Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   i saw thurston at sxsw (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=237)

defcon4 03.24.2006 09:51 PM

i saw thurston at sxsw

Twice. Once when he played with Rhys Chatham and once outside the Animal Collective show. It was the second time I've had the opportunity to talk to him and was unable to open my mouth. It made me sad and I cried during most of AC. Later it occurred to me I should have asked where I could find a good record store in Austin.
I know there's been other threads like this, but have any of you managed a conversation with him or any of the other Sonics? Can anyone express similar encounters so I can stop the tears from falling on my pillow?

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.24.2006 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defcon4
Twice. Once when he played with Rhys Chatham and once outside the Animal Collective show. It was the second time I've had the opportunity to talk to him and was unable to open my mouth. It made me sad and I cried during most of AC. Later it occurred to me I should have asked where I could find a good record store in Austin.
I know there's been other threads like this, but have any of you managed a conversation with him or any of the other Sonics? Can anyone express similar encounters so I can stop the tears from falling on my pillow?

everyones' getting to see chatham!!!:(
i almost got to talk to Lee at a show but was to star struck to say anything. I was upset. It was before they got on state and he was just walking through the crowd to the back of the place. it was a small show maybe 200 people at most.

defcon4 03.24.2006 10:03 PM

Chatham destroyed. Seven guitars in a tiny little church. 1 a.m. I was in total noise bliss. Thurston wore glasses, by the way. Maybe he'll take em on tour this summer!

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.24.2006 10:11 PM

that sounds awesome. I want to see either chatham or branca before they parish. they're both getting old.

stirling 03.24.2006 11:21 PM

Speaking of Branca, anyone going to this?

Glenn Branca Hallucination City: Symphony 13 for 100 Guitars

March 29, 2006, 8:00 PM
Walt Disney Concert Hall
111 S. Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 850-2000
All seats $10.

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 03.24.2006 11:33 PM

Yeah, me and a couple of friends are driving up to L.A. from San Diego to see that performance. I mean, $10!? That's fucking dirt.

guitarpro 03.24.2006 11:53 PM

Cool

Toilet & Bowels 03.24.2006 11:59 PM

you cried?! why?

SugarLips 03.25.2006 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defcon4

:) don't be sad what a great time it sounds like you had seeing the shows and meeting up with TM yes I have been lucky on meeting up with the group, TM, Steve, Kim, Lee, and JO on the Nurse tour, all of my chances have been short conversations, except with Steve. I think they are cool people down to earth but its hard to think when you meet up with someone you really admire, the pressure kills ...good record store in Austin check out "Waterloo" ...so you went to TX from Chicago for the SWSX? I wanted to be there myself, but not in the cards this year. I hope to make it to LA for Branca's show .. freakin rocks !!!

marleypumpkin 03.25.2006 03:07 AM

When is Thurston going to have his next improv tour?

shentov 03.25.2006 04:17 AM

hey don't be sad. you live in the fucking states in i'm pretty sure you will have the chance to see him again. i will say once again, i hitched 1000 km to a crazy foreign country to see the youth with less than $30 in ma pocket, and i was very very afraid i could not see them close and talk to them. it was maybe the first ever gig in my life ever i was sober as fuck, and i saw them entering the venue, making the soundcheck, then playing the gig, and after that got in backstage and got signed my ticket, took pics and talked a while. on my pic with lee i am almost crying. my mouth muscles hurt after that. adrenaline!

guitarpro 03.25.2006 04:22 AM

I'll never forget getting to meet Thurston in Austin he was so cool.

shentov 03.25.2006 04:40 AM

and tall.

max 03.25.2006 12:57 PM

you guys are lucky guys.
word. :D

SugarLips 03.25.2006 05:03 PM

Thurston was very tall and laid back... for me I was surprised more by the size of Lee he's a good sized man, I mean wooooo yea I dont' know why I thought he'd be short and he was so nice to talk to. Kim was a little reserved she's not as talkative as the others, she is so tiny she's very petite, I thought she'd be like model tall. Maybe just me, but its funny how I guess watching them up on stage got my scale of them off balence.. Steve he was so cool just easy to talk to and joked around with us

it was nice to find SY members were not like some musicians I have met I'll not name names but I've met some assholes who I liked their music until I met them and their crap attitude spoiled it.

defcon4 03.25.2006 06:12 PM

I guess I've misled you folks. I didn't cry physically, it was more of an internal thing. I guess you could say a part of me died (metaphorically), plus I was with my lady so it was sort of demoralizing that I couldn't be witty in front of my hero. Anyway, next time I'm in Austin I'll definitely check out Waterloo.

Everyneurotic 03.25.2006 06:49 PM

i saw kim, steve and thurston at last summer's dinosaur jr show in central park, ny. i was so starstruck i couldn't motion to even see them. i tried yelling for thurston but it was futile since it was during the magik markers set (which wasn't as loud as i thought, anyway)

i'm seeing thurston playing tonight along with tom surgal and william winant, at first i was thinking that, this being a solo show, thurston would be more approachable but the more i think of it, the more i think thurston is going to be surrounded by people asking about kurt cobain, so i won't be disappointed if i don't get to meet him

and yeah, thurston is HUGELY tall!!!

hat and beard 03.25.2006 08:03 PM

more cool record stores in austin:
Antones - great stock of early rock n' roll, blues, country, & jazz
Snake Eyes Vinyl - a cool little store in east austin catering to a more punk audience

Gainsbarre 03.27.2006 06:32 PM

I met Thurston once and he couldn't have been kinder/cooler. Very approachable person, a fact you shouldn't forget. He's just a human being...

val-holla-ing 04.02.2006 02:20 PM

yeah, i was there for the rhys chatham performance. i actually met and spoke with thurston for a brief moment (he even did a station id for the station i work for) and rhys chatham came and had a good 30 minute conversation with me and my buddy about france and cigarettes and everything in between.

i didn't know he played outside of the animal collective show, though. if i had, i would've stepped outside and enjoyed myself a whole lot more.