Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   blonde redhead thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28240)

mil_pl 11.21.2008 11:20 AM

blonde redhead thread

fav album?
what you think od their music?

mil_pl 11.21.2008 11:23 AM

my votes goes to melody of certain.. and 23.
first is really good rock - melancholy one.
23 is more electronic and space, dream-pop album. awesome.

blunderbuss 11.21.2008 11:23 AM

My attempts to like them, fairly early on, came to nothing. I found them quite bland. They may have progressed since, but I've never bothered to check.

P.S. - Wow! This is the 25th thread to have Blonde Redhead in the title!

EVOLghost 11.21.2008 11:24 AM

I love them. I've never really fallin' in love with a band so quickly(besides da yoof). The first song I listened to by Blonde Readhead was A cure. That moment I was hooked. I listened to a little more from Melody of....lemons. Awesome album. 23 was next. Not as breathtaking as Melody or Misery but still awesome. I'm now listening to their earlier albums and my god they're beautiful.

Derek 11.21.2008 11:24 AM

misery is a butterfly

EVOLghost 11.21.2008 11:25 AM

OH yeah fave album....I'd say probably Melody...

greedrex 11.21.2008 11:40 AM

Don't get me started on BRH.
they are SO AMAZING
O MY GAWD
i can't even vote
i love them all
For newbies it's interesting to see they go by pairs.

bah
i'll go for the Red album.

EVOLghost 11.21.2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
Don't get me started on BRH.
they are SO AMAZING
O MY GAWD
i can't even vote
i love them all
For newbies it's interesting to see they go by pairs.

bah
i'll go for the Red album.

wait....you serious? and by red album you mean their self titled right?

greedrex 11.21.2008 11:56 AM

er no 'In the expression of the inexpressible"

surely their most radical

Misery bing their most "beautiful", completely different
but they're all excellent records, including 23, yes

mil_pl 11.21.2008 12:39 PM

you're right greedrex, this one is good too!

greedrex 11.21.2008 01:25 PM

^^ yes i'm always right, usually.

EVOLghost 11.21.2008 01:36 PM

Has anyone noticed tracks 7-10 on Melody say
7 This is Not
8 A cure
9 For the damaged
10 mother

Green Magnesium 11.21.2008 02:10 PM

I noticed 7-9.... but for some reason never thought of tacking "Mother" on to the sequence.

I LOVE this band so fucking much. It's becoming a bit ridiculous. I'm especially big on the last 3 albums: Melody, Misery, 23.

My fave might actually might be 23. I bought it on release day last year, and remember being disappointed with it at first. (Very different from anything else they've done.) After a couple of listens I pretty much became convinced it's one of the greatest pop albums of all time. I wish it was longer in length.

ihateyouth 11.21.2008 02:20 PM

I love Blonde Redhead, but 23 broke my heart a little. And all those "the tour has been cancelled" notices.
I listen to the self-titled almost every day, it's a good wake up album... and La Mia Vita Violenta is one of my favorites too.

ihateyouth 11.21.2008 02:21 PM

Fake Can Be Just As Good is awesome.

to.w 11.21.2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
7 This is Not
8 A cure
9 For the damaged
10 mother

In particular melody of certain three, hated because of great qualities, loved in spite of great faults...
I love these "certain three"... FAKE CAN is a mind-blower, but each album is a masterpiece in fact.

radarmaker 11.21.2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
7 This is Not
8 A cure
9 For the damaged
10 mother

Lift to Experience did the same thing:

Just As Was Told / Down Came The Angels / Falling From Cloud Nine / With Crippled Wings / Waiting To Hit / The Ground So Soft

These Are The Days / When We Shall Touch / Down With The Prophets / To Guard And To Guide You / Into The Storm

Blonde Redhead are a band I've meant to check out but never really have aside from a couple of compilation tracks - what's the best LP to start with?

EVOLghost 11.21.2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
I noticed 7-9.... but for some reason never thought of tacking "Mother" on to the sequence.

I LOVE this band so fucking much. It's becoming a bit ridiculous. I'm especially big on the last 3 albums: Melody, Misery, 23.

My fave might actually might be 23. I bought it on release day last year, and remember being disappointed with it at first. (Very different from anything else they've done.) After a couple of listens I pretty much became convinced it's one of the greatest pop albums of all time. I wish it was longer in length.

I was a bit disappointed with Kazu's songs on 23....some of them just bore me. However the song 23....is OMG hypnotizing.

EVOLghost 11.21.2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihateyouth
I love Blonde Redhead, but 23 broke my heart a little. And all those "the tour has been cancelled" notices.
I listen to the self-titled almost every day, it's a good wake up album... and La Mia Vita Violenta is one of my favorites too.

I was lucky to catch them on the 23 tour. Though I had to go by myself cause my stupid friend didn't have an ID. Then I caught the 2nd half of their set at Lollapalooza some years ago...and fantastic they were. Even though it's fun to smoke weed during the set, getting super high on good budz then hittin' up the small venue is cool too.

EVOLghost 11.21.2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radarmaker
Lift to Experience did the same thing:
Blonde Redhead are a band I've meant to check out but never really have aside from a couple of compilation tracks - what's the best LP to start with?

Um...any really. I would say probably Melody of a Certain Three...but I don't think it doesn't matter too much....as long as it isn't 23, thought it's a good album, it's not very consistent with their previous sound.