Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Crying (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=85729)

Nefeli 12.28.2012 12:51 PM

Crying

wow.
making a thread for this.
wow.
sarcasm.

so i have great difficulty in crying. i mean, really crying, not for few seconds.
i have done it..but really really few times in my life.
now, i was thinking - maybe 1st time i have such a clear thought about it- that i could use a nice, long crying.
hasnt happen!
even put on massage the history and nothing has happened yet.

what about you?

Nefeli 12.28.2012 12:52 PM

also, yo! thanks, but this isnt a thread about helping me to cry now. ok?
fak it i even smile right now.

!@#$%! 12.28.2012 12:55 PM

a good cry is all a matter of histrionics

e.g.-- look at this actor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls2lC7DQFMI

Trama 12.28.2012 01:11 PM

;_;

floatingslowly 12.28.2012 02:38 PM

The last time I can remember was while watching The Ballad of Genesis and Lady Jaye.

It's not like Jaye's death was news, but I felt so very bad for him.....still do.

I might cry RIGHT NOW.

come on merman69, let's go get some tissues... :(

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.28.2012 02:56 PM

What, watching CSPAN footage from the House not doing it for ya?

Read this then..

By the way, I did indeed recently have a singular inner-Apocalyptic meltdown and succumbed to falling to the floor in a cascade of gut-wrenching tears.. but like Bytor I got a lot on my plate lately, and in truth, it was like three fucking years over-do from not properly grieving the last time I faced the jaws of Hell.. Sometimes its cleansing, others its just boring. I prefer the Stoic approach involving inward psychological masochism and other forms of spiritual nihilism [e.g prying open my third eye.. ], the end result, what the Fathers call Apatheia (a state of existence completely voided of passions, not to be confused with apathy which is a complete lack of concern)

dale_gribble 12.28.2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
a state of existence completely voided of passions

pretty much sums it up for me, you explained it very well sir. maybe once every couple of years i cry.

ALIEN ANAL 12.28.2012 04:28 PM

I dont cry either. I find i get a head ache before i am about to and it puts me off.

I havent cried in years. I do wake up at night sobbing. :D

the ikara cult 12.28.2012 04:36 PM

I have to be absolutely fecking heartbroken + absolutely fecking hammered to REALLY cry. But once thats over I dont remember it ever making me feel better.

stu666 12.28.2012 05:03 PM

I cried tonight. I just got back from seeing my grandad who's dying in hospital. He's in so much pain and wanted help but there's nothing that can be done for him except morphine. It's really upset me.

!@#$%! 12.28.2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
I cried tonight. I just got back from seeing my grandad who's dying in hospital. He's in so much pain and wanted help but there's nothing that can be done for him except morphine. It's really upset me.

oh shit man-- sorry, stu.

h8kurdt 12.28.2012 05:38 PM

Dammit Stu, just as I was about to put my usual "stop whining" picture with Arnie on you come out with that.

Really sorry to hear that man.

So here's a less twattish one.

Me, you and the one with a mixture of signs.

the ikara cult 12.28.2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

my thoughts are with you Stu. I hope youve got the chance to speak to him whilst he's cogent before he goes. I never got the chance with my grandparents, and i wish i had done

stu666 12.28.2012 06:16 PM

thanks guys

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
I hope youve got the chance to speak to him whilst he's cogent before he goes. I never got the chance with my grandparents, and i wish i had done

Well that's what made it worse, he didn't really seem to know who I was or where he was. He just wanted the pain to stop.

the ikara cult 12.28.2012 06:32 PM

I remember the last time i saw my grandmother, she was an incredibly strong woman but Altzheimers reduced her to having to be treated like a 6 month old baby, wearing nappies and being spoonfed apricot mush. Its not how i remember her really. If theres a chance for you to communicate with them as you remember them, its worth it.

hipster_bebop_junkie 12.28.2012 06:47 PM

Sorry to hear that, Stu. Reminds me of my grandmother's death last year. Sounds like a similar situation. I send you hugs and lots of love as well.

