Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Recording method... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4495)

afterthefact 07.25.2006 08:31 PM

Recording method...

Which do you prefer to use when you are recording, digital or analog?

max 07.25.2006 08:40 PM

digital. cheap, versatile and tweakable to the limits. but analog is cool too - if you have the money to afford that.

afterthefact 07.25.2006 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max
digital. cheap, versatile and tweakable to the limits. but analog is cool too - if you have the money to afford that.

I don't know how it is in Italy, but I find it cheaper to use analog, plus a lot easier...

afterthefact 07.25.2006 08:41 PM

and there is a warmness on analog that you lose with digital

afterthefact 07.25.2006 08:45 PM

wow, I've already posted 3 times in this thread...

afterthefact 07.25.2006 08:46 PM

afterthefact 07.25.2006 08:46 PM

Cantankerous 07.25.2006 08:47 PM

analog

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.25.2006 08:47 PM

I perfer digital because you lose very little quality when recordign over the same track + you can fix it up quite nicely, I dont know if you would consider it digital or not but when my mic worked I miced (mice?) my guitar into a digital 4trak and left it that way.

One thing I notice is when recording digital sometimes your equipment picks up frequencies and you have to cleanup the sound.

acousticrock87 07.25.2006 08:50 PM

Depends on the music. Analog for acoustic/folk/blues, you know, gritty stuff. Digital for anything with heavier production and electronics, or when there's a lot of fancy guitar work. Anywhere there's a lot of effort put into the details.

Cantankerous 07.25.2006 08:51 PM

fuck heavy production. how do you think they did it in the old days when music was still good?

afterthefact 07.25.2006 08:54 PM

all I know is that right now I am doing some stuff with this one guy, and he is an excelent musician, but he records everything with garage band, and like if your timing is of by even a millisecond, he can just click a button and align it perfectly to the beat... music isn't supposed to be perfect, because it's supposed to reflect the person making it, and nobody is perfect...

Daddylikes 07.25.2006 08:54 PM

they did heavy production using analog methods. See phil spector and the wall of sound.

Cantankerous 07.25.2006 08:55 PM

word. but it was different because they knew what the fuck they were doing and they didn't have a goddamn clap machine.

acousticrock87 07.25.2006 08:56 PM

Even with old stuff. Hendrix is better digital. Half of the Beatle's stuff (mostly Lennon's) is better digital. Bob Dylan is way better analog. That's just how I like it. Doesn't matter how they did it. Times are changin'. It ain't the 60's anymore. We got options.

Cantankerous 07.25.2006 08:57 PM

i hate digital.

afterthefact 07.25.2006 08:57 PM

happy 1000... :)

k-krack 07.25.2006 09:02 PM

i record on tape, because i dont have any other option.. i mean, the basement computer has a mic, but for somne reason sound recorder doesn;'t work, and you can't give a copy of sound recorder as easily (i could burn a cdbut that takes more work. plus, i have tons of tapes to use yet...) anyways, i love the sound of tape.. (any ideas as to why sound recorder would stop working? how i could fix it?)

terminal pharmacy 07.25.2006 09:03 PM

they both have their place, and digital is getting to the stage of analog warmth where you lose very little because of sample rates. sony have developed dsd which samples at 2.4mhz which is brilliant, where before things were at 192khz sample rate. 2.4mhz makes the divide grow smaller and smaller.

afterthefact 07.25.2006 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
i record on tape, because i dont have any other option.. i mean, the basement computer has a mic, but for somne reason sound recorder doesn;'t work, and you can't give a copy of sound recorder as easily (i could burn a cdbut that takes more work. plus, i have tons of tapes to use yet...) anyways, i love the sound of tape.. (any ideas as to why sound recorder would stop working? how i could fix it?)

wish I could help...
I used to record everything on tape, because that's all I had to work with... now all I have is a computer, and I will the old analog 4-track to death. Forget about how it just sounds better and everything, and it's still better, because doing it on computers is a pain in the ass. with tape, you hit record, play, hit stop, and you have a tape with your music on it. done and done.