Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Who is worse, Julian Lennon or Sean Lennon? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35396)

This Is Not Here 10.21.2009 07:11 PM

Who is worse, Julian Lennon or Sean Lennon?

Let's face it, they're both pretty damn bad. My vote goes for Julian, as Seans in my good books after doing a jolly good job of production/playing on Yoko's new album Between My Head & The Sky - That said, can he be forgiven for the crime that was 'Dead Meat' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT2YTURFEWc
And need I remind you of what makes Julian inexusably lame?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr7ea9Deu2s

knox 10.21.2009 07:18 PM

the answer is obvious.
one of them has yoko as a mother.
that is redemption.

The Earl Of Slander 10.21.2009 07:25 PM

Also, Sean did a pretty cool hook for a Deltron 3030 track. Another big plus point. Julian just doesn't stand a chance.

Genteel Death 10.21.2009 07:30 PM

the beatles killed yoko ono

jennthebenn 10.21.2009 07:42 PM

I remember when Julian first came out, with "Valotte." The basic reactions
were, "Wow, he really sounds like his dad" and then, "Wow, these songs
suck."

Genteel Death 10.21.2009 07:46 PM

i used to have that record

jennthebenn 10.21.2009 07:48 PM

One of my sisters had it on cassette...I remember a couple songs. The
title track was pretty good. Is, really. But that kid never stood a chance.

Genteel Death 10.21.2009 07:53 PM

i had the lp, which i bought because of the leading single, and was big news because of his name. I don't remember playing more than once or twice and putting it away forever. I also had some of sean lennon's cd singles.

Genteel Death 10.21.2009 07:59 PM

Didn't sean lennon have something to do with beastie boys?

Inhuman 10.21.2009 08:02 PM

I like Sean lennon, he worked with Cibo Matto

knox 10.21.2009 08:07 PM

sean lennon had into the sun which was ok
and the burger song
and his band live is pretty entertaining

automatic bzooty 10.21.2009 09:20 PM

julian fo sho.

sean's just on the more douche-y side of aight, i guess.

atsonicpark 10.21.2009 09:27 PM

John Lennon, for giving birth to them.

..actually, John Lennon seemed pretty cool. He was a smartass, he was arrogant, his favorite movie was El Topo, and his favorite album was "Safe as Milk" by Beefheart. Seemed like a well-read, interesting person. Also, he loved Asian women. I think we have a lot in common.

Which is one who's fucking all those hot chicks? Sean? Yeah, I voted for him out of jealousy.

chairman of the bored 10.21.2009 09:42 PM

I've never heard of Julian Lennon, but Sean shit-stains a track on Deltron 3030 if I remember correctly.

StevOK 10.21.2009 09:45 PM

Sean is resurrecting Plastic Ono Band, so take that information into consideration.

Kallisti23chaos 10.21.2009 11:00 PM

I like both of Sean's albums "into the sun" and "friendly fire"- i would say friendly fire is fair at best . i like into the sun though.
i've never listened to any Julian-just not interested maybe-

DeadDiscoDildo 10.21.2009 11:50 PM

I don't believe in Julian. I don't believe in Sean. I don't believe in plastic ono. I don't believe in greener lawns. The dream is over. The dream is over.

greedrex 10.21.2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
And need I remind you of what makes Julian inexusably lame?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr7ea9Deu2s

^THIS
is an abomination.

davenotdead 10.22.2009 12:24 AM

h8 sean

vacuum noise 10.23.2009 12:57 AM

i dont think dead meat is that bad, even if the video is lame, and not good-lame mind you

Dead-Air 10.23.2009 04:37 AM

Sean has some lame alt rock stuff, but he also has some very good stuff with Yoko and Ima. Julian just sounds like the lite beer version of "Mind Games" era John, which is of course sad.

Glice 10.23.2009 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
the beatles killed yoko ono

Did you read the William Bennet epiphany in the Wire recently? He said something similar.

This Is Not Here 10.23.2009 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Did you read the William Bennet epiphany in the Wire recently? He said something similar.

No - could we have a link?

Glice 10.23.2009 05:30 AM

It's November 09's copy. It has Julian Cope on the cover. We'll call this an exercise in 'how they lived in the 90s'.

Page 71. It's actually 'the Inner Sleeve', not an epiphany.

This Is Not Here 10.23.2009 05:31 AM

Ha ha! Fair enough!

Genteel Death 10.23.2009 05:39 AM

I haven't bought The Wire in a long time, but I have picked up the J.Cope issue in a book shop recently, and flicked through its pages briefly. What does William Bennett say about The Beatles/Yoko Ono?