Savage Clone 12.28.2012 06:57 PM

I have cried more in the last two years than I have in my entire life. I think it is subsiding now, though.

floatingslowly 12.28.2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I have cried more in the last two years than I have in my entire life. I think it is subsiding now, though.

Jesus wept.

the ikara cult 12.28.2012 08:14 PM

Its hard to get upset about most things, as im sure youll agree

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.28.2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
I remember the last time i saw my grandmother, she was an incredibly strong woman but Altzheimers reduced her to having to be treated like a 6 month old baby, wearing nappies and being spoonfed apricot mush. Its not how i remember her really. If theres a chance for you to communicate with them as you remember them, its worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesus
When you are young you gird yourself and go where you want, when you grow older others will gird your waste for you and carry you where they will..

Jesus gets a bad rap because of Westboro Baptist folks and the whole Crusades thing, but like the parables of the Buddha Christianity is deeply insightful to navigating the traumas of the human experience. When young Siddhartha left the palace, he discovered the first noble truth, life is suffering. As the the French say, "Such is life," and the Arabs in Palestine concur whenever Israel blows some shit up and kills some people, "God is good (i.e. what else can be done?)."

The moral of this noble Truth is that is indeed part of human dignity and nobility to survive these, thrive in these, and therefore sanctify the varying circumstances of life. When we were young children, adults made the day to day sacrifices to their "dignity" for the better of their families which in the long-arc is beneficial to the entirety of our species. In this way, their indignation is in fact the noblest of human dignities, to serve others altruistically. This is also what Jesus meant by His saying this to Saint Peter. What the Church calls Christian dignity is indeed the reality of the Fifth Commandment, reiterated by both Apostle Paul and indeed the Apostle John, "To honor ones father and mother with promise." The life which God or Darwinian evolution or just the shit reality of life is that we are part of families, part of communities which when we were younger sacrificed moments and aspects of their lives to care for us as children, and we are therefore one way or another obligated to return this favor. It was dignified that they labored for love, and out of our moving love for them we then take over as they age. In Christian philosophy, the function of aging is to learn to yield to the outside forces of reality with a kind of optimism and dignity. The struggles of life are the very functions and therefore joys of life.

It is a joy to care-give, and while the ICU or a hospice is simply the most terrifying place in the human experience, even more perhaps than an open war-zone because the adrenaline of the fight-or-flight reaction is subdued, internalized. You can't run away, you can't hide, in fact you have to grow up and face those demons and the demons of those folks suffering together. Together is the key. It is biologically inevitable that human beings die. It is a further biological fact that death in all humans is a gradual process. So we being social creatures, have created an entire culture and society to deal and cope with this reality of human mortality. Our infants need care to survive, they are not reptilian, and our elders need care, and we are not cannibals so by and large human nature coerces the heart to care for the ill or aged as much as for the instinctive cuteness of the infant and the puppy/kitten. A crippled cat is as heart-wrenching in the opposite direction as a ridiculously cute kitten, and the reaction is the same, movement of the heart towards direct action. When we see babies, we are instinctively moved to like them. When we see our dying elders, we are instinctively moved to care for them. Jesus fits into all this even if just as a mythological figure as a living allegory of this process and reality. The Christian life is to learn our best day by day to find meaning, purpose, and hope through the trials and inevitable suffering of human life in all its natural stages and developments, and in particular to face our mortality with a kind of dignity which Richard Dawkins seems to lack in the regard. He strikes me as paranoid. Being afraid of the pain is real enough, but this is what Faith is about. If this Faith is not in God, it is at least a miraculous function of the heart which pushes us each tragic day to stand, to wait, to serve at peoples' deathbeds. If that isn't God what is?

By the way, Stu, Bytor, Ikra, I'm going through it with y'all so much more than you know or I'd care to share. This is the reality of the SYG board, we've been here for long enough years to have went through many of the cycles of life. Much like how American Beauty was a product of the passing of Jerry Garcia's mother and Phil's father, it was a biological reality of the Dead being guys in their 30s instead of 20s, that the music reflect such. Here on SYG, we've all started to hit that wall. Keep it positive SYG y'all, its all sonic love. "Times takes its crazy toll.."