Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   so.... new GGD (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=25599)

davenotdead 09.15.2008 06:10 PM

so.... new GGD

is gooood. the first few listens i was just trying to get the vibe off of it... and I didn't think it was as cohesive as God's Money... but it is. and it is better. it's really good and I've had a hard time listening to anything else the past few days

atsonicpark 09.15.2008 07:16 PM

I'll check it out.

They're one of those bands I like but am never excited about.

ZEROpumpkins 09.15.2008 07:51 PM

Are we talking about Goo Goo Dolls? I didn't think anyone here would dig them.

atsonicpark 09.15.2008 08:06 PM

hahaha.

batreleaser 09.15.2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I'll check it out.

They're one of those bands I like but am never excited about.

same. they are tolerable, but at the same time do NOTHING that excites me. prolly how i feel about something like pissed jeans, but at least pissed jeans rocks, so they will always win over gang gang dance. and like excepter too, ive heard great stuff by them, but i never get excited about them, but they also rock sometimes. actually, yknow what, i hate gang gang dance.

chairman of the bored 09.15.2008 09:30 PM

i saw them play mostly, i presuming, the new shit last month in central park...some of it was incredible, then somehow instantaneously boring leftover hippie jamming, then amazing again, then ruined by the terrible vocals. but still, id like to give it a listen.

davenotdead 09.15.2008 09:35 PM

old-school excepter is more hit-or-miss to me... the new stuff rules. but i like this GGD better.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 09.15.2008 09:40 PM

I hate band Acronyms.
I like Gang Gang Dance though.

dionysusundone 09.15.2008 10:26 PM

New album's amazing. I like it way better than anything else they've done.

SYRFox 09.16.2008 12:35 PM

I decided not to download leaks anymore, so I haven't checked it, but I heard that Princes track and it's fantastic. I have a few bootlegs with material from Saint Dymphna as well and it sounds awesome, especially Vacuum. I can't wait to get the album

SYRFox 09.16.2008 12:36 PM

GGD is one my favorite bands by the way, and I consider God's Money as a masterpiece

king_buzzo 09.16.2008 01:06 PM

uhh, which band is this thread about?

davenotdead 09.16.2008 01:10 PM

gang gang dance.

how do people not know this?

when i started the thread i didn't think to differentiate between them and the goo goo dolls because i forgot that goo goo dolls existed... apparently they are still on some people's musical radars? damn y'all

edit__ i don't want to appear harsh. i just realized buzzo and pumpkins were the ones in question... and they are both outside of the US where stuff tends to linger or just takes a while to get there, so they can be excused.

and actually, that was one of the things i liked least about being in australia and living with europeans/aussies for a year... a lot of people didn't get my humor and stuff because it's like 4 years in advance for them. for example stuff like goo goo dolls and afi aren't punch lines over there yet. i mean it happens in the states too, just much less often

batreleaser 09.16.2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
GGD is one my favorite bands by the way, and I consider God's Money as a masterpiece

yeah, right up there with 'free jazz', 'white light white heat', 'pithecancorpus erectus', and 'fun house'.

sorry for being a cunt, obviosuly we have different conceptions of a masterpiece.

SYRFox 09.16.2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
sorry for being a cunt, obviosuly we have different conceptions of a masterpiece.

Yeah. So what?
I was talking from a personnal point of view. I don't give a fuck if it's an album that has been released only 3 years ago, or if famous journalists and people I respect and music-savy people don't consider it masterpiece, or if it hasn't influenced other bands or whatever. I consider it a masterpiece from MY POINT OF VIEW and MY OPINION and MY MUSICAL CONSTRUCTION.

I think God's Money is perfectly sequenced, I can't find a weak moment on it (on first listens, I thought for instance "Before my Voice Fails" was weak, but a few more listens made me realise it's really great), it sounds fluid, like you're entering in another world when you listen to it. Its construction is awesome, and I find it really, really beautiful, and groovy at the same time. But it's my opinion, and I heard people thinking it was boring and I can totally understand that.

I still think it's a masterpiece

chairman of the bored 09.17.2008 09:16 PM

settle down everyone settle down...its pretty cool...it has a terrible 'rapping in the middle of an indie album' track that has never worked ever and what appears to be a my bloody valentine sample and some slick drums sounds...im listening right now and its good trolling music

dionysusundone 09.17.2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
settle down everyone settle down...its pretty cool...it has a terrible 'rapping in the middle of an indie album' track that has never worked ever and what appears to be a my bloody valentine sample and some slick drums sounds...im listening right now and its good trolling music

I actually think that song's quite good.

davenotdead 09.17.2008 10:44 PM

yeah its one of the stronger tracks actually

SYRFox 09.18.2008 12:29 AM

And according to the bootlegs I have and "chatting about Saint Dymphna" I've seen, this is not a My Bloody Valentine sample, just a pitch bended Yamaha synth string preset

chairman of the bored 09.18.2008 09:46 AM

oh word...the first time i heard it, it was driving me nuts trying to figure out what it was...then my friend said 'mbv' and i said 'oh, i think youre right'....wrong, but they sound similar fo sho