track bleeding into the next one or a consistent atmosphere makes this a concept album, this album has both of those things, but that just makes it a damn good suite of music. A concept album by my understanding almost has a purpose, something it tries to deal with and describe, elements of which are dealt with in each track...

mil_pl 02.11.2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

I was wondering this last night when I was listening to Bad Moon Rising, the band described it as their 'Americana' album, profiling American society in 1985. Certain tracks like Society is A Hole do go a long way to explaining this, whilst others bare apparently no relation to these grandiose themes.
If Sonic Youth adopted the typically punk-rock scorn of stadium prog acts like Pink Floyd and Genesis, surely they'd want to steer away from this. However, if anyone gives a flying turtle fuck what Ben Weasel thinks, Sonic Youth and their fellow No-Wavers were punk-rocks answer to prog rock. What do you guys think?

i was wondering about the same thing.

This Is Not Here 02.11.2008 04:08 PM

Na, sorry, I still think Bad Moon Rising is the only Sonics album that might possibly be a concept album, MAYBE Daydream too though.

Its interesting that 1000 leaves is your favourite, thats my least favourite, and Sunday is the track that saves it for me (though the video is pretty damned nausiating).

tesla69 02.11.2008 04:24 PM

the concept is 'this is fucking great'

SYRFox 02.11.2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
welcome, This Is Not Here.

the atmosphere and the songs flowing in an album is how i (incorrectly) think of an album as a "concept" one and on this basis, have always been considering bmr the top sy "concept album"..

Actually I think a concept album is really when the band focus on one idea on the creation of the songs. For instance, Liars' "They Were Wrong, So We Drowned" that was entirely constructed around witches stories. There... I don't think it's the case.
But yeah, hypertonic is right, in this sense The Whitey Album is almost a concept album.

SYRFox 02.11.2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
the concept is 'this is fucking great'

Exactly.

This Is Not Here 02.11.2008 05:02 PM

This thread reminded me of this. Courtesy of Toothpastefordinner.com. Forgot about the Whitey Album, suppose it could be, couldn't it.

Forensic Scene 02.11.2008 10:00 PM

i know this might seem like a stretch, but washing machine has a concept kind of vibe. the instumental sound of becuz, unwind, washing machine...

isnt WM the song about the future?

Forensic Scene 02.11.2008 10:01 PM

p.s. explain the Sonic Nurse concept idea

auto-aim 02.11.2008 10:02 PM

I've never thought..... or even considered it a concept album.... I think think concept albums for the most part are lame - though i may make one if i ever do music in the future... I always liked the songs kindo bleeding each other making the whole thing one. Who cares - it's good shit... get what you want out of it... just don't kill anyone!

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 02.11.2008 11:22 PM

I can enjoy a good concept album.
I believe all of Cursive's albums are concept albums.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 02.11.2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

This thread reminded me of this. Courtesy of Toothpastefordinner.com. Forgot about the Whitey Album, suppose it could be, couldn't it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dead-Air 02.12.2008 01:27 AM

Well, it 'aint their version of "Operation Mindcrime"...

Bad Moon is probably their most linked together album and it certainly can be (ought to be!) listened to as one big song/suite, but if you actually look at most of their albums that's the case. Certainly they were starting to go that way with Confusion is Sex and then they fully realized it with Bad Moon. But then Evol has the concept of breaking what had become known as Sonic Youth into chunks of pop songs. Sister clearly has a lot of PKD related themes running through it, and Daydream Nation is about, you know...

And so on.

The classic definition of an art rock "concept album" was a record that was essentially the soundtrack to a narrative story. So Bad Moon Rising is not that. It does, however, heavily imply that type of thing without really being it. It's like Eno's record Music for Films is to an actual movie soundtrack.

jetengine 02.12.2008 10:11 PM

Virtually all the Sonic Youth albums are concept albums, just some more so than others.

Cantankerous 02.12.2008 10:15 PM

Their albums wouldn't be good if they were concept albums being that the only band who has EVER relased a good concept album is Pink Floyd..considering that from Dark side on, all of their albums were concept albums (and i am not counting anything after the wall because the final cut was basically waters solo, and after that w/o waters they are nothing)

themawt71 02.13.2008 12:49 AM

mike watt?

contemplating the engine room?

nels cline > david gilmore