Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Plot synopses. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=49)

jheii 03.21.2006 02:45 PM

Plot synopses.

Does anyone know anything about writing a plot synopsis, ie. what information is vital and what isn't. Should I describe all of the main characters, or just stick to things really basic? This is what I'm working with for my graphic novel proposal; tell me what you think. (The wording is a bit sloppy, I've just been throwing ideas together haphazardly.)

Starland is a semi-classical tragic plot that takes place in an imagined post-modern setting based on a historically revised version of the southern U.S.--specifically Savannah, GA. The main character, John Tollier, is a poet in search of truth. He lives in the Starland District, which serves as the almost-anarchic neutral zone between the two governments that control seperate halves of the City. He is kidnapped by slave traders who sell him to an oil company, and is forced to spend the rest of his life working on one of their freighters. It is the reader's job to figure out, as the story progresses, who amongst the group of businessmen, drug dealers, professional murderers, police officers, politicians, and petty criminals with whom he has regular dealings is responsible for getting rid of him and what their motives are in doing so.

spiritbears 03.21.2006 03:12 PM

Hey Jheii....
I think your plot synopsis looks fine..... I wouldn't expand on any minor characters...
I'm not that into graphic novels...but my daughter would enjoy this!

jheii 03.21.2006 03:15 PM

Thanks spiritbears. I'm not really into graphic novels either, but since its a chance for me to get paid for writing a story, I can get into them for the time being. :)

jheii 03.24.2006 07:15 PM

bump... still looking for advice on this.

krastian 03.24.2006 07:23 PM

I wouldn't worry about going into deep details about the characters, but focus on the most important things/events that happen in the novel or whatever you are reading.....ie focus on the most important changes the main characters go through and the things that they learn from their experience. Also, it helps to look at what you are reading in 3 parts such as begining/intro, climax (where the shit goes down), and end/resolution (what has happened and what has been learned). Hope this helps ya chief.

golden child 03.24.2006 10:55 PM

I just wrote a synopsis for julius caesar, i kinda just summerized what happed in each act in like a paragraph

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.24.2006 11:39 PM

that actaully sounds pretty interesting, man.

krastian 03.25.2006 01:04 AM

I hope to never have to write a paper again.....I'm really not trying to go to Grad School, but I might have to if I can't find a decent job.

jheii 03.25.2006 09:33 AM

Thanks, sheriff. Wow, never thought I'd put those two words together.

krastian 03.25.2006 02:05 PM

Did this help? Is this paper for a college class?