Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mix Tapes Round 2 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4876)

golden child 08.09.2006 12:22 PM

ill do it!

i put off doing it last time...

ill do it tonight, or atleast get the tracklist ready.

im exicted, i think.

porkmarras 08.09.2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golden child
ill do it!

i put off doing it last time...

ill do it tonight, or atleast get the tracklist ready.

im exicted, i think.

Well you did buy your entire record collection in one go now,havent you golden child??(just joking,don't worry)

Toilet & Bowels 08.09.2006 12:33 PM

was on nathan barley where they have a bit about someone whose job it is to buy a record collection for people? i reckon i'd make a mint if i did that.

porkmarras 08.09.2006 12:36 PM

Yep.Especially if they'd have no choice after you bought the records.Force feed them basically.

Trasher02 08.09.2006 01:07 PM

This is actually really cool.
I wish I could join but you know.
I'm lazy.

Hip Priest 08.09.2006 05:43 PM

Go on, join in!

I had a fairly strict criteria for the first mixtape, so this time I will either choose a different strict criteria or just be random. There's quite a mix within that first tape's strict criteria though.

Пятхъдесят Шест 08.09.2006 05:45 PM

I was going for a theme of sorts for the second tape, but that quickly changed. So its semi-themed. Whatever that may mean.

Pookie 08.09.2006 05:59 PM

I think there must be some second tape syndrome because I was going to go for a theme this time. I might still, hmmmm (the sound of me pondering).

Hip Priest 08.09.2006 06:01 PM

I want to avoid using mostly the same artists as I did in tape one.

Пятхъдесят Шест 08.09.2006 06:05 PM

I think its harder to carry a theme, because rather than just picking songs, you're picking songs that are about something, or fit into a specific genre or what have you.

It seemed like there were so many songs I wanted to add to the first one, but now I find my self searching.

Toilet & Bowels 08.09.2006 06:55 PM

the thing that makes me hesitant to enter this is that i kind of imagine i'll put time and effort into making a tape for someone only to receive a tape with multiple tracks by dino jr/mudhoney/SY/MBV/pavement or whatever. however, seeing which people are involved i doubt this will actually be the case.

Toilet & Bowels 08.09.2006 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
I think its harder to carry a theme, because rather than just picking songs, you're picking songs that are about something, or fit into a specific genre or what have you.

It seemed like there were so many songs I wanted to add to the first one, but now I find my self searching.

i just try to just line up tunes that will sound good after each other whilst gradually traversing styles or moods, rather than create a concept for the mix, it's much easier.

golden child 08.09.2006 07:01 PM

Quote:

the thing that makes me hesitant to enter this is that i kind of imagine i'll put time and effort into making a tape for someone only to receive a tape with multiple tracks by dino jr/mudhoney/SY/MBV/pavement or whatever. however, seeing which people are involved i doubt this will actually be the case.

ha, totally.

Пятхъдесят Шест 08.09.2006 07:02 PM

Not a single one of those bands are featured on my tapes. I would not have it any other way. I can't imagine anyone else who sent a tape to do that either. Porky sending some Dino? Golden Child picking Mudhoney? No way.

Also, look at who is participating. You should take part because you have a lot to offer! I think the same can be said for Savage Clone, but I assume he isn't interested for the same reason you are leary.

Пятхъдесят Шест 08.09.2006 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i just try to just line up tunes that will sound good after each other whilst gradually traversing styles or moods, rather than create a concept for the mix, it's much easier.

I wanted mine to be space related. But....I ran out of options. Most of the stuff I have that involves space is from Sun Ra (nearly everything he recorded).

Alex's Trip 08.09.2006 07:08 PM

What about us younger fans that don't have tape recorders? :(

Пятхъдесят Шест 08.09.2006 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
What about us younger fans that don't have tape recorders? :(

At the very least, you've got to have an old boom box laying around some where.

Alex's Trip 08.09.2006 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
At the very least, you've got to have an old boom box laying around some where.

I might have to ask my dad and go digging through our garage. But can they even record to tapes? Man, I'm so out of the cassette loop...

Toilet & Bowels 08.09.2006 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
But can they even record to tapes? Man, I'm so out of the cassette loop...

what do they teach in the schools these days?!

Alex's Trip 08.09.2006 08:26 PM

Not much...