Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ways of producing feeedback (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=752)

PunkerViolence 04.09.2006 03:20 PM

Ways of producing feeedback

oky im sure thers a lot of you who play guitar here and have been influenced by turston and lee's feedback/noise/:eek:/distorted experementation, an try to reproduce it yourself, yes? I know i do, but can only get it to a certain degree. My amp is a Peavey somethin or other, 80 watts an it goes really fucing loud.....soo...I was wonderin how many different ways there are of producing feedback. I was experementin today, by standing the guitar infront of the amp, and detuning the strings - sounded really cool. Also when i plug in my Waah, i get some strange sounds ofa that. What about the screwdriver poking that SY did? How do u use that without perminantly fucking ur guitar sideways?

TheDom 04.09.2006 03:27 PM

Here's what I do sometimes. Take any electronic device (remote controls, CD players, videogames, computer mouses etc etc), turn them on and put them close to your pickups and if they have buttons or knobs, start messing around with them. Sometimes it's cool but other times nothing happens.

doctor dan 04.09.2006 03:32 PM

i believe t and lee put the screwdriver underneath the strings, then use it to get plinky sounds. i found out you can get really wierd feedback type sounds by recording the ambient sounds in a room, then playing them back into the room and rerecording that, then repeating the process over and over again. eventually you get a really strange low frequency humming feedback. back to guitars, the best kind i find is just VOLUME

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 04.09.2006 03:32 PM

pedals of course, stand in fron of guitar hitting different pedals.
drills infront of pickups (electric toothbrush works as well but gives more of a highpitch squeel)
contact mics
also I made my own thing. Act like your making a contact mic, but instead of soldering the wires to the mic plate thing solder them to a small speaker. Then run it through some pedals into your amp and rub the speaker piece just about anywhere on the amp.

that headphone idea works too. I did it with some branca once.

Dan 04.09.2006 03:34 PM

What I do to get really simple screeching feedback sometimes with a couple basic pedals is boost the highs and the gain on my Boss GE-7 equalizer, and then even as far back as a few feet, I use a wah pedal to send the the highs up even more. The sensitivity is very high, and I use a Peavey Classic 50 amp, which is a 2x12, so you can get some cool dynamics depending on which speaker you point the pickups at. When I use my Mustang, I like to fuck with the pickup selectors too. Just go wild with anything that has switches or knobs.

DoubleNickels 04.09.2006 03:37 PM

Yeah, I like to crank the fuzz and use my palm and the direction of where I'm standing in order to control my feedback, like do I want it high pitched or do I want to sound like a train is coming down the tracks?

porkmarras 04.09.2006 03:46 PM

I normlly just use a cheap microphone that'll have my voice distorted and put it near the my hi-fi's speakers connected to those of my pc.The joys to be had by that can be interesting or simply boring in equal measures.

nomadicfollower 04.09.2006 04:20 PM

Not really feedback, but a great way to make noise is to buy a cheap keyboard (with the built in accompiaments and the crappy effects - got mine for $10) buy a two sided headphone cord, run it through you guitar amp, turn the distortion all the way up (turn the highs down because I've heard keyboards high frequencies can bust a guitar amp's speaker), put a beat on, and fuck around.

It's great fun.

Soundtrax 04.09.2006 04:31 PM

do you know an e-bow? http://www.ebow.com i dont know if you could actually call the sounds produced by ebow a feedback, but its like some kind of controlable feedback. it vibrates a string, i like it, its like the coolest thing for a guitar ever :)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.09.2006 04:32 PM

the quickest way to build up a solid, rolling, harmonic feedback to to rhythmically tap behind the neck up and down with the strings left "open"

If you play with reverb, gain and tone settings you can get all kinds of different sounds from this one technique, making it probably the most versatile.

Wahs are good but I think they work best with a heay distortion, the gain rather low to not be overpowering, and a slight delay. This is can be fun for those long ambient feedback bridges that we all love so much.

DoubleNickels 04.09.2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundtrax
do you know an e-bow? http://www.ebow.com i dont know if you could actually call the sounds produced by ebow a feedback, but its like some kind of controlable feedback. it vibrates a string, i like it, its like the coolest thing for a guitar ever :)

I own an ebow but the problem with it is that it's not really designed for feedback as in the avant-garde noise usage, more like feedback so the string can vibrate forever like you're using a bow on it. It's fun to put it through lots of distortion pedals though, as it creates it's own overdrive.

RIPfrey05 04.09.2006 09:26 PM

i at one point had a 71' Impala speaker wired into the back of my amp, it had long wires and you could move it and stuff cause it was in a little wooden box . so anyway.. you take that and just grind it al lover the strings like a slide and over the picups and stuff .. makes awesome howling and voice like sounds and screatching,,, AWESOME.. also.. today i was doing some shit with
1.big muff turned on
2. harmonic percolator on
3.polychorus on
4.maestro on
5. acoustic simulator on

all this through my amp just rubbing the guitar line all over the tubes and stuff in the back of my old fender amp (with a huge weird old sony speaker wired in for better high end) and it sounded INSANEEEEEE, fust hit random shit on the peddles whilst rubbing the line everywhere and putting in on the speaker and transformer and in the other imput and stuff...GRR fURIOUS!!!!

finding nobody 04.09.2006 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom
Here's what I do sometimes. Take any electronic device (remote controls, CD players, videogames, computer mouses etc etc), turn them on and put them close to your pickups and if they have buttons or knobs, start messing around with them. Sometimes it's cool but other times nothing happens.

hmm. ive never heard of that. im gonna have to try that.
i wonder how that works?

!@#$%! 04.09.2006 10:50 PM

lee endorses the fernandes sustainer

check it out

finding nobody 04.09.2006 10:56 PM

haha. look at that sruffy son of a gun!

terminal pharmacy 04.10.2006 12:29 AM

try some turntable feedback, it can sound really cool but it is kinda hard to do. something to do with the tone arm.

Trasher02 04.10.2006 03:02 AM

i just use my pedals and drumsticks while i'm playing. Or just scrape yr strings while you're playing. I think the best way to produce proper feedback is to buy a shitload of pedals, turn them all on and twist those fucking knobs

Soundtrax 04.10.2006 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

as much as i have heard of fernandes sustainer its like a built-in ebow, am i correct?

Glice 04.10.2006 07:35 AM

I work on very specific generative tunings, so each string resonates with another, which in turn generates further sounds based on the partials. It's quite a long and difficult way to make music, and I'm not going to share my secrets. But it is fun.

Inhuman 04.10.2006 09:03 AM

I always wondered about that nice, low pitched feedback that thurs gets in Ono soul. I find it's hard to mantain the feedback that consistantly in that pitch