Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ween is no More (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=78580)

TheMadcapLaughs 06.07.2012 11:42 PM

where'd the mutherfuckin' ween go???

EVOLghost 06.08.2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Yeah, don't forget about me!!!!!!!!! ;)

This is totally heartbreaking. Another all-time favorite band ever, dead in the '10s. This is suck ass!! I'm really bummed- another band that I thought I could count on forever, however unreasonable that may be, suddenly gone. Fuck

Fucki'n world is ending maaan.

Genteel Death 06.08.2012 03:54 AM

I wouldn't even be able to type this, such is the unparalleled pain the news of their split caused me, if my hands weren't being lifted by cranes I keep hidden under my bed.

louder 06.08.2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Yeah, don't forget about me!!!!!!!!! ;)

This is totally heartbreaking. Another all-time favorite band ever, dead in the '10s. This is suck ass!! I'm really bummed- another band that I thought I could count on forever, however unreasonable that may be, suddenly gone. Fuck

woah, really? "Ween" are gone?.. did they ever exist?

Severian 06.08.2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
woah, really? "Ween" are gone?.. did they ever exist?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ween

So I looked into this, and it turns out that they did. But you had me scared there for a second.

truncated 06.10.2012 02:33 PM

They stood out to me as being utterly unremarkably eccentric. They were almost funny until, well, they weren't. Were they satirical? Tongue-in-cheek? Underappreciated ecclectics? Or simply shit? Oh, the endless debate of art.

Good riddance.

noisereductions 06.10.2012 04:23 PM

sucks. But I thought it was coming. Had been so quiet from them the last few years.

tesla69 06.14.2012 09:01 AM

GodWeenSatan: The Oneness is still a pretty great rock album, and their cover of Captain Fantasy is perfect. They kind of lost me after the 3rd record..

Pookie 06.14.2012 09:52 AM

Shouldn't it be Ween ARE no more?

Genteel Death 06.14.2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie

Genteel Death 06.14.2012 10:08 AM

The more I think about it the more I don't remember ever meeting a person who liked or disliked Ween or even mentioned their name, good band or not. The same is true for They Might Be Giants.

Genteel Death 06.14.2012 10:14 AM

By the way, They Might Be Giants are shit too, in case you were wondering what I thought about them.

demonrail666 06.14.2012 10:29 AM

For years I got Ween confused with Bongwater. I've no idea how except I don't like either.

E. Noisefield 06.14.2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie

No, it's is. "Ween" is the name of a collective, true, but the word itself is singular. It's a collective noun, so you say is/was instead of are/were.

Many people get this wrong, or trick themselves into thinking it's the other way around, but "Ween is/was a '90s alternative rock band" (for example) is the proper way, though I admit it doesn't quite sound right in some cases.

If you're talking about a band name that is a plural noun, such as "The Beatles," you would say "The Beatles are/were a rock and roll band." But for bands like Ween, Nirvana, Led Zep, and Sonic Youth, the band names are collective singular nouns.

... I think? :confused: ;)

Genteel Death 06.14.2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
For years I got Ween confused with Bongwater. I've no idea how except I don't like either.

It's been years that I haven't heard a Bongwater song and forgot what they sound like. Is this a sign that I finally reached mental bliss or I'm simply unaware of dementia seeping in?