Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Byron Coley to pen the authorized bio of SY? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=90992)

pantophobia 04.25.2013 12:50 PM

Byron Coley to pen the authorized bio of SY?

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?showall=true&bookm arkedmessageid=4280804&boardid=41&threadid=1251

Byron C. told me he was gonna be writing the authorized SY bio. that's the only new SY info I have to share. should be interesting!

― scott seward, Monday, 22 April 2013 23:17 (3 days ago)

I always thought Byron should write a book on them, Seward by the way used to write for the Village Voice for a number of years

halgreen 04.25.2013 12:59 PM

Perfect choice! Can't wait for this and Kim's book.

EVOLghost 04.25.2013 06:44 PM

Cool!

jennthebenn 04.25.2013 08:11 PM

Great news indeed.

Byron Coley, Robert Palmer and David Browne were really the only critics I ever read that consistently wrote well on SY.

sergisonic 04.28.2013 05:18 AM

Spanish journalist Ignacio Julią is a good one, too.

narlus 04.29.2013 08:37 AM

i would love for Byron to issue a ton of his writings via anthologies. C'est La Guerre was really good.

Gerrystumbaugh 05.01.2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narlus
i would love for Byron to issue a ton of his writings via anthologies. C'est La Guerre was really good.

i missed that somehow!

looks like I have a book to order.

Toilet & Bowels 06.18.2013 03:43 AM

I'm reading the Browne book at the moment, it's been years (like 16 or 17 years) since I read the Foege book but so far I'm not getting that much difference between the two, other than Browne going on about how focused and hip SY are and then glossing over events. I guess there are only so many ways to tell a story. I'm interested to see what BC can add that these two books don't have.

Toilet & Bowels 06.18.2013 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Browne going on about how focused and hip SY are and then glossing over events.

Obviously I find this compulsively readable though

Chris Lawrence 06.18.2013 05:47 AM

I found Goodbye 20th Century quite revelatory in ways that Confusion is Next was not. I enjoyed CIN at the time, but it seemed to dash towards the finish line and gloss over the last few years it covers, where-as G20C goes into extensive detail on the mid-late 90s, which I found fascinating. The fact that G20C covers 12+ years after CIN should be difference enough!

Browne seemed to get some pretty interesting, honest responses from the band and their associates. Obviously Coley has a different relationship with the band, so I'm sure he'd get a unique angle. I enjoy his SY writings when he tones it down (Dirty liners, for example). I'm always happy to get more information, so I hope this is true...

Toilet & Bowels 06.18.2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
I found Goodbye 20th Century quite revelatory in ways that Confusion is Next was not. I enjoyed CIN at the time, but it seemed to dash towards the finish line and gloss over the last few years it covers, where-as G20C goes into extensive detail on the mid-late 90s, which I found fascinating. The fact that G20C covers 12+ years after CIN should be difference enough!

Browne seemed to get some pretty interesting, honest responses from the band and their associates. Obviously Coley has a different relationship with the band, so I'm sure he'd get a unique angle. I enjoy his SY writings when he tones it down (Dirty liners, for example). I'm always happy to get more information, so I hope this is true...

Yeah, I'm just getting up to Dirty and at this point it does go into more depth than CIS, I guess maybe at the time of CIS they were not able to talk as freely about their experiences at Geffen as they could with GB20C.

I wonder given Coley's closeness to SY how much he'll be able to write about the band's demise, particularly in light of recent events.

noisereductions 06.21.2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

I agree w/ CL on this. I read CIN so many times when I was younger. But I def felt I got more out of G20C. I remember making all these little notes of shit to research. Just things mentioned like about their proposed piano album for instance. Or I loved the section where it really went into details of Walls Have Ears. Stuff like that which just might have been too small a detail for a wider audience but the kind of stuff I'd obsess over just being mentioned.