Glice 10.23.2009 06:23 AM

He's talking about Yoko Ono's Fly, and says the following:

"Many commentators and fans used to say that Yoko was the cause of the [sic] The Beatles' break-up - yet to me, it was the other way round: The Beatles were the worst thing that could have happened to her (or at least her art). She remains one ofmy favourite and, seminally, most influential artists."

It's not really that great an article (Bennett may well be the dullest man alive) but your post reminded me of it.

Genteel Death 10.23.2009 06:41 AM

Yeah, his movie reviews are too often a snorefest.

DeadDiscoDildo 10.23.2009 12:44 PM

I havent listened to enough of their music, but the gist I get is yeah, Julian has alot of cheesey synth bullshit with cheesy bullshit hooks. Sean tries to be more artistic with it but either fails or tries to hard.

Eitherway, neither of them will EVER write a song like Mother. John confronted his darkest demons in song, the other two act like their father was never murdered...from what I see at least.

They are chickenshit artists...

Im going to listen to plastic ono band right now actually....

What happened to that "favorite scream" thread...

I forgot to put John Lennon's screams at the end of Mother...

Mommy dont GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

DDAAAAAAAADy come hooome

!@#$%! 10.23.2009 01:44 PM

partially unrelated, but i bought yoko's season of glass the other day-- sweetly preserved LP from 1981 -- it's good!

knox 10.23.2009 02:31 PM

I sometimes try to read the wire but it all sounds so wanky.?

maybe i really should, so i could sound like that myself.

FreshChops 10.23.2009 02:33 PM

sadly, I'm not familiar with either one....

are they like the Marley kids with their music careers?

knox 10.23.2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
I havent listened to enough of their music, but the gist I get is yeah, Julian has alot of cheesey synth bullshit with cheesy bullshit hooks. Sean tries to be more artistic with it but either fails or tries to hard.

Eitherway, neither of them will EVER write a song like Mother. John confronted his darkest demons in song, the other two act like their father was never murdered...from what I see at least.

They are chickenshit artists...

Im going to listen to plastic ono band right now actually....

What happened to that "favorite scream" thread...

I forgot to put John Lennon's screams at the end of Mother...

Mommy dont GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

DDAAAAAAAADy come hooome

well there is a song sean wrote called 1st hamburger or something like that - im not a fan mind you (but its not a bad song) - but he said in an interview it was about how his father had this macrobiotic diet and when he finally accepted his father was dead he decided to have a burger as a symbolic act or something, i dont even have a point but to say that at least sean seems to have written one song about his fathers death?

Glice 10.23.2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox
I sometimes try to read the wire but it all sounds so wanky.?

maybe i really should, so i could sound like that myself.

I think the Wire is pretty important as probably the biggest print-based (or media in general) outlet for a broad range of... certain music. A lot of people (many of whom are posting here) don't need it because they supplement their musical diet with forums, blogs and so on. But in terms of a one-stop-shop of faintly experimental music written about in a (sometimes overbearingly) serious fashion, it's pretty important. The problem comes in that it takes a while to decode the writers' peccadilloes, and they're still as faddy as anywhere else (Dubstep has really usurped the much less smartarse-friendly Grime as the dance genre of choice, and there's masses of dance music they just outright ignore).

knox 10.23.2009 03:37 PM

I just said mean that sometimes I just wanna read about music, not poetic descriptions of this and that but it´s cool I like it ok, I have a lot of them.

Glice 10.23.2009 03:51 PM

Yeah, fair shout. Not to, like, internetdisagree or some shit, but if I had a criticism of the Wire it's that it's incredibly dry and faux-academic in tone. Loose lips sink ships was the florid one (mercifully, it died).

knox 10.23.2009 03:54 PM

that's sort of what i wanted to say but not as nice as you.
sure, part of me would love to be a rich cunt attending gigs daily and then writing reviews about them on my blogs with my art school friends.
actually no, i guess part of me wouldn´t.

DeadDiscoDildo 10.23.2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox
well there is a song sean wrote called 1st hamburger or something like that - im not a fan mind you (but its not a bad song) - but he said in an interview it was about how his father had this macrobiotic diet and when he finally accepted his father was dead he decided to have a burger as a symbolic act or something, i dont even have a point but to say that at least sean seems to have written one song about his fathers death?

No no, thanks. I didn't know. I've just not heard anything by them to make me a fan, and just assumed they never wrote anything because I hadnt heard anything and Im a huge John fan.

At least now I know, and I'll check it out.

knox 10.23.2009 07:17 PM

sway. yoko cannot be boring. you are mistaken.

Conrad 10.23.2009 07:27 PM

I'm going to say Sean, just because I hate those glasses.

Like, "Errr, I'm going to try to look as much like my father as possible so people will like me in some sick twisted way."