Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   No Wave (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19095)

Death & the Maiden 01.20.2008 09:48 PM

No Wave

I'm looking to get into No Wave. I bought No New York a while ago, and I really like it, but what are some good bands that aren't featured on that compilation? Besides James Chance & the Contortions, Teenage Jesus & the Jerks, Mars, and DNA, the only other artist I have properly looked into is Glenn Branca.
Thanks in advance.

batreleaser 01.20.2008 09:53 PM

bush tetras
early rhys chatham
chinese puzzle
8 eyes spy
theoretical girls

toxic johnny 01.21.2008 02:15 AM

Red Transistor

atsonicpark 01.21.2008 09:26 AM

..once again? I've answered this topic many times... Go to search, type in "no wave". Go the no wave wikipedia. HUGE list there. Etc. It's really not that difficult.

Anyway, the best band that was ever considered no wave in any way, shape, or form was Bride of No No (members of Scissor Girls and some other "unknown" members). It's like no wave prog. Amazing. Also, I make no wave ish stuff. THere.

PAULYBEE2656 01.21.2008 01:57 PM

i prefer post no wave! labels, fuck..... i grow tired of em!

Toilet & Bowels 01.21.2008 02:08 PM

not really sure if they count asno wave but in my mind they are, Blue Humans.
also, get the Mars Live album

RIPfrey05 01.21.2008 11:10 PM

DIY it, all you need is a socially retarded frontman who scares people, an eggbeater, and a guitar to harass.

Phlegmscope 01.22.2008 05:49 PM

I bought an album by The Golden Palominos recently and I enjoyed that a lot. Not sure if it's to be regarded as no wave thought since it might be too "technically proficient". But there definitely are no-wave -elements on the album.

Toilet & Bowels 01.22.2008 07:00 PM

speaking of finland (not that golden palominos are finnish) can can heads and liimanarina are sort of no wave, and are pretty much the best bands in that style that aren't from the original era or new york city

atari 2600 01.23.2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
I bought an album by The Golden Palominos recently and I enjoyed that a lot. Not sure if it's to be regarded as no wave thought since it might be too "technically proficient". But there definitely are no-wave -elements on the album.

The debut self-titled album from '83 has Arto Lindsay, John Zorn and Fred Frith on it.

Fier and bassist Laswell moved to New York in the late '70s. Anton Fier, the founder, was in The Lounge Lizards, and for a time in the Voidoids and other groups.

Bill Laswell plays many different styles and seems to be mostly drawn to good and interesting musical projects.
He's played with everyone from Laurie Anderson to John Zorn hehee.

The first one is good, but my favorite is Visions of Excess. I just recently got a copy of Dead Inside, a later one and totally different stuff, but haven't given it a proper amount of listens just yet.

the ikara cult 01.23.2008 08:29 AM

you wont do bad by just typing "No Wave" into Wikipedia, if a name sounds good (which most of them do) then go on soulseek or whathaveyou and give it a listen.

the ikara cult 01.23.2008 08:29 AM

Oh yeah, get "The Ascension" by Glenn Branca because its amazing