Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40798)

Peterpuff 11.10.2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

Have any of you seen this? Compared it to your memories of the incident? Is it not weird AF?

Have not watched the OJ one yet, but did watch the Unabomber one and had very much the same feelings. Was very odd trying to pull from what little I remembered of it all, and trying to remember how much was actually reported on at the time. Hard to pinpoint, but something was "weird AF" about it. I imagine watching the OJ one will be quite the same.

Severian 11.10.2017 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Have not watched the OJ one yet, but did watch the Unabomber one and had very much the same feelings. Was very odd trying to pull from what little I remembered of it all, and trying to remember how much was actually reported on at the time. Hard to pinpoint, but something was "weird AF" about it. I imagine watching the OJ one will be quite the same.

Wait, was the Unabomber one also an “America Crime Story” thing? By the guys who do American Horror Story? If so I didn’t know it existed.

The O.J. one turned out to be very good, actually. Except for the fact that Cuba Gooding Jr. was playing a 6’8” 300lb man. Several references were made to his size in the show and he looked positively dainty next to John Travolta.

The Marcia Clarke portion of the story is particularly touching, as are the bits about Ito. It was such a circus when it happened that nobody viewed these people as, y’know, *people.* But at the time, Clarke and Ito in particular were both serious and respected legal minds, who found themselves surrounded by paparazzi and bullshit.

Really enlightening to watch. Ross from friends was not great as Rob Kardashian, but they did a good job with Cochran.

I don’t know. Even watching an attempt to tell a fuller story made me feel a bit ill. But if the AHS people also did a Unabomber show, I’m all in. This was good television at least. Uncanny, unsettling, but good.

ilduclo 11.11.2017 09:17 AM

I started that Unabomber thing, maybe about 20 minutes in I bailed due to bad acting & ham handed writing.

Just started Motherland, Anna Martin and Diane Morgan (P Cunk from Weekly Wipe). Pretty funny.

Peterpuff 11.12.2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Wait, was the Unabomber one also an “America Crime Story” thing? By the guys who do American Horror Story? If so I didn’t know it existed.

I don't think there was any production relationship between the two or anything, no. I just sort of lumped them together as modern dramatic series created about historic crimes, I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
I started that Unabomber thing, maybe about 20 minutes in I bailed due to bad acting & ham handed writing.

Very true, I must say. It certainly is a "dramatization" in every sense of the word. I still enjoyed watching it though, mostly for the sense of how little I truly remembered about it via media at that time.

Severian 11.12.2017 08:36 PM

Started the new season of American Horror Story. The one about the greatest horror of all — the 2016 American president election. Good so far.

Started Flaked on Netflix. Stephen Malkmus does a lot of the soundtrack. Only watched one 30 minute episode, but... so far so good.

!@#$%! 11.13.2017 06:28 PM

i’m finishing what i think is the last available season of house or cards

why the fuck do i want the evil fucks to win? am i a psychopath?

Severian 11.13.2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i’m finishing what i think is the last available season of house or cards

why the fuck do i want the evil fucks to win? am i a psychopath?

Nope. I felt the same way.

There are four seasons. And it sounds like that’s all there’s going to be. Spacey fort he axe from Netflix, or so I hear.

!@#$%! 11.14.2017 04:52 PM

HOUSE OF CARD SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

so last night we finish watching house of cards when claire underwood talks to the camera and says “it’s my turn now”.

after that we’re washing the dishes and my wife says: “she says ‘it’s my turn now,’ and of course it gets cancelled.”

lol

sad but motherfucking true! and what a jinx.

HOUSE OF CARDS SPOILERS ENDED

Severian 11.14.2017 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
HOUSE OF CARD SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

so last night we finish watching house of cards when claire underwood talks to the camera and says “it’s my turn now”.

after that we’re washing the dishes and my wife says: “she says ‘it’s my turn now,’ and of course it gets cancelled.”

lol

sad but motherfucking true! and what a jinx.

HOUSE OF CARDS SPOILERS ENDED

:(

I know.

ilduclo 11.15.2017 06:09 PM

Tracey Breaks the News. This is pretty good, some excellent impressions of Angela Merkel, Teresa May, Judie Dench, Jeremy Corbyn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fin6aP1WbaA

evollove 11.16.2017 07:52 AM

I'm confused. I thought there was a House of Cards season already in the can. No?

Severian 11.16.2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
I'm confused. I thought there was a House of Cards season already in the can. No?

Apparently it’s out of the can. Er whatever.

I was confused too, but apparently it has indeed been cancelled... because Kevin Spacey made a pass at a 14-year-old 30 years ago. I don’t think Spacey forced anything, but I could be wrong.

I was SO ready to see Robin Wright become the “good guy” and ruin Francis, and bea badass bitch of a president. Oh well.

!@#$%! 11.16.2017 11:23 PM

i wanna know where the parents of the 14 year old were 30 years ago. i mean. come on. 18 is legal, 21 is the drinking age. how late are you allowed out of the house

but yeah they just pulled the plug i thought. all those lost jobs. francis got ruined indeed.

btw season 5 of the americans is up on amazon now. woohooo!! but i gotta finish oz first.

oz now im in like season... 4 5? and it’s starting to lose steam. instead of compelling storylines built around strong characters it’s starting to go with unbelievable situation-of-the-week scenarios. still very watchable though, just not as much as the earlier seasons.

what did that guy say? nothing gold can stay.

evollove 11.17.2017 06:17 AM

You're making me want to watch OZ again. It's been a long, long time.

I recall liking some of the characters, but the only concrete moment that I can remember is when dude from Law and Order SVU is fully nude and takes a piss. I was so shocked, that has stayed with me for, like, a decade.

Severian 11.17.2017 12:07 PM

You’re making me want to watch the Americans again, even though I did that like all summer.

Severian 11.21.2017 11:28 AM

The Punisher on Netflix. Is ok so far. Not too excited about it. Never been a fan. Just watching slowly in free time. S’okay.

evollove 11.21.2017 12:13 PM

Is it super violent?

ilduclo 11.21.2017 01:21 PM

Pretty decent mafia show Bad Blood. Bunch of good actors. Canadian TV has some real good shows (Letterkenny is hilarious, and Davinci's Inquest was a good one, too)

go Canucks!

!@#$%! 11.21.2017 02:34 PM

not to be a contrarian (eh, who am i kidding) but i find most canuck tv superboring

long ago tried to get into the cult of orphan black but couldn’t. tried also some cop show, terrible. then there’s the one with the early XX century crimes... i even forgot the name (murdock mysteries maybe?). still gonna try trailer park boys though... that one looks promising.

tw2113 11.21.2017 08:03 PM

Finished up Northern Exposure season 2. Always enjoyable.