Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

ilduclo 08.06.2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion

Happy belated birthday James Baldwin, what a great movie.

Yes, very good. Have you seen “I Called Him Morgan”?

Severian 08.06.2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I HATE HATE HATE how hollywood films always have to show the superheros faces close up, with no mask on. PUT ON THE FUCKING MASKS

You’re right, the Dark Knight *is* amazing and transcendent.

!@#$%! 08.06.2018 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
You’re right, the Dark Knight *is* amazing and transcendent.

shhh. please. please. enough with this stupid shit. it grates so much after seeing this

which is actually amazing and actually transcendent and it’s just beyond anything one sees in the... anywhere. i wanna watch it all over again.

i wanted to watch it in a ceremonial/serious kind of way but was too impatient to start and watched half late last night before sleep, then half today as soon as work was over.

o man

this was something else

also props to dick cavett for having that kind of conversation in a teevee talk show which i was not aware it had existed until, coincidentally, just last sunday the nyt had a feature about him, and the tales were perplexing—mohammed ali going on about vietnam for 90 minutes, for example—and to see the way james baldwin goes on without moderation or interruptions—wow. apparently it’s all on youtube now.

anyway, im sorta speechless, and just came to say thanks, and wow, thanks. and then! lol

but anyway, yes. watch this great thing. it so needs to be analyzed. and discussed. and then discussed again. and rewatched. and talked about some more.

TheDom 08.06.2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

which is actually amazing and actually transcendent and it’s just beyond anything one sees in the... anywhere. i wanna watch it all over again.

i wanted to watch it in a ceremonial/serious kind of way but was too impatient to start and watched half late last night before sleep, then half today as soon as work was over.

o man

this was something else

also props to dick cavett for having that kind of conversation in a teevee talk show which i was not aware it had existed until, coincidentally, just last sunday the nyt had a feature about him, and the tales were perplexing—mohammed ali going on about vietnam for 90 minutes, for example—and to se the way jamews baldwins goes on without moderation or interruptions—wow. apparently it’s all on youtube now.

anyway, im sorta speechless, and just came to say thanks, and wow, thanks. and then! lol

but anyway, yes. watch this great thing. it so needs to be analyzed. and discussed. and then discussed again. and rewatched. and talked about some more.

Where did you watch it? I'd like to see it. I saw a screening of The Searchers this week end and a speaker before the screening made a reference to Baldwin and this documentary.

I wish there was someone like Dick Cavett on TV. He also brought Ingmar Bergman and Godard to American TV sets. Always a great interviewer who knew when to shut the fuck up.

!@#$%! 08.06.2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom
Where did you watch it? I'd like to see it. I saw a screening of The Searchers this week end and a speaker before the screening made a reference to Baldwin and this documentary.

I wish there was someone like Dick Cavett on TV. He also brought Ingmar Bergman and Godard to American TV sets. Always a great interviewer who knew when to shut the fuck up.

it’s free on amazon prime video!

which blew my mind.

as for cavett: funny you should say that. i used to be a fan of the charlie rose show cuz he always would bring “great people”, but i never was a fan of him personally because he *would not shut the fuck up*. so i’d always be yelling, i swear: “shut uuuuup charlieee!!!” also, he’d quickly shut down anybody whose opinion he disagreed with. but one time i remember jeanne moreau was getting interrupted by him and shut him the fuck up at last ha ha ha.

gonna look up dick cavett on youtube. but baldwin! o man. no words.

as for “ the searchers”— it looks so good but it’s so fucked up. cant tell if it’s paean or criticism.

also stagecoach figures there. john wayne in fact is a pretty big figure on this documentary.

LifeDistortion 08.06.2018 10:07 PM

Felt much the same way !@#$%! This documentary should be seen by everyone. Its both infuriating and life affirming. It still lingers with me.

Watched this today, another really great French movie that flew under the radar but is damn good.

Severian 08.08.2018 07:35 AM

Quote:

shhh. please. please. enough with this stupid shit. it grates so much after seeing this

Jesus, it was on subject (tangentially). So, like, you shh.

Anyway, I haven’t seen “I Am Not Your Negro,” but now I’m fixing to watch this weekend after reading your comments about it.

Happy now, motherfucker?

!@#$%! 08.08.2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Felt much the same way !@#$%! This documentary should be seen by everyone. Its both infuriating and life affirming. It still lingers with me.

yess. i went yesterday and watched the whole cambridge debate on youtube. it’s 58 minutes and change.

baldwin was brilliant, and william f. buckley was such a pompous douche haaa haaaaa haaaa

Quote:

Watched this today, another really great French movie that flew under the radar but is damn good.

oh, thank you for this! i was 100% unaware of it

!@#$%! 08.08.2018 09:19 AM

....aaaand holy shit it’s on prime too

this i won’t see so quickly cuz i gotta be in the right frame of mind to deal with the notion of (holy shit) mass rape—but i’ve added it to my watchlist.

and again thanks, keep posting great stuff

evollove 08.10.2018 12:56 PM

Anyone ever see KILLER OF SHEEP? Looks great.

!@#$%! 08.10.2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove

YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS.

yes yes yes yes

best american indie movie ever

saw it when it was finally released in 2007, then again on rental

man. dat movie. it’s from another dimension.

the guys second movie was not so great tho. so calibrate your expectations for “my brother’s wedding”. which feels kinds like an extended episode of “good times”. (i liked “good times” btw so not saying bad. just not... fucking sublime)

yes. killer of sheep is fucking sublime.

best american indie/art film/ something

evollove 08.10.2018 01:23 PM

Eh. That doesn't sound like something I'd like.

Jk.

This is from Roger Ebert:

Any review, whether positive or negative, should give the reader a fair idea of what it would be like to see it themselves. I refer you to an actual conversation I once had on the phone:

Caller: "We live near the Wilmette Theatre, which is showing 'Cries and Whispers.' What can you tell us about it?"

Self: "I think it is the best film of the year."

Caller: "Oh, that doesn't sound like anything we'd want to see!"

!@#$%! 08.10.2018 01:36 PM

haaa haaa haaa

right...

anyway must-must-must watch

without delay!

you’ll laugh, you’ll cry, etc

srsly, dat movie. i have no words.

h8kurdt 08.10.2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove

Great film. Just realise he was on a massive budget

Edit:by massive I mean massively small. Terrible English I know.

HenryHill51 08.12.2018 12:28 AM

Quote:

Watched Trouble Every Day. I really didn't know a ton about this movie going into it. I had seen the poster online, other than that didn't know much. That movie is beautiful and possibly one of the darkest movies I've ever seen. I remember when that movie "Raw" came out and people were talking about that being a difficult movie to watch. I'm a big fan of "Raw", but it has nothing on some of the scenes in Trouble Every Day.

This is a great, disturbing film and quite the radical departure from Claire Denis' other films. I remember for the longest time it was very hard to find and never released on home video after making quite the splash at the '01 Cannes and Toronto Film festivals. Glad its available now to stream.

demonrail666 08.14.2018 03:59 AM

I Am Divine

I enjoyed this a lot but didn't really learn much I didn't already know, except that Divine's mum looks like she would've fitted in perfectly in films like Female Trouble. Just a shame so many of the old Dreamland crowd are no longer around, so no contributions from the likes of David Lochary or Cookie Mueller or Edith Massey. (It's surely only a matter of time before someone makes a documentary about her - if they haven't already.)

!@#$%! 08.14.2018 08:33 AM

Quote:

Anyway, I haven’t seen “I Am Not Your Negro,” but now I’m fixing to watch this weekend after reading your comments about it.

Happy now, motherfucker?

so, motherfucker... didja? ;)

Severian 08.14.2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

so, motherfucker... didja? ;)

Not yet, sorry. I got sucked into Handmaid’s Tale, which I finished last night.

Motherfucker.

!@#$%! 08.14.2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Not yet, sorry. I got sucked into Handmaid’s Tale, which I finished last night.

Motherfucker.

oh you lying motherfucker

get your sorry motherfucking ass on with it!

(it will live up to the hype, i promise)

!@#$%! 08.14.2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

I Am Divine

I enjoyed this a lot but didn't really learn much I didn't already know, except that Divine's mum looks like she would've fitted in perfectly in films like Female Trouble. Just a shame so many of the old Dreamland crowd are no longer around, so no contributions from the likes of David Lochary or Cookie Mueller or Edith Massey. (It's surely only a matter of time before someone makes a documentary about her - if they haven't already.)

hahaha i wanna see divine’s mom

those people died a long long time ago!

i think someone is gonna just have to interrogate john waters thoroughly about them

ima see if this is available somewhere...