Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pseudoscience Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=34952)

SONIC GAIL 09.29.2009 10:24 AM

Pseudoscience Thread

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoscience

Please share your thoughts and opinions:)

notyourfiend 09.29.2009 10:26 AM

psychology.

girlgun 09.29.2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notyourfiend
psychology.

yeah except that little part where physiological factors cause psychological reactions.

so whatevs.

pbradley 09.29.2009 10:28 AM

Where's davenotdead with the wicked fresh homeopathy tip?

SONIC GAIL 09.29.2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlgun
yeah except that little part where physiological factors cause psychological reactions.

so whatevs.

True..gg...crazy people kill others sometimes

pbradley 09.29.2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notyourfiend
psychology.

Kind of a necessary pseudoscience, I think. It certainly isn't easy straddling that mind-body line.

SONIC GAIL 09.29.2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Kind of a necessary pseudoscience, I think. It certainly isn't easy straddling that mind-body line.

It's necessary, I would go nuts without help. But I'm nuts with help too...just a little less.

girlgun 09.29.2009 10:35 AM

it's not even a pseudoscience. there are theories that are stupid as shit and antiquated, but there are many that are not. pavlov for instance, and his behaviorism. a theory proven through scientific process.

does anyone want to deny the existence of depression? what about post-traumatic stress disorder?

SONIC GAIL 09.29.2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

it's not even a pseudoscience. there are theories that are stupid as shit and antiquated, but there are many that are not. pavlov for instance, and his behaviorism. a theory proven through scientific process.

does anyone want to deny the existence of depression? what about post-traumatic stress disorder?

I love that spitting dog

girlgun 09.29.2009 10:37 AM

hell... does anyone have a cat that had canned cat food one time EVER and still comes running every time you use the can opener?

Rob Instigator 09.29.2009 10:44 AM

some say those are better handled through psychiatry, and not psychology.

SONIC GAIL 09.29.2009 10:45 AM

They affect both

pbradley 09.29.2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Are you saying that all theories that cannot be scientifically proven are stupid as shit?

I think a big problem with psychology as a science is that much of the phenomena with which psychology deals with is too dense and diverse to be assailed through a scientific method. That doesn't mean that the phenomena is false. The mind is grounded in physiology but it is influenced by social factors, as well.

Also behaviorism is what made me leave psychology as a major.

girlgun 09.29.2009 10:57 AM

Not a big fan of psychiatry. Modern psychiatry is nearly all medication based. Psychologists are the ones that do the research.

No pbradley. Not at all what I'm saying. But a lot of early modern psychology is stupid, ie Freud, but there were some peripheral benefits to all that jazz.

girlgun 09.29.2009 11:00 AM

I hate psych. Went to grad school for physiological psych. Have bachelors in general. Doesn't mean I think it's a pseudoscience. I feel informed enough to make that call.

floatingslowly 09.29.2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

hell... does anyone have a cat that had canned cat food one time EVER and still comes running every time you use the can opener?

what about a cat that wakes you up one minute before the alarm
goes off...every fuckig day.

he's using pseudoscience imo.

Rob Instigator 09.29.2009 11:01 AM

psychiatry and neurology are working hard.

pseudoscience can be defined as scientific sounding statements that are not falsifiable by experiment.

science is mainly concerned with statements/ideas that can be disproved.

a statement like water will not freeze at 32 degrees fahrenheit if it contains salt can be tested and wither provemn false, or not. if not, that does not mean it si proven TRUE. it just means that, for now, it is a valid statement.
sometime in the future someone could devise an experiment that does indeed show that salted water can freeze at 32 degrees,.

pseudoscience howveer, makes claims that are not experimentally falsifiable.
so does religion.

saying that the blinking light you saw in the sky is a craft with beings from a planet 60 light years away cannot be tested. it is unfalsifieble.

pbradley 09.29.2009 11:02 AM

Well, like I said, psychology straddles the line and to lean too heavily on one side threatens to dismiss the other.

And I guess "psuedoscience" isn't what I mean. More like quasi-science.

girlgun 09.29.2009 11:04 AM

Under those criteria, rob, all sciences are pseudoscience.

Pbradley is spot on.

pbradley 09.29.2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
psychiatry and neurology are working hard.

pseudoscience can be defined as scientific sounding statements that are not falsifiable by experiment.

science is mainly concerned with statements/ideas that can be disproved.

a statement like water will not freeze at 32 degrees fahrenheit if it contains salt can be tested and wither provemn false, or not. if not, that does not mean it si proven TRUE. it just means that, for now, it is a valid statement.
sometime in the future someone could devise an experiment that does indeed show that salted water can freeze at 32 degrees,.

pseudoscience howveer, makes claims that are not experimentally falsifiable.
so does religion.

saying that the blinking light you saw in the sky is a craft with beings from a planet 60 light years away cannot be tested. it is unfalsifieble.

Why thank you for the insight, Karl Popper Instigator.