Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is Trump really a serious contender for the Republican nomination? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=113183)

!@#$%! 03.13.2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Swear it's like having a resident fox news presenter on the sonic youth forum

he’s a terminal moronavirus case

brain has turned to putty

ilduclo 03.13.2020 11:23 AM

1.5 trillion in repo $ to the market.....initial response? +2.5%...I recall someone saying, at one time “WEAK!!”.... oh, dang, looks like that was just a dead cat bounce, providing one last opportunity for managers to GTFO....response now is +1.5%, which doesn’t even show as noise on the 1 month DJIA chart.

Skuj 03.13.2020 03:38 PM

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...s-changes-have

It's Obama's fault!!

Skuj 03.13.2020 03:46 PM

Bytor, this is "fun" for you?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RwifWuURRyY

!@#$%! 03.16.2020 01:57 PM

“get your own respirator”

not enough facepalms

tw2113 03.16.2020 02:18 PM

I have a hunch it was meant to be "we're doing what we can but keep seeking out alternative sources in the meantime" type thing, but very obviously badly worded

ilduclo 03.16.2020 02:20 PM

“the situation we have right now is the situation we have right now"

US Surgeon General

Bytor Peltor 03.16.2020 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
1.5 trillion in repo $ to the market.....initial response? +2.5%...I recall someone saying, at one time “WEAK!!”.... oh, dang, looks like that was just a dead cat bounce, providing one last opportunity for managers to GTFO....response now is +1.5%, which doesn’t even show as noise on the 1 month DJIA chart.

The bounce of a dead cat depends on the bottom, which the market is trying to find today. The FED moving interest rates to ZERO was important for a mood shift and has allowed investors to start thinking about buying. The damage has been done for this cycle, now we wait to see signs of positive ripples and improvement that might not start tending up until late June.

ilduclo 03.16.2020 02:37 PM

ha ha end of the Trimp admin. He was always a marginal motherfucker, anyways, just BARELY won the EC. He's a goner now.

Skuj 03.16.2020 03:59 PM

But isn't all of this Obama's fault?

!@#$%! 03.16.2020 04:05 PM

thanks obama! (for stopping ebola in its tracks when it broke out)

Skuj 03.16.2020 05:23 PM

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...y-over/607969/

I know....I know.....fake news!!

!@#$%! 03.16.2020 08:33 PM

is trump really a serious contender for the republican nomination?

well...

tw2113 03.16.2020 08:43 PM

I don't have enough confidence in the overall US people to vote him out. Sadly I legit think there's enough people who will vote for him again and we get a 2nd term.

Skuj 03.16.2020 10:55 PM

He's leading both Joe and Bernie in a recent Florida poll. I fear for humanity.

ilduclo 03.17.2020 08:15 AM

Pennsylvania, Va, even Ohio not Trimp.

Senate ;McSally, Mitch and Collins losing

Bytor Peltor 03.18.2020 12:32 AM

CNN Recognizing The Great Action And Response From President Trump

!@#$%! 03.18.2020 04:18 AM

pffffffffttttttt

Skuj 03.18.2020 03:47 PM

Charlie Fucking Kirk taking things out of context again, and Bytor doing the same. Out of context squared. Trump is a complete failure on this. No amount of good that he does now will erase the complete incompetence that he displayed earler.

!@#$%! 03.18.2020 08:00 PM

There is no new Trump

[ugly-ass photo]
President Trump speaks during Tuesday's White House briefing on the coronavirus. Members of the coronavirus task force stand with him.

By George T. Conway III
March 18, 2020 at 1:13 p.m. MDT

If you think you’ve been hearing a different President Trump this week — more accepting of the reality of the coronavirus pandemic — don’t be fooled. The new Trump is the same as the old Trump. He can’t help it. He’s incapable of taking responsibility for his role in this crisis — and thus incapable of leading us out of it.

After weeks of denial and deflection, a seemingly chastened Trump on Monday conceded that the virus was, in fact, “not under control,” and was, indeed, “a very bad one.” What caused the switch in tone? Who knows? Perhaps it was the largest one-day point drop in the Dow Jones in history on Monday. Perhaps it was a study the White House received saying that 2.2 million Americans could die. Perhaps it was that Trump’s beloved Mar-a-Lago is getting a coronavirus-necessitated deep cleaning.

But the sudden shift can’t conceal the fact that Trump has shown himself to be wholly inept at dealing with the pandemic. It doesn’t change the fact that he puts himself first, always. It doesn’t alter the fact that, as he once told top aides, he thinks of “each presidential day as an episode in a television show in which he vanquishes rivals.” It doesn’t dissolve Trump’s compulsion to lie, even when truth would serve him best. It doesn’t diminish his incompetence, ignorance or propensity for administrative chaos.

And it doesn’t change his inability to accept responsibility. “I don’t take responsibility at all,” Trump said Friday. So too this week, even as he acknowledged the seriousness of the situation he had played down for so long.

On Monday, Trump said he would rate his performance in confronting the pandemic a 10 out of 10. Tuesday, he absurdly claimed, “I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.” Wednesday, he tweeted that he had “always treated the Chinese Virus very seriously.” He also continued to blame others, lashing out at Democratic governors who bemoan his failing federal leadership.

Of course, Trump will always take credit for positive developments — even those he didn’t cause, create or do — like the economy he inherited, an electoral “landslide” that never happened and the Christmas holiday he didn’t need to save. If it’s positive, then it’s “thank you President T,” as he once tweeted.

But responsibility? Never. Ever the blameless narcissist, Trump always insists that the buck stops wherever convenient — for him, personally. For Trump, success always has a single father — himself. Failure has a hundred — everyone and anyone else. The media. The Democrats. The “deep state.” Disloyal staffers. Prosecutors. Judges. Anyone who doesn’t do his bidding or sufficiently sing his praises.

And the common thread between his taking credit and shifting blame? Trump’s standbys: Lying, deceit and exaggeration. All have come into play throughout his presidency, and all now have come home to roost.

He mendaciously claimed that his phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was “perfect.” Perversely but fittingly, he has compared his coronavirus response to that call: “The tests are all perfect, like the letter was perfect, the transcription was perfect, right? This was not as perfect as that, but pretty good.”

His absurd, repeated claims that the outbreak wouldn’t be so bad have been almost too many to count. Even as late as the weekend before last, Trump said at his infected Mar-a-Lago resort that: “They’re trying to scare everybody, from meetings, cancel the meetings, close the schools — you know, destroy the country. And that’s okay, as long as we can win the election.”

As long as we can win the election. That’s what it’s all about for Trump. It’s always about winning — winning for Trump, by making him look good in each day’s reality-television production. It’s never been about the country.
Which is why Trump wanted a cruise ship with infected passengers to be kept offshore: “because I like the numbers being where they are.” And why Trump kept pretending the virus crisis wasn’t a crisis — to keep the stock market from tanking, to win an election.

But the way a president actually can make himself look good is by being a true leader. By seeing the truth clearly, telling it bluntly and acting on it promptly and skillfully — not by dissembling, preening and careening from day to day. By behaving like Donald Trump, the president has shown himself incapable of leading the country.

Trump’s abject failure of leadership brings to mind the words, borrowed from Oliver Cromwell, that British Conservative backbencher Leo Amery used in 1940 to bring down Neville Chamberlain, a prime minister of his own party: “You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go.”

The nation needs a credible, competent president, now more than ever. The surest and best thing Trump could do to come to the aid of his country — to save lives — would be to go, as the hapless Chamberlain did. But that won’t happen. Because that would be taking responsibility, something Trump has never done and will never know how to do. It’s too bad for us.