Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   SPIN insults us al with their Top 100 "alternative" music drummers list (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=94065)

Rob Instigator 06.27.2013 02:02 PM

SPIN insults us al with their Top 100 "alternative" music drummers list

http://www.spin.com/articles/best-dr...rnative-music/

Jesus fuck these things make me mad. I could really give a fuck , but it is such a disservice to the genius of Steve Shelley to post him at 98 (NINETY-EIGHT!!!!???!!!) and have the fucking dipshit from Bow Wow Wow one step ahead of him? the fucker from Deerhoof at 94?

The drummer from the GoGo's at 87????????????

FUUUUCKKKKK

halgreen 06.27.2013 02:06 PM

I can't even get it to work, I'm stuck on the dude from The Feelies. But I see that Dave Grohl made number 1...:confused:

Rob Instigator 06.27.2013 02:11 PM

I stopped at # 70 or so. I could not stand the stupidity. To put Big Black's drum machine in there is plain stupid, trying to be funny.

GravitySlips 06.27.2013 02:15 PM

Deerhoof's drummer is pretty good!

Rob Instigator 06.27.2013 02:31 PM

Too bad this is not a "pretty good" drummers list.

Maybe it should have been?

GravitySlips 06.27.2013 02:41 PM

Well, I'm understating it. I think Deerhoof's drummer is excellent. When I saw them live he was by far the best aspect of the band. I'm not a big fan of Deerhoof but on the stuff I like, it's the drumming that impresses me most.

His role in that band is very different from Steve's role in SY. Who's "better"? I don't know, really. Both great drummers who do very different things. Depends what you look for in your beatz.

The fact the Grizzly Bear drummer is ahead of both of them is brutal. Can't be bothered reading more.

Rob Instigator 06.27.2013 02:45 PM

I hear that. It is like walking a gauntlet of misguided admiration for second-rate drumming. dave Grohl at Number 1? If it is to be a "best" alternative band drummers, I would personally put either Tim "Herb" Alexander on top (I know, "Primus sucks," but that man is a BEAST on the skins) or Mitch Mitchell. (if Hendrix Experience can be considered alternative)

chocolate_ladyland 06.27.2013 03:43 PM

the list is better backwards

since when are black sabbath, slayer and all R&B/jazz drummers considered alternative? I think spin just wants to piss off list-obsessive classic rock fans

raiinking 06.27.2013 03:59 PM

I was absolutely mortified by that list. Lori Barbero was shunned completely. Grizzley bear is a fucking footnote on the history of alt rock

chocolate_ladyland 06.27.2013 10:32 PM

and where the fuck is mac mcneilly?

SonikJesus 06.28.2013 12:12 AM

yea that list sucked. though i do like they put grohl at 1. Him and shelley are def my two favorite drummers. I didnt expect him to be at the very top though but at least pretty high up.

dasx 06.28.2013 06:29 AM

And Brendan Canty is #88? Joey Baron is #70? Whaat?! I'm glad to see that there's Stewart Copeland #3, Jaki Liebezeit #6 and Dave Lombardo #11, but overall this is a crappy list.

evollove 06.28.2013 08:04 AM

--Topper Headon at 81? He's in the top ten. There are some Clash boots where I'd swear there are three different drummers on stage. The word "genius" gets thrown around a lot, but he really was a master of the instrument.

--Palmolive? Pretty cool.

--Clyde Stubblefield and John "Jabo" Starks at #2 is wise and respectful. Really, the most influential drummers on the list; for better or worse, music today would sound very different without their beats. Contemporary black music flows from these gents. Just not sure James Brown is really all that "alternative."

Rob Instigator 06.28.2013 08:13 AM

"alternative" is a stupid designation. All black artists were "alternatives" to the white radio and white billboard lists. They used to call them "race" records.

Elvis was a hero to most, but he never meant shit to me. See, a straight-out racist the sucker was simple and plain. Motherfuck him and John Wayne.

Bytor Peltor 06.28.2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Mitch Mitchell. (if Hendrix Experience can be considered alternative)

If they can list: Clyde Stubblefield and John "Jabo" Starks (James Brown), then Mitch Mitchell is a NO doubter!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolate_ladyland
since when are black sabbath, slayer and all R&B/jazz drummers considered alternative?

Slayer is as alternative as Rush - Neil Pert should be on the list!

Biggest disrespect (other than Steve at 98), Joey Baron aka Naked City / John Zorn at #70.

And why no love for, Emmett Jefferson "Murph" Murphy III of Dinosaur Jr.?

Rob Instigator 06.28.2013 09:16 AM

No love for Murph.

Bytor Peltor 06.28.2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

No love for Murph.

If he was listed, I sure clicked over it.

stateyourrights 06.28.2013 02:24 PM

no offense to any one. steve is a very unique and fitting drummer for sy and i couldnt see anyone else in his place but he's not the best drummer in the alternative world. He certainly is really good. please dont take this the wrong way.

sonic sphere 06.28.2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

No love for Murph.

he's not even the best drummer in dinosaur jr. ;)

Rob Instigator 06.28.2013 02:51 PM

As far as Steve goes, I would def have placed him in the top 70. Thank goodness they did not list Meg White ahead of him though....