Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Obama Running for President (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9898)

SynthethicalY 01.16.2007 03:01 PM

Obama Running for President

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070116/...l_pr/obama2008

Hip Priest 01.16.2007 03:13 PM

American politicians have much better names than UK ones. You have people like Barack Obama, Xavier Becerra, Rahm Emanuel and Scooter Libby. The only mad name we have is Lembit Opik, which to be fair is impressively mad, it has to be said. But you guys have loads of them.

It's not fair.

SynthethicalY 01.16.2007 03:14 PM

Yeah, we are a crazy bunch.

Hip Priest 01.16.2007 03:16 PM

Raul Grijalva.

Fortney Stark

You even have one called Zachary T Space.

IT'S NOT FAIR.

noumenal 01.16.2007 03:26 PM

There was a guy named Dick Mountjoy who ran again Diane Feinstein in last year's midterm elections.

jon boy 01.16.2007 03:34 PM

people probably only voted for them because of their names.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.16.2007 03:34 PM

It's gonna be John Edwards (D) vs. John McCain (R) I think.

As cool of a guy as Barrack is, I think democrats know they aