Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The band you've tried hardest to like but never got there? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23731)

atsonicpark 07.24.2008 05:43 PM

?

I dunno, the Fall is a different thing for me, it's like I said above.. so many of their albums are really different. Do you have Grotesque? That's extremely musically developed and very aware of dynamics and repetition with minor changes... it's pretty brilliant.

atsonicpark 07.24.2008 05:43 PM

The Fall are one of my all time favorite bands but I only really love maybe 15 of their albums.

uhler 07.24.2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Rob, if I'm ever proven wrong about a great band that I initially hated, I'll let everyone know. However, even music I didn't LOVE back in the day, I STILL could find it interesting -- I may not have been crazy about Stars of the Lid 5 years ago but I could tell one day I'd love them. And now I do. I'm just saying, there are some bands that are COMPLETE shit and I'll never force myself through them. And there are bands I recognize the musicality of.. like say.. fuck OPETH or something... but I don't necassarily enjoy them... but I will probably listen to them a bit in order to appreciate them better. I just realize that some things I will never like. EVERY type of music, every awful band, has something of value contained within it... but why waste your time listening to bad shit when there are hundreds of thousands of great bands? I guess that's what I'm saying.

Also, uhler, Captain Beefheart seemed boring on first listen? Eh?! I could see "annoying" "mindless" etc but BORING? That's interesting.

i guess different ears for different people. also, at the time i was listening to a lot of punk rock so something like captain beefheart bored me until about a year later when my musical tastes grew.

atsonicpark 07.24.2008 05:46 PM

interesting.

I just personally.. I guess it depends what album you listen to, but they're one of the craziest bands to ever exist, musically, I just don't see how anyone could find them......... boring. But fair enough. I'm guessing you hadn't heard 1010th day of the human totem pole, maybe the least-boring song ever written :)

uhler 07.24.2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
interesting.

I just personally.. I guess it depends what album you listen to, but they're one of the craziest bands to ever exist, musically, I just don't see how anyone could find them......... boring.

i just preferred speed and captain beefheart wasn't fast enough for me back then.

ricechex 07.24.2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Fear not. In time it will happen.

I don't think its gonna happen, demon. I've known the fall for a long time. They have some moments, no doubt, but considering the acclaim and the 30 album or whatever output, they just don't cut the mustard.

demonrail666 07.24.2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricechex
I don't think its gonna happen, demon. I've known the fall for a long time. They have some moments, no doubt, but considering the acclaim and the 30 album or whatever output, they just don't cut the mustard.

Don't give up on us ricechex, you can do it ... just one more listen to Hip Priest. That's all we ask.

atsonicpark 07.24.2008 05:51 PM

the nwra is so good .

ricechex 07.24.2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Don't give up on us ricechex, you can do it ... just one more listen to Hip Priest. That's all we ask.

haha. i haven't shut the door. I do like some things but i wanted to love em' like everyone else..haha :confused:

demonrail666 07.24.2008 06:02 PM

Clutch.

Recommended me by a friend who I generally agree with on such things, and yet nothing, despite many attempts.

sarramkrop 07.24.2008 06:04 PM

I don't try hard to like anything.I win no matter what.

acousticrock87 07.24.2008 06:10 PM

I will just say, I fucking hated Sonic Youth when I first bought Dirty. I listened to it several times, took a break, listened to it more, bought a couple more CDs, and finally liked them. I'm glad I did that, and if the result is positive, there's nothing wrong with it. If music is obviously shit, then it's fine to just toss it out the window. But there are times when it's good to keep trying.

pbradley 07.24.2008 06:12 PM

The first time I listened to Sonic Youth, it was pretty challenging. But then it eventually paid off.

I don't buy this "I'm so honest that I never challenge my taste in music" shit.

sarramkrop 07.24.2008 06:15 PM

Then again you have the music taste of a 2 year old with no enthusiasm for anything but easy listening. It's no wonder you are constantly aurally challenged, is it?

pbradley 07.24.2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Then again you have the music taste of a 2 year old with no enthusiasm for anything but easy listening. It's no wonder you are constantly aurally challenged, is it?

If that were the case, wouldn't I put down a record at the first sign of a challenge and not have gotten into Sonic Youth or whatever else since then?

Or are you saying that a good taste in music is something that you can only be born into and not develop?

sarramkrop 07.24.2008 06:24 PM

Did you cry while you were writing all that shite?

pbradley 07.24.2008 06:31 PM

Your life must be so boring.

atsonicpark 07.24.2008 07:01 PM

I don't find anything challenging. Though that may be from constantly seeking out things that are challenging.

Music isn't a challenge. I love sound in general.

pbradley 07.24.2008 09:49 PM

I think you find music that you don't like challenging. The only difference is that you see there is no value in the challenge. Magik Markers, for example. You have often ranted against them in the past. They did challenge you but they changed nothing. You aren't open to things you are closed to, even if you have good reasons to be so.

As far as I'm concerned saying that you find no music challenging is saying that you thoroughly enjoy listening to all music. Dullness is a challenge, mediocrity is a challenge. It is a relative term and even if you buy into whatever faux-transcendent self-image, it will always relate to you. But I doubt those of you that glorify the music historical revolutionary definition of "challenge" will see the flip side when applied to yourself.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.24.2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Led Zeppelin. I keep trying but no, nothing.

Yep. I like the music and all, but I just can't get it.