Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My only beef with Reggae Music... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=46445)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.08.2011 03:24 PM

My only beef with Reggae Music...

So I come from a jazzy, jam band root of guitar playing into reggae music, but most of the musicians and bands I jam reggae with these days don't want to jam!

Reggae has such a wonderful combination of possessed, driving bass lines and simple but eloquent rhythm chord patterns which allow for some serious creative jamming! It is evident in The Congos, in Burning Spear , in early Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus guitar work, and yet, most artists I play with even get upset and say "Naphty, ease up on the solo over the verse." These foundation artists are the ones who inspire me to expand my own guitar work in this direction, but the brothers today just ain't hearin it!

Haven't these brothers ever heard of a lead riff?

it always disappoints me because when I jam with the few like minded brothers who know its potential, or even just warm up scales over my iPod, the leads are just flying its like jerry garcia!! and yet these brothers just don't have a taste for it, it sucks as a musician because it is so bitterly stifling and creatively hostile...

I am waiting for the perfect opportunity to start a roots reggae jam band, its is already in the works, me and a good brother were just mutually complaining about this the other day..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.08.2011 06:09 PM

and already for you playa hatin naysayers I need it to be roots reggae and not just DUB because DUB is the vibes, but reggae spreads the message, and essentially I'd like to get a group together where we still heartically spread the message, but on a solid roots DUB foundation.

hevusa 02.08.2011 07:16 PM

sounds like reggae is not for you. it is just a ska derivative anyway. don't be too upset.

DeadDiscoDildo 02.09.2011 03:46 PM

My only beef with music is jam bands.

hevusa 02.09.2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
My only beef with music is jam bands.

I agree. It is the worst.

SonicBebs 02.09.2011 04:33 PM

i went to a folk-y festival last summer, and they had a few dub bands on. was rockin'

well done me

Savage Clone 02.09.2011 04:55 PM

Being a guitarist in a reggae band is essentially just holding a really expensive electric cabasa in most cases.
It just isn't a glory instrument in that genre. It's a percussion instrument with a neck and six nearly-useless strings, rare exceptions notwithstanding.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.10.2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
sounds like reggae is not for you. it is just a ska derivative anyway. don't be too upset.

you really haven't been paying any attention the past few years have you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Being a guitarist in a reggae band is essentially just holding a really expensive electric cabasa in most cases.
It just isn't a glory instrument in that genre. It's a percussion instrument with a neck and six nearly-useless strings, rare exceptions notwithstanding.

Its a little more than that, in fact keeping a riddim going with appropriate scratching and chanking is much harder than it looks, and if you follow the links or are in anyway familiar with reggae archives you will see there is quite a bit of expansive, innovative lead guitar work, its just that so many of the artists (at least those I have had the privilege to play with) are not as receptive to the potential..

DUB has these highlights embedded in its stylee, but I need to vocal power of reggae to spread the message, but also the simple jamming riddims to run through some creative guitar work.

hevusa 02.10.2011 12:44 PM

yes! <reverb>ses... ses... ses</reverb>
I have been paying attention <reverb>tension... tension... tension</reverb>
It blows <reverb>lows... lows... lows</reverb>

GeneticKiss 02.10.2011 01:47 PM

I think for most people, these days reggae is more about rhythm and vocal stylings than guitar solos...

GeneticKiss 02.10.2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
yes! <reverb>ses... ses... ses</reverb>
I have been paying attention <reverb>tension... tension... tension</reverb>
It blows <reverb>lows... lows... lows</reverb>

What you're thinking of in this case is delay or echo, not reverb.

Reverb would go more like this: Yeeeessssss, I have been paying attentiiiiionnn...it blowwwssss....

The Watcher 02.18.2011 03:36 PM

This thread is so culturally insensitive it makes me physically ill......

noisereductions 02.18.2011 03:51 PM

I feel you suchfriends.

as far as Reggae goes, I really like dub stuff. Which of course takes from jazz, as it was basically taking someone else's melody and adding yr own improv.

hevusa 02.18.2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
What you're thinking of in this case is delay or echo, not reverb.

You are correct. Or I should say we are both correct as delay and reverb are used together to achieve the sound we are describing.

hevusa 02.18.2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Watcher

Then you are a politically correct fuckface most likely.
Let me guess... you feel oppressed (take a number).

DeadDiscoDildo 02.18.2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

I think some cultures are overly sensitive

Glice 02.18.2011 07:22 PM

It's always nice when a member of a forum that is overwhelmingly white, privileged, middle-class, under-30 men suggests that 'some cultures are overly sensitive' in the only thread I can remember in the last while dealing with someone who wasn't either a) Polly Harvey (and that was a misogynist's ball) or b) a band made up of white, privileged, middle-class, under-30 men.

Having said that, I'd like to know why the Watcher feels this thread insensitive.

DeadDiscoDildo 02.18.2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
It's always nice when a member of a forum that is overwhelmingly white, privileged, middle-class, under-30 men suggests that 'some cultures are overly sensitive' in the only thread I can remember in the last while dealing with someone who wasn't either a) Polly Harvey (and that was a misogynist's ball) or b) a band made up of white, privileged, middle-class, under-30 men.

Having said that, I'd like to know why the Watcher feels this thread insensitive.

LOL

thanks for saying that.

Because judging by the color of my skin shows exactly how I grew up and what music I like...with your logic, what's a black dude doing on a sonic youth message board? I thought only troubled white kids listened to that band...

My musical taste is as diverse as America is fucked up, btw. Sorry I hate jam bands.

The Watcher 02.18.2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice

I think it's pretty obvious........

hevusa 02.18.2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

I think it's pretty obvious........

the only thing that is obvious is that you are a bed wetter.