Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Any Guesses to what Mote is about? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11588)

dazedcola 03.23.2007 12:41 PM

Any Guesses to what Mote is about?

I love this song,I've played it numerous times. Its one of the best off goo. Im happy to say I got to hear it live, but i have never been able to fully grasp what its about.Has Lee ever said anything about the origin of this song?

"When you see the spiral turning for you alone
And you feel so heavy that you just can't stop it
When this sea of madness turns you into stone
A picture of your life shoots like a rocket
All the time

I'm down in the daytime out of sight
Comin' in from dreamland I'm on fire
I can see it's all been here before
Dream a dream that lies right at your door

When the seasons circle sideways out of turn
And words don't speak just fall across the carpet
You're just in time to watch the fires burn
It seems a crime but yr face is bright you love it
All the time.....

I think he's talking about being on a heavy drug trip, the lyrics are so inspired though,i love them.

Trasher02 03.23.2007 12:44 PM

My favorite song. Brilliant lyrics and Insane riffs.

king_buzzo 03.23.2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trasher02
Brilliant lyrics and Insane riffs.

+1 on that

TheMadcapLaughs 03.23.2007 03:43 PM

Isn't based on the book the Eye-Mote or something?

Chris Lawrence 03.23.2007 08:22 PM

[poem] 'the eye-mote' by sylvia plath indeed...

ZEROpumpkins 03.24.2007 12:49 AM

Weed. Mota is spanish for pot I believe.

Chris Lawrence 03.24.2007 04:21 AM

too bad the song's not called 'mota'!

GrungeMonkey 03.24.2007 08:20 AM

I love this song so much. I don't have a clue what the lyrics mean, but I love them.

atsonicpark 03.24.2007 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Weed. Mota is spanish for pot I believe.

You win.

nomowish 03.24.2007 04:15 PM

You gotta watch the motin' Thurston

Magic Wheel Memory 03.24.2007 06:54 PM

Some of my favorite lyrics ever, because of the imagery, rather than any perceived meaning. It always gave me the impression of frustration over a woman he couldn't have. I'm not sure there's any basis for that, and it's probably not true. The word "mote" means a small particle of something.

Magic Wheel Memory 03.24.2007 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
Isn't based on the book the Eye-Mote or something?

He does say "a mote inside my eye" in the song. Now, I have to check out that poem! The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath, was an interesting read.

habibtheantiamericanbitch 03.25.2007 01:22 AM

in a bootleg from 2004 (i believe, give or take a year) he introduces the song as "The Eye Mote"

to.w 03.25.2007 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habibtheantiamericanbitch
in a bootleg from 2004 (i believe, give or take a year) he introduces the song as "The Eye Mote"

Yes, it was during the show at Radio France, April 2006 (Le Mouv' session) if I'm not mistaken. It's obviously inspired by Plath's poem

Chris Lawrence 03.25.2007 12:51 PM

he introduces the song as 'the eye-mote' more often than not.

atari 2600 03.25.2007 12:55 PM

Yeah, we're all prepped for this one...no new ground covered this time around either...good, I guess, to see you still care at all, Lawrence and Kegmama.

It's poetry...read the lyrics and read the Plath poem...read some other Plath poems and criticism...listen to some Lee solo...maybe read some of his writing...then compare and contrast and formulate your own thoughts; write your own essay...I'm through for now...I'd like to help you in your research, but cannot due to personal reasons...I could give my two cents with line-by-line illuminations of emotive logic and spend some time on this, but why bother?

(So I could have some bright eyes dissect me in the hopes of overturning my observations with their contrarian chicanery?)

Fuck that noise.

Rob Instigator 03.26.2007 09:39 AM

the quote that sylvia plath's poem is from is this part of the Bible
Matthew 7:3
(king james version)
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

the ikara cult 03.26.2007 09:56 AM

Something to do with the perception of something very small but significant. Cool to read the poetry reference too. I listened to this song today, Lees voice is Sonic Youth's secret weapon.

atari 2600 03.27.2007 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the quote that sylvia plath's poem is from is this part of the Bible
Matthew 7:3
(king james version)
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

I failed to mention that, thanks. Did last time though.

afterthefact 03.27.2007 08:59 PM

I'll just say this, and it will make me look just plain stupid, but I almost never understand what any song is about. Maybe thats why I can't write lyrics. I can hear a song a million times and even read the lyrics, but I still won't grasp the concept of what they are saying.