Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   to tell the truth: i am so in love with rather ripped!!! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1467)

max 05.02.2006 10:06 PM

to tell the truth: i am so in love with rather ripped!!!

ok, yes, i've got RATHER RIPPED.

i want to be 100% honest: this album showcases EVERYTHING i've ever loved about SONIC YOUTH. i've waited for a while to post this impression becuz i really wanted to explore the album.

in my humble opinion it features a band at the top of their creative climax.

Steve's drumming really shines throughout the songs, it's just wonderful. i really am in love with his drumming skills.

the production is just FLAWLESS, everything sounds just RIGHT and TIGHT.

the vocals in the band never sounded so good.

i am really glad that they got to make an album like this. i've always liked all of their efforts a lot, but the song structures and the whole sound on RR are just perfect, the balance bewteen the tracks is just incredible.

i will buy this album the very minute it will come out in italy, two copies.
one for me, and one for the girl who i love.

i dunno if she knows about SY but i do know that she will appreciate it.

thank you sonic youngsters, i will make everything possible to come and see this tour and sing out loud with you.

ciao!

selkcip 05.02.2006 10:13 PM

steve's drumming could improve. his signature, straight-ahead galloping is somewhat vacant-sounding. the album is too short, but pretty

schizophrenicroom 05.02.2006 10:45 PM

cool

Everyneurotic 05.02.2006 10:46 PM

to tell you the truth: i haven't heard it yet

soniknirve 05.03.2006 12:14 AM

i've heard the new songs from the shows they played in france. lights out is great and the lone lee track, Rats, is awesome! Kegmama are you avoiding the live versions too?

Andrés 05.03.2006 12:33 AM

Jam Runs Free says it all! ;)

soniknirve 05.03.2006 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama
Ummm... Well... LIVE?! I never promised myself anything against live, I was just trying to hold out for the whole listening experience with the new album in hand thing... Why? You have something live to share?! PM me dude. ;)

lol. the power of the bootleg compels you. the power of the bootleg compels you (pm you soon)...

SonikJesus 05.03.2006 12:40 AM

I have the live show too. Pinks Steam and Incinerate kick ass.

max 05.03.2006 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selkcip
steve's drumming could improve. his signature, straight-ahead galloping is somewhat vacant-sounding. the album is too short, but pretty

you sir, should just take a breath and listen to the whole thing again. His style is just what the album needs, it fits the mood perfectly. of course you're just expressing your opinion but really i can't understand it. he nailed the perfect lines for this effort. everything is done the proper way, his use of cymbals won't ever stop to amaze me.

Inhuman 05.03.2006 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max
in my humble opinion it features a band at the top of their creative climax.

Hmm, In my opinion the top of their climax was when Whitey Album and Confusion is Sex was released. That's when the drumming was my favorite as well

screamingskull 05.03.2006 08:46 AM

i still havent heard it yet, its very tempting though.

woah, what just happened?, i went from a 'bad moon rising' to a 'children of satan'.

whorefrost 05.03.2006 08:50 AM

jams run free is quite nice... pink steam as well is quite catchy... all in all its a straight up rock record and if you've come to expect something deeper from SY you will be a bit disappointed... but it's good for what it is...

kingcoffee 05.03.2006 09:45 AM

Just give in! Download the new album and then buy it when it is released. Don't be so uptight.

kingcoffee 05.03.2006 09:46 AM

Besides, the new album is pretty good. Not Sonic Nurse good. But good none the less.

greenlight 05.03.2006 12:32 PM

cool. cant wait.

come across RR on one of torrent sites, but i didn´t dl it, going to wait. i have them two french shows keep me happy till then.

kenning 05.03.2006 02:39 PM

steve could "improve"? hogwash!

Steve's drumming is incredibly inventive, given the idiom he's working with. And this idiom changes. The freer stuff (any of the SYR releases, the soundtrack stuff from Murray Street period, etc etc) gives him the opportunity to expand and I'd say he's at least on par with any percussionist in that realm (Gerry Hemingway, anyone Braxton's worked with, etc.). As a pop / rock drummer, he's a longtime favorite. I don't think his signature work is very straight-ahead. Put him up against Murph of Dinosaur Jr., or Dave Grohl's predictible triplets, or whatever. He really plays for the song and has an ear for tone that it is nearly as evident as the guitar work in the band. Few drummers know how to exploit this as Steve does, and even fewer listeners know how to hear it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by selkcip

holy-reverb!! 05.03.2006 03:30 PM

havnt heard it yet. i cant wait.

selkcip 05.03.2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenning
Steve's drumming is incredibly inventive, given the idiom he's working with. And this idiom changes. The freer stuff (any of the SYR releases, the soundtrack stuff from Murray Street period, etc etc) gives him the opportunity to expand and I'd say he's at least on par with any percussionist in that realm (Gerry Hemingway, anyone Braxton's worked with, etc.). As a pop / rock drummer, he's a longtime favorite. I don't think his signature work is very straight-ahead. Put him up against Murph of Dinosaur Jr., or Dave Grohl's predictible triplets, or whatever. He really plays for the song and has an ear for tone that it is nearly as evident as the guitar work in the band. Few drummers know how to exploit this as Steve does, and even fewer listeners know how to hear it.

it was a lazy comment, i've come to recognize that his drumming is more than sufficient (appropriate) for sy's more straight-ahead, metronomic material. i like some of the dryer (minimal cymbals) beats he's got on RR. i guess it's that he's got this gallop at times that seems auto-pilotish, with a cymbal splash every couple bars or so (they seem unneccessary, but obligatory?) the drumming on incinerate does remind me of old dino jr., and feels just as agile. pretty cool record, RR

SubSonicPumpAction 05.03.2006 05:13 PM

I think Thurston's songs aren't as good as Lee and Kim's. Kim's songs are the best on this record.

s

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 05.03.2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubSonicPumpAction
I think Thurston's songs aren't as good as Lee and Kim's. Kim's songs are the best on this record.

s

Yes.

I'm glad for the slight change in direction on this album. I started getting tired of that niche they had formed for themselves over the past couple of albums.