Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream & Hey Joni Harmonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14757)

tasteinmen 07.14.2007 05:38 PM

Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream & Hey Joni Harmonics

I've just been listening to Daydream Nation (I waited for the Delexe Edition before I bought it), and I've noticed the guitar harmonics from Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream are very similar to the harmonics in Hey Joni. Is it just me who thinks this?
I read somewhere that they deliberately started adding some of their old riffs in recent songs, I dunno if that is true though.

Danny Himself 07.14.2007 05:39 PM

I know what you mean, good listening.

tasteinmen 07.14.2007 05:45 PM

So it's not just me then :) sorry if this is old news, it's just I'm a pretty recent fan, and I love to talk about music lol.

greenlight 07.14.2007 06:19 PM

yeah, know what you mean. I found more moments like one you're saying. similar riffs or sounds in different songs.

_tunic_ 07.14.2007 06:33 PM

it's all one song

atsonicpark 07.14.2007 06:43 PM

you know, i've only listened to kim gordon and the arthur doyle hand cream once since it's so godawful, so i wouldn't know.

i do notice a lot of riffs on sonic nurse seem to reference rain on tin though. hmm..

val-holla-ing 07.14.2007 07:01 PM

same thing with a part from "rain on tin" and "hits of sunshine" and with "pattern recognition" and "trilogy: b) hyperstation". i like to think of it as little "i love you's" to the close listening fans.

greenlight 07.14.2007 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
you know, i've only listened to kim gordon and the arthur doyle hand cream once since it's so godawful, so i wouldn't know.

godawful? yeah right. it's probably because you heard it once. I thought the same: this song is shite, but after few listenings (especially live versions and i just didn't skip the song and was listening:) ), I found it as a really cool rock song. bit rough, allright. with this one thye really "had a fling" in sy style big time. didn't like this song, but not anymore. a bit of (how can I put it) heavy, dirty, off key rock song, which can entertain actually. i'd say many people share your opinion about this song tho.

atsonicpark 07.14.2007 08:12 PM

i like "off kilter rock songs" but kim's voice is terrible! and the lyrics are horrid. and the music is embarassing.

tasteinmen 07.14.2007 08:29 PM

I love Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream! It was the second song by SY that I became obsessed with! "Your bounce to the ounce makes us wanna pounce!" love it, then again when I bought Sonic Nurse and played it to my friend he looked disgusted, but then again he likes Garbage and Avril Lavigne.

deflinus 07.14.2007 09:38 PM

i love the harmonics on Hey Joni.

tasteinmen 07.14.2007 11:36 PM

So do I. It's very unique