Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

louder 07.18.2016 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
New Danny Brown LP named after Joy Division song! (Or the book the song was named after... But probably the song.)

http://pitchfork.com/news/66881-dann...ty-exhibition/

Yeah that's cool. Hope we'll get to hear it soon.

noisereductions 07.18.2016 01:49 PM

y'all haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate

Severian 07.18.2016 06:31 PM

Dude, we're not taking about her music. We're talking about her crazy spoiled manipulative childish upper class white girl Abercrombie model ass!

Severian 07.18.2016 06:48 PM

What's really kind of fucked is that, although Kanye's been an enormous asshole and douche bag publically on multiple occasions, it's like... this really does not feel like a "Kanye problem" at all.

I know attitudes toward Yr on SYG and in the public have waned, but really, if we're going to talk about this let's call it like it is.

Kanye got her permission (which he didn't need) and she said she'd shove it in the media's fave when they inevitably asked her about it
Kanye debuted the song
Kanye caught a ton of shit, and said, truthfully, that Taylor had signed off on the lyric
Taylor (via spokesperson) lied and said nothing of the sort happened
Kanye caught hell from feminists on social media like that mediocre Australian chick from Orange is the New Black, and others
Months went by
Taylor made veiled references to the lyric at the Grammys
Taylor's brother rushed to her defense
Kanye was drilled, and again said "dude, I talked to her, she was on board"
More shit, more shit
MONTHS later, Kim says she has proof of the phone call on video
The Taylor Camp continues to deny it exists
Then, another month plus later, Kim finally posts the video
Taylor is revealed to have lied - for what fucking reason, by the way?
Taylor proceeds to get mad at Kanye very publically and act like a victim

That's the story. He could have made this public on February 13. He gave her ample time to either tell the truth or at least stop bitching. They said they had a video, nothing changed.
What the fuck did Taylor expect exactly? Wait. I know this. She expected to have the privilege of being an asshole and a liar and a victim all at once, without ever being questioned, and now she expects people to buy her bullshit excuse for why the phone call wasn't legit.

... Because she's a privileged white girl who is used to getting anything and everything she wants.

It's just fucking madness. She wants to both engage in celebrity "shade-throwing" and also be above it. She was caught doing and little hustle for whatever reason, and she can't just take her medicine and be like, yeah, I lied. I shouldn't have. Moving on.

noisereductions 07.18.2016 08:33 PM

Quote:

Dude, we're not taking about her music. We're talking about her crazy spoiled manipulative childish upper class white girl Abercrombie model ass!

I know. I hate when we talk about kanye being crazy too tho.

Severian 07.18.2016 08:36 PM

... And now she's suing Kanye West for recording a phone call (pretty universally illegal without consent).

However, the call was filmed by West's videographer to document the album making process. So... stupid.

He probably should have just said, "yo I'm filming this, FYI," and she probably would have said it was fine at the time. But hey, he probably wanted her to sue him. He *literally* begged for it upon the video's release.

Anyway, it's odd that Taylor threatened legal action about recording the call back in March. Then claimed there was no video.

Whatever. It's just a bummer that this is what "Famous" is going to be remembered for.

noisereductions 07.18.2016 08:45 PM

I agree with all that yeah

well it'll prob be remembered for the video too

Severian 07.18.2016 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I agree with all that yeah

well it'll prob be remembered for the video too

Ah that's even worse. Not that I've seen it. I've just seen stills. But I strongly believe that I'm better off not watching videos unless they're unanimously declared baller as hell by everyone whose opinion I value. The imagery that comes into my head when I'm listening to the song is always better.

Videos can ruin music. And I certainly don't think a nude Donald Trump is going to make me like famous MORE. Fuck that noise.

Severian 07.18.2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I know. I hate when we talk about kanye being crazy too tho.

Me too :(

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.19.2016 01:23 AM

the rhetoric at the RNCinCle made me have to put on some dead prez

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.19.2016 01:28 AM

Quote:

Severian 07.19.2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
the rhetoric at the RNCinCle made me have to put on some dead prez

I heard the house band played "Station to Station" by David Bowie. Was the band full of subversive liberals trying to get in a subliminal about Nazi Germany? That's the first thought I had when I read that. Hilarious.

Severian 07.19.2016 08:57 AM

Quote:

Hah.

Well, it's not like I relish this shit. The fact that Kanye's on the butt end of this ass-fucking doesn't help, but I think this actually kind of speaks volumes about celebrity identity and race. Black celebs act crazy, they're labeled crazy and are expected to apologize. White bitches act crazy, they expect a pay-day, and for the world to apologize to them.

"Character assassination" my ass. Nobody in the entertainment world knows more about that shit than one Mr. West. Love him or hate him, this is the truth about white fear of black influence.

"White-a white-a white America / assassinate my character / money, matrimony now they wanna to break this marriage up" -- Kanye West, "Who Gon Stop Me"

Severian 07.19.2016 10:11 AM

I guess Marvel's doing more hip-hop variant covers. Not sure how up to date this is, but I just read about it.

I poured through them looking for good ones, and found a couple that are pretty dope:

(Spider-Man/CRUEL SUMMER)

(Captain America & Falcon, Avengers Standoff / STANKONIA)

(Black Panther / THE BLACK ALBUM)

Severian 07.19.2016 10:13 AM

That Cap one has to be the best of the bunch. Blends both the comic and the album seamlessly, making both look totally kickass. Makes me want to do exactly what it should make me want to do: read Cap and listen to OutKast.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.19.2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Hah.

Well, it's not like I relish this shit. The fact that Kanye's on the butt end of this ass-fucking doesn't help, but I think this actually kind of speaks volumes about celebrity identity and race. Black celebs act crazy, they're labeled crazy and are expected to apologize. White bitches act crazy, they expect a pay-day, and for the world to apologize to them.

"Character assassination" my ass. Nobody in the entertainment world knows more about that shit than one Mr. West. Love him or hate him, this is the truth about white fear of black influence.

"White-a white-a white America / assassinate my character / money, matrimony now they wanna to break this marriage up" -- Kanye West, "Who Gon Stop Me"

im sorry bruh its not racism, no black man has been more accepted and embraced by mainstream media and white america in many years than Kanye West.

Rob Instigator 07.19.2016 02:55 PM

It is called "Taylor plays the game, and Kanye does not"

Severian 07.19.2016 04:46 PM

Quote:

im sorry bruh its not racism, no black man has been more accepted and embraced by mainstream media and white america in many years than Kanye West.

Yeah, that's true enough I suppose. I was gonna argue with you, and cite all the "haters" out there, but I can't think of anyone else who's been quite as lauded, even with all the hatred taken into account.

Maybe Obama. Probably not.

But even if it's not a "Kanye" thing, it doesn't mean there isn't a racist sentiment behind the entitlement felt by Swift, and her presumption that she will be believed to be the victim, regardless of what the facts may be.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.19.2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

But even if it's not a "Kanye" thing, it doesn't mean there isn't a racist sentiment behind the entitlement felt by Swift, and her presumption that she will be believed to be the victim, regardless of what the facts may be.

Maybe.. and maybe you are reading way to into this.

Kanye knew he was trolling her with the lyric, knew he was trolling her even harder by calling her, knew what she was saying in that video recorded conversation was pure platitude and not likely "legally binding" when lawyers get involved, was so boring that Rick Rubin was taking a nap in the background like the guy on the couch in Half Baked, somehow has been instigated by Kim Kardashian who is a known media pariah...

(yes I watched the video)

sounds to me like this is a bunch of TMZ drama and frankly that an artist you respect and admire is entangled in it all should kind of embarrass you at least a slight bit que no?

The whole things screams "MIDDLE SCHOOL BULLSHIT"

Severian 07.19.2016 10:09 PM

Quote:

Maybe.. and maybe you are reading way to into this.

Kanye knew he was trolling her with the lyric, knew he was trolling her even harder by calling her, knew what she was saying in that video recorded conversation was pure platitude and not likely "legally binding" when lawyers get involved, was so boring that Rick Rubin was taking a nap in the background like the guy on the couch in Half Baked, somehow has been instigated by Kim Kardashian who is a known media pariah...

(yes I watched the video)

sounds to me like this is a bunch of TMZ drama and frankly that an artist you respect and admire is entangled in it all should kind of embarrass you at least a slight bit que no?

The whole things screams "MIDDLE SCHOOL BULLSHIT"

Yeah, it's embarrassing. But I rarely invest any time or energy into these things, and I steer pretty clear of Kanye's celebrity shenanigans. It distracts me from the music, and interrupts the purity of the relationship I've established with that music. So whatever happens, it's whatever.

I haven't watched the video, btw.