Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Found. 1 Washing Machine (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2163)

SonicBebs 05.24.2006 08:34 AM

Found. 1 Washing Machine

Never really got into Washing Machine when i first got it, although the song Washing Machine is one of my favourite SY tunes.
The other week, i woke up with The Diamond Sea in my head, and i had to dig out the cd. And its fucking lush. Its been on my stereo for about 2 weeks now and i cant get enough of it. I can't believe i neglected it for so long.

So, are there any SY albums that you pick up again after years, and fall in love with again?

Hip Priest 05.24.2006 08:39 AM

I never wholly realised just how good Sister is untill last year. I knew it was a great LP, but for some reaon last year the whole thing really clicked with me, and I realised just how wonderful it is.

Disgruntled Youth 05.24.2006 10:22 AM

Washing Mashine = THE BEST

Spiritual Amnesia 05.24.2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
So, are there any SY albums that you pick up again after years, and fall in love with again?

yes, Murray Street...
first i really didnīt like it,
because it was so slow .

but now, i really love this album.

btw, Washing Machine was my first SY album and i loved it from the beginning.

LifeDistortion 05.24.2006 05:01 PM

Albums I've grown a new appreciation for years after owning it:

Faith No More-King for a Day, Fool For A Lifetime", after falling in love with "AngelDust" I just felt this one was a major let down, mostly because it was not as heavy. I had not listened to it for some time, and a few months ago I found it in a box along with other old CDs I had bought and listened to it, and find the CD a lot better then I first gave credit to. But its still no "AngelDust".

acousticrock87 05.24.2006 09:25 PM

I used to hate Sister. Aside from I think Tuff Gnarl, I didn't really like anything about it. Now I love it.

Quote:

And its fucking lush

I love the word "lush". And "brill". It just doesn't sound right without the accent. The UK gets all the good slang...

umjammer atomsk 05.24.2006 09:46 PM

I love washing machine to death except for junkie's promise because of the Dirty era flashbacks.

SonicBebs 05.25.2006 02:20 AM

1 of the things i love about WM is the way some of the songs melt into themselves, the end of Washing Machine is such a contrast to the main part of the song, yet it flows into it perfectly. So smooth. I still get goose bumps down my spine. And i hadn't ever noticed how beautiful Lee's songs are.
Such a good record

Moshe 05.25.2006 02:24 AM

This is the best record ever by any artist. The funny thing is i didn't like it when I first heard it. The only sy albums I liked right from the start were daydream nation and murray street.

toxic johnny 05.25.2006 06:17 AM

I have found a new and fresh appreciation for Confusion Is Sex... I haven't sat down and listened to it properly for years, but the other day I had a real urge to listen again and wow! I adore the razor sharp brittle production... the opening chords of (She's in a) Bad Mood send my senses into orgasm etc.

fishmonkey 05.25.2006 06:26 AM

i kind had that experiance with A Thousand Leaves, i listened to it but never REALLY listened to it, now i think its ninja

h8kurdt 05.25.2006 06:51 AM

I don't think theirs any albums by them that I hated then now love. I still dislike NYCG&F I can never get into it also with Sister.

something 05.25.2006 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Youth
Washing Mashine = THE BEST

yea i would have to fully agree on that one it's a fucking mind blowing album that has such an amazing flow and there's never a dull moment it is like the indiana jones of sonic youth albums

greenlight 05.26.2006 03:31 PM

what can i say. maybe only that i havent got into it after first listening as well, but it's like in my top 3

kingcoffee 05.26.2006 05:00 PM

Washing Machine is a pretty good album. I love Lee's contributions. He's a true genius. And I absolutely LOVE the Diamond Sea. I can't belive the band doesn't really play it anymore. I want to see/hear them do it live in the worst way.

Inhuman 05.26.2006 05:15 PM

Diamond Sea is beautiful. I find it as if it's a combination of their very old stuff with the popish stuff they do nowadays. Saucer-Like and Becuz are two of my other favorite tracks, but I never really got into the whole middle portions of the album as much. The CD that I bought and dug out later to discover it's wonders is Experimental Jet Set. Damn, every song is great on it, bu tI find EJS is really dependant on mood. You have sonds like Winner's Blues and Sink which require a certain mood to obtain the full effect of the song IMO. Great album overall though