Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Salt Lake City gig ? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41558)

reginald 09.28.2010 10:43 AM

Salt Lake City gig ?

I haven't been around the forum much lately, but at quick glance, I don't see anything much about next week's SLC show.

I'm out here now and wondered who else in the area might be attending. Sure is a tiny mini-tour from what I see...only 6 shows ?

I'd thought at first maybe they were 'warm-ups' for the Matador dealy in Las Vegas but I now realize there's only ONE show, with Pavement, before that date....so....what's up ?

Dead-Air...you comin' down for the show ? Who else is around this inner Rocky Mtn. town ?

*oh and btw, will Mark Ibold be with them or is he touring with Pavement now ?

donnie 09.28.2010 01:25 PM

I don't know what possessed the Sonics to visit Salt Lake twice in two years, but I'm glad and I'll be there. They did get an ecstatic reception here last year. I'm recommending dinner at Hong Kong Tea House next door too.

tesla69 09.28.2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie
I don't know what possessed the Sonics to visit Salt Lake twice in two years, but I'm glad and I'll be there..

maybe it has to do with occult rituals at the secret underground facilities under the Denver Airport. I don't know for sure, I'm just speculating.

donnie 09.28.2010 03:47 PM

nope. all the occult rituals are in salt lake city

reginald 09.29.2010 08:53 PM

Could be they got hooked on the green jello while here last.

Isn't there a poster here who's avatar is green jello ? I'll remember in a minute....

Aha...that didn't take long...it's YouthofTomorrow !!

reginald 10.01.2010 10:49 PM

Not much of a SY contingent out here in MoMo land I guess. At least not on this board.

I hope there are a few folks at the show. There's gonna be over 100,000 outta towners here this weekend for the LDS conference. I bet not ONE will stay for the SY show though. LOL

donnie 10.02.2010 10:28 AM

Looks like it'll just be me and you. Actually I think there'll be a good crowd, at least I hope so. A lot of good music comes thru salt lake, but so very often on weeknights. The set list at the Matador party really makes me wonder what we'll get to hear-I'm guessing it'll be the "historical" lineup without Mark-and I'm hoping we do get some of those "greatest hit" items like bull in the heather and the somewhat unloved 100%, even though they are not the heart of the SY classical repertoire. What?
Right: overlap between Mormon conference goers and concert goers is not gonna be real big. But you never know. In fact you're not gonna know. That's why it's occult. Hah!

chicka 10.02.2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie
I don't know what possessed the Sonics to visit Salt Lake twice in two years, but I'm glad and I'll be there. They did get an ecstatic reception here last year. I'm recommending dinner at Hong Kong Tea House next door too.

Maybe they dig the Hong Kong Tea House too. When I saw them last year at the Wilbur in Boston I was surprised not only by the size of the crowd but the makeup of the crowd with the majority being around 40 give or take a few years. The previous few shows I had seen were dominated by teens/twenty-somethings.

donnie 10.02.2010 03:37 PM

I'll be doing my part for the fifty-year olds.

donnie 10.06.2010 01:06 AM

salt lake Oct 5
candle
sacred trickster
no way
calming the snake
bull in the heather
(Lee song*)
Antenna
anti-orgasm
poison arrow
schizophrenia
catholic block
what we know
massage the history
the wonder-hyperstation
dv 69

*sorry but I could not recognize the Lee song after bull in the heather, help out, please, Reginald
A very good show played to a quite small crowd. glad I was there.

EVOLghost 10.06.2010 01:51 AM

Mote? Erics trip? Walking blues?

Georgekrz 10.06.2010 03:05 AM

set list: http://www.flickr.com/photos/95359145@N00/5056758174/
Shadow wasnt played. How bout the part where T. stuffed the guitar down Mark's shirt? T was telling stories between almost every song. A fucking awesome night. Awesome venue and people, SLFM was a great opener too, I think her 1st song was something about opening for Sonic Youth did anyone catch that, maybe I'm wrong, hard to catch lyrics in a concert situation like that, just a girl and her ukelele...

donnie 10.06.2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgekrz
set list: http://www.flickr.com/photos/95359145@N00/5056758174/
Shadow wasnt played. How bout the part where T. stuffed the guitar down Mark's shirt? T was telling stories between almost every song. A fucking awesome night. Awesome venue and people, SLFM was a great opener too, I think her 1st song was something about opening for Sonic Youth did anyone catch that, maybe I'm wrong, hard to catch lyrics in a concert situation like that, just a girl and her ukelele...

Mote. Thanks. Geez.
Yeah, it was a fun evening and Thurston was very jolly all night-you gotta love how much the man enjoys his job. I thought he was kind of charged up by the smallness of the place-it was like a show in a bar. It WAS a show in a bar.
SLFM-really cute and really game.T dedicated schizophrenia to her. I bought some of her souvenirs, hand made by herself. somebody get her a band!
Just a Tuesday in SLC

chicka 10.06.2010 11:31 AM

I guess Jenn would know best but it seems to me that the band's live shows have evolved from being dominated by Thurston to all of the members showing their chops.

reginald 10.06.2010 09:19 PM

I didn't make it. :(

Situations precluded my going to the show. Glad you other's enjoyed it, hopefully I'll make the next one.

donnie 10.07.2010 10:44 AM

Reginald: sorry, that is really too bad. It was such a close-up experience.
Chicka: Chops, yes. Thurston was the comedian the other night but what an ensemble. And I guess the more quiet you are, the less you get discussed on this board, but Steve Shelley's playing is so strong-wow. I also started to grasp how much Mark is playing chords on the bass, which I find interesting.

chicka 10.07.2010 11:19 AM

Definitely agree with you on Steve's playing. He just sits there so unassuming yet driving the band. What I love best is that he doesn't need a solo spot to show his importance to the band. One of the hardest working drummers I've ever watched.

donnie 06.05.2011 10:37 AM

hey dear friends, thurston's playing in little old Salt Lake on Aug 4, cool, huh? maybe a tour is developing.
http://twilightconcertseries.com/index.php