Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Flaming Lips "Borderline" = amazing! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30083)

pbradley 04.06.2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Jesus Egg = Priest Driven Ambulance, son. (plus Mushroom Tapes, yo).

Yeah, it's the reissue. Why do you think I didn't know this?

noisereductions 04.06.2009 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Yeah, it's the reissue. Why do you think I didn't know this?

I didnt think YOU didn't know it. I was clarifying for the ppl who were asking about them b/c they were not familiar with them. That's all, sir.

PRIEST is great, but I didnt get the reissue. How is the MUSHROOM TAPES anyway??

StevOK 04.06.2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
PRIEST is great, but I didnt get the reissue. How is the MUSHROOM TAPES anyway??

Well, it's like this: if at any point you should ever find yourself to be under the influence of mushrooms, do not, I repeat DO NOT under any circumstances make tapes.

noisereductions 04.07.2009 07:04 AM

hahaha

floatingslowly 04.07.2009 10:53 AM

rage.

afterthefact 04.07.2009 11:04 AM

If you aren't a fan now, see them live; you will be.

I saw them with Sonic Youth about 3 years ago with some friends from Lexington. Two of the guys were only there for SY, and they couldn't have cared less for Flaming Lips. 5 minutes into the FL set and they were jumping around with their arms in the air like excited little school girls at a Jonas Brothers concert.

noisereductions 04.07.2009 11:28 AM

yeh, their live show is one of the best I've ever witnessed.

RanaldoNecro 04.07.2009 11:33 AM

It seems the spontaneity is what gets fans. Or maybe they really like their audience.

Where should I continue in their work?

floatingslowly 04.07.2009 11:37 AM

loud noises.

afterthefact 04.07.2009 11:44 AM

I did notice that when I saw the Cochella (sp?) DVD that their set was exactly like the one I saw.

But I am curious of what you say about seeing things that "ain't pretty" behind "the wizard's curtain." What exactly went on back there?

RanaldoNecro 04.07.2009 11:46 AM

Wow, that is intimate being a Santa and all.
When anyone reaches that high they are bound to fall. At least they are not safe..

RanaldoNecro 04.07.2009 11:47 AM

about seeing things that "ain't pretty" behind "the wizard's curtain." What exactly went on back there?

x2

floatingslowly 04.07.2009 12:00 PM

afterthefact 04.07.2009 12:02 PM

Yeah, I kinda got that part.

I just didn't know like if they were jerks backstage and yelled at you for not keeping your beard straight or something like that.

Also, I just watched the video. AMAZING. God, I can't stop listening to it. It's a combination of one of my favorite bands now and a song that would probably be on the soundtrack of my childhood.

RanaldoNecro 04.07.2009 12:18 PM

floatingslowly,

smoke and mirrors do not confer greatness.

There is an art in appearance. Appearances are necessary for many reasons as well. Are they eating animals back there?

Its all good. I won't call Wayne Coyne to fix my car...

noisereductions 04.07.2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
Also, I just watched the video. AMAZING. God, I can't stop listening to it. It's a combination of one of my favorite bands now and a song that would probably be on the soundtrack of my childhood.

samesies.

floatingslowly 04.07.2009 06:19 PM

don't worry, the robots will remember you (remember, and grind their shiney grabber-claws in hateful anger).

Ronald Jones is gawd.

noisereductions 04.07.2009 06:26 PM

Drozd is a musical genius. He's incredible.

ZEROpumpkins 04.07.2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe11121
I've never listened to them. I listened to bit and pieces of this. It sounds alright. Any recomendations, best album, ep, etc?

Buy Clouds Taste Metallic, Transmissions From the Satellite Heart then work backwards through their catalogue, ignoring their 80's stuff. Don't go for Soft Bulletin unless you're expecting something really pretentious, because otherwise you might go into it thinking "this is going to be rocking" and realise it is just lazy electronic mush. I agree with FS in that they were no longer as good after Ronald Jones left.

noisereductions 04.07.2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
it is just lazy electronic mush.

I really disagree. Wow.