Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Selected Hipster Celebrities Diagram (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1217)

noumenal 04.24.2006 01:09 AM

Selected Hipster Celebrities Diagram

Hey guys, here is a diagram of hipster celebrities (celebrities liked by hipsters) made by Bill Wasik (a senior editor of Harper's Magazine):

The community of hipsters is defined by Wasik as a "generational cohort. . . of educated young urbanites with strikingly similar tastes." They are usually between the early twenties and middle thirties. Wasik states that the main force behind hipsterism is the "drive toward deindividuation."

Here is Wasik writing about hipsters and music:

"Even as they might decry this drive toward unanimity, they continually embrace it and re-embrace it in an enthusiastic, almost ecstatic fashion. No phenomenon of recent years illustrated this point as clearly as the aforementioned Strokes, who for most of 2002 held the top-band spot in hip*sterdom. This was a band that, albeit enjoyable and skilled, had been clearly manufactured precisely for hipster delectation. Moreover, the hipsters were well aware of this fact, and they complained about it incessantly even as they cued up the record at parties and danced with special abandon. Indeed, one could perceive something palpably different, something animal, in the hipster species when the Strokes came over the speakers; and it was, I think, the reckless, self-abnegating joy of this simple unanimity, of oneness for its own sake. The Strokes made a natural object of this unanimity because their sound—derivative candy, 1970s punk simplicity dressed up with some 1990s indie-rock aloofness—was an easy common denominator. They were no Pixies, no Fugazi, no Joy Division, no band to which pledging allegiance implied the endorsement of a principle. They were, moreover, easily discarded, and the top-band mantle has been passed many times since then, in rapid succession—to equally derivative groups possessing the required sheen of sophistication, such as Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, Bloc Party, and, as of this writing, an outfit called Clap Your Hands Say Yeah."

Let's not have a debate about what hipsters are; that's been beat into the ground.

I like his diagram and I think it's fun to try and figure out where certain artists lie on it. Where does SY lie on the diagram? (I'm not asking about personal opinions, but rather where you think the general population of young in-the-knows (hipsters) would place SY.)

What about the people already on the diagram? I think that Wes Anderson, Sarah Vowell, and David Cross are all placed perfectly.

krastian 04.24.2006 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noumenal
Wasik states that the main force behind hipsterism is the "drive toward deindividulation."

Yuck.

!@#$%! 04.24.2006 01:14 AM

i don't know, but i fucking love miranda july. when i saw her i spontaneously blew her drunken kisses.

noumenal 04.24.2006 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian
Yuck.

OK, I thought about translating that part, but I left it for the sake of clarity and conciseness. Jesus, it's not that big of a word. It's a pretty standard term that psychologists and sociologists use.....

noumenal 04.24.2006 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i don't know, but i fucking love miranda july. when i saw her i spontaneously blew her drunken kisses.

So, your appreciation is pretty earnest then.:) Sounds like he did a good job.

krastian 04.24.2006 01:18 AM

I love her too.....she's hilarious.

noumenal 04.24.2006 01:19 AM

Is she not as "highbrow" as Sufjan Stevens? I've never heard or seen her before.

God, this shit is fun.

krastian 04.24.2006 01:21 AM

Quote:

OK, I thought about translating that part, but I left it for the sake of clarity and conciseness. Jesus, it's not that big of a word. It's a pretty standard term that psychologists and sociologists use.....

No crap! I'm talking about "deindividulization." Do you honestly think I'm that dumb?:D

!@#$%! 04.24.2006 01:22 AM

earnest indeed. i worship the ground she walks :D

and she might hang out with carrie brownstein but SHE'S NO HIPSTER!!

(is she a celebrity among hipsters though?)

the thing is-- she's just a damn good artist-- she's been around for years. she used to put together a "big miss moviola video chainletter" btw. my wife got one of her videos put in one of them. she's no hipster either :D

--

edit-- she's way more highbrow than any hippy :D -- she was featured in the whitney biennial 2002 exhibit-- that's an avant garde stronghold. she was an performance/video artist before her movie made her famous. so that man-- the chart maker-- must be a hipster himself :D

noumenal 04.24.2006 01:24 AM

Krastian: No, I just thought you were complaining about the way that part sounded. You know, sort of pretentious and goofy...like he was using bigger words than he needed to.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Anyway, were you just complaining about what he was saying?

noumenal 04.24.2006 01:25 AM

krastian 04.24.2006 01:27 AM

Quote:

Krastian: No, I just thought you were complaining about the way that part sounded. You know, sort of pretentious and goofy...like he was using bigger words than he needed to.

Sorry. Were you just complaining about what he was saying?

NOOOO!!!! Just deindividualization=fuck that!

noumenal 04.24.2006 01:33 AM

Ok, I'm being retarded.

You don't like the idea of losing your individuality. Yeah, I'm with you. Deindividuation is one way of explaining the terrible things that people do in large groups.

So, you can explain why people like shitty bands the same way you can explain the holocaust, roughly speaking.

krastian 04.24.2006 01:39 AM

Yeah that shit is the death of the soul......I'm getting deindividuation mixed up with deindividualization....I'm kind of drunk. Both are horrible.

noumenal 04.24.2006 01:41 AM

I wish I was drunk, but I'm depressingly sober. I don't really drink much, so it's no surprise that I'm not drunk... In fact, because of my insomnia and caffeine problem, I'm probably more alert at this time of day (1:40 AM) than any other time.

I'm making threads like this so that the homework I'm doing right now will take as long as possible.

!@#$%! 04.24.2006 01:43 AM

what about losing hair? that's even more terrible...

defolliclization? dethrixtization? eightballification?

krastian 04.24.2006 01:47 AM

Quote:

I'm making threads like this so that the homework I'm doing right now will take as long as possible.

Right on. You are working on yr Masters, right? Or is it yr doctorate? I think I remember you mentioning it on here. I think I'm done with school for now. I might go back a few years down the road....if the fuckers pay for it:D

noumenal 04.24.2006 01:47 AM

That made me think of the baby toupee fake commerical from SNL this season.

krastian 04.24.2006 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
eightballification?

Hey, don't tempt me.

noumenal 04.24.2006 01:52 AM

I'm working on my master's right now. The homework I'm doing right now is a stupid little assignment for a class called "Pedagogy of Music Theory." I'm making a 4-semester music theory curriculum and describing it week by week.

Yeah, you've got to get paid to do it. I got scholarships for my undergrad, but I had to take out some small loans. I'm taking out small loans now too. When I apply for my PhD, I'm expecting some really nice offers so I'll be paid to go. And from there on out, it's easy sailing. Of course, I'll never make much money and I'll be paying off loans for a few years after I get out.... I have friends that have to pay back law school loans. That is a bitch. One of them went to Vanderbilt Law and he'll be paying them back for a pretty long time.