Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   (actual) world cup thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40145)

demonrail666 06.17.2010 11:28 AM

Gutted for Nigeria. I missed the first half but the second had some classic end to end moments and you have to feel sorry for Nigeria's keeper. What happened with the sending off? I heard it mentioned by commentators, but didn't actually see it. Greece, though. I love the country, love the people, love the food, but I can't stand their football team, for some reason.

Argentina are clicking now, and what's even scarier is that Messi hasn't even started scoring yet. Tevez and Mascharano, though: love 'em; love 'em; love 'em! (and Tevez hasn't started scoring yet either). So long as whoever Argentina play promise not to attack them they look more like potential cup winners all the time.

wellcharge 06.17.2010 11:45 AM

i hope greece can get lucky and tie argentina and have nigeria beat korea

the ikara cult 06.17.2010 12:36 PM

Thank goodness i got home early to watch South Korea and Argentina, best game of the tournament so far.

I confidently predict England v Algeria tomorrow will be more boring than watching paint dry at the bottom of a mine shaft whilst listening to the complete works of Phil Collins, for three thousand years.

demonrail666 06.17.2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Thank goodness i got home early to watch South Korea and Argentina, best game of the tournament so far.

I confidently predict England v Algeria tomorrow will be more boring than watching paint dry at the bottom of a mine shaft whilst listening to the complete works of Phil Collins, for three thousand years.

Yeah, Argentina v S'th Korea was great. but i actually think the England - Algeria game could be awesome. England are now on the back foot and will have to go pretty much all out, especially if USA beats Slovenia - which I have to expect they will. If England don't score early I expect plenty of yellow cards as players like Rooney start to get wound up. I'm predicting either a goal or a card fest for England, depending on how things go early on.

pokkeherrie 06.17.2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you mean when they broke his mouth & he had to momentarily leave the field cuz he was bleeding, had to miss forlan's free kick (and a chance to score), & came back a bit later with a huge mouth-tampon? that was caused by a hard slap by a south-african. more of a clawing, actually.

it was a verifiable foul (hit on the shoe in mid-air) by the last defender in order to avoid a goal (the goalee wasn't even near the ball when he swept him), and inside the penalty area. so yeah, it was a penalty, and it was a red card, and if suarez had to flail a little extra to make sure the ref didn't miss that one, more power to him. he played to win. the bonehead move would be to try to be "discreet" about it.

Hey look, don't expect me to be reasonable and fair towards Suarez. I've seen him dive dozens of times before in the last few years and on top of that he plays for Ajax.
In other words, as long as he doesn't fracture his skull or has some teeth knocked out then it's a clear dive in my book.

I'd like to see Argentina go far. It'll be interesting to see how well they can do against stronger opposition after the group stages. On paper they have probably the strongest attack of all teams in the tournament, but they give away too much at the back. Demichelis looks weak, just like he did with Bayern Munich all season.

!@#$%! 06.17.2010 01:29 PM

Benito Juarez >>> Maximilian!!!!!!!!!!

SonicBebs 06.17.2010 01:32 PM

the red card was daft. i missed it live but the replay showed the ball go out for a throw, both players went to pick it up and the Nigerian kicked out at the Greek. Pointless and daft and a definate red

the ikara cult 06.17.2010 02:21 PM

Im enjoying Roy Hodgson on BBC's coverage tonight, lookin like yoda at a village fete.

Does anyone else really want to throttle Clarence Seedorf? The combination of him and Alan Shearer is doing my head in

!@#$%! 06.17.2010 02:22 PM

those tiny mexicans are playing with balls of steel!!!

a pity vela got hurt.

best sign on the bleachers:

"pinche henry, es futbol no volleyball" (fucking henry... etc.)

gualbert 06.17.2010 02:28 PM

France blows.
I hope they lose if they keep playing that way.

demonrail666 06.17.2010 02:30 PM

Mexico are owning France. That they're not ahead is amazing. If France hit them with a sucker punch in the second half it'll be a travesty. They're appalling!

I'm loving the Mexico right now. If only their strip looked like this, though:

demonrail666 06.17.2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Im enjoying Roy Hodgson on BBC's coverage tonight, lookin like yoda at a village fete.

Hahaha. Totally! Hodgson's classic. wish the BBC would use him more. I sort of imagine him having a doze during the game and then being woken up in time for his comments.

the ikara cult 06.17.2010 02:45 PM

you must agree with me about Seedorf and Shearer though?
Theyre like the two most insufferable nightclub bouncers in history

the ikara cult 06.17.2010 02:52 PM

France 0 - 1 - Mexico

come on the Mexicans!

demonrail666 06.17.2010 03:02 PM

This is tense as fuck. I so want Mexico to win!

!@#$%! 06.17.2010 03:06 PM

2-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the ikara cult 06.17.2010 03:08 PM

wahay!

France 0 - 2 Mexico

The player who just scored against France is 37 years old, Zidane aint much older than that

pokkeherrie 06.17.2010 03:12 PM

Au revoir, Les Bleus!
(we can be certain Mexico vs Uruguay will be a draw)

P.S. Don't forget to fire Domenech this time.

Rob Instigator 06.17.2010 03:14 PM

wow. If Mexico goes on to win, that is what, 4 points for them, 4 points for Uruguay, 1 for France, and 1 for South Africa huh?

Is that right?
That Mexico Uruguay match is gonna be something else!

wellcharge 06.17.2010 03:14 PM

my hopes for france are dead, i wanted them to win. unless greece or serbia work some magic(lol) i guess i want brasil or argentina to win now

ps. that's a big if rob, i've never seen a team go on to win when they have a 2 goal lead in the 88th minute