Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   SYG Artists Compilation (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=42858)

hevusa 01.27.2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
Flac codecs work like zippin' things, the compressed file is actually decompressed by the cpu-software when you listen to it.All the information is there.

So you can take a FLAC file and convert it to the original wav file? How is that done? Pretty cool if so.

nicfit 01.27.2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
My ears are my truth when it comes to audio and nothing more and when i'm sending files they are thoroughly checked by near and mid field monitors before sending.

What I meant is how you can be sure the file they "get" is the same one you "send" :) (you=not just you, but anyone who may be afraid of potential corruption/glitches/wathever in a digital file).
As far as I know, the only way to find out for sure is a bit for bit (bit per bit sounded a bit too "latin" :D, dunno if it's the correct terminology..) comparison...
See where I'm headed?

bit for bit comparison = proof that 2 files are identical=you know your file is the same the client got

wav vs flac (encoded from that wav + decoded back to wav) bit comparison = proof that flac is actually lossless, in every aspect (again, forgive my lame lexicon tonight)

This does not mean you can't hear differences etc (see "bottom line" in my previous post, I need some sleep now...).

hevusa 01.27.2011 06:56 PM

I can't hear a difference between FLAC and WAV.

nicfit 01.27.2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
So you can take a FLAC file and convert it to the original wav file? How is that done? Pretty cool if so.

yep, (and the resulting file is a bit-for-bit copy of the original wav, not just "a" file in wav format), that's exactly the reason why flac is so interesting/useful/nice. flac frontend, traders' little helper, lots of programs do that, I think each one that lets you encode a wav to flac will also let you decode it back to wav.
flac is like a listeneable zip of sorts (in a way).
I think some players like foobar can even play the content of actual zip files, but that's a totally different story...

Glice 01.27.2011 07:02 PM

Hey. I'm probably being a cunt, but would you mind moving this here: http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthr...75#post1059775 ?

Feel free to copy/ paste things over there is needs be.

hevusa 01.27.2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
yep, (and the resulting file is a bit-for-bit copy of the original wav, not just "a" file in wav format), that's exactly the reason why flac is so interesting/useful/nice. flac frontend, traders' little helper, lots of programs do that, I think each one that lets you encode a wav to flac will also let you decode it back to wav.
flac is like a listeneable zip of sorts (in a way).
I think some players like foobar can even play the content of actual zip files, but that's a totally different story...

That is fucking brilliant! But will soon be totally unnecessary as internet speeds and hard drive sizes increase. Soon the internet will only contain WAV files and uncompressed movies, no need to compress/zip anything! :)

Glice 01.31.2011 08:33 AM

Bump.

MIDDLE OF FEB for contributions, though earlier if possible; I'm getting to the point where if I get another few contributions I might have to start thinking about cutting people out to make space.

You're all competing with Diesel at the moment, whose track is (predictably) AMAZING.

Glice 01.31.2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel

Whats the craic with the mastering, will the tracks be mp3 after that?

The idea is to have a CD copy once it's all together. I'm averse to mp3 releases, but we'll have a natter about that further down the line.

_slavo_ 01.31.2011 11:16 AM

ok, and when is this coming out?

EVOLghost 01.31.2011 11:17 AM

tomorrow.

Glice 01.31.2011 11:21 AM

Yes, tomorrow. ALL OVER YOUR FACE.

Derek 01.31.2011 12:30 PM

It takes longer than you expect you impatient fuggas.

Pelle 01.31.2011 04:31 PM

Okey, I havent really been reading the whole thread but is the release really out tomorrow?
What format ? :) curious to hear all the people over here.

Derek 01.31.2011 04:48 PM

It won't be out for ages.

Pelle 01.31.2011 04:51 PM

Haha okey, how come?

Derek 01.31.2011 05:00 PM

Cause people still haven't got their submissions in. Plus when it all comes together musically we'll have to figure out the physical release.

StevOK 01.31.2011 11:26 PM

If space is a concern, should I edit my submission to be shorter? Right now it's at 6 minutes, but I was thinking of cutting it down to a "single version".

Glice 02.01.2011 06:45 AM

You should use your own discretion - I won't be asking anyone to make shorter or longer pieces (unless, of course, someone submits a 40-minute epic).

Glice 02.02.2011 06:48 AM

Dude, fuck off, contribute something or carry on writing ill-defined whinging bullshit that I for one can't be fucked to read.

Could I suggest fucking off though?

Savage Clone 02.03.2011 03:40 PM

I really don't get all the dramatics around this.
You post on this forum.
You make music.
You submit a track. So do others.
Done? Done.
YEESH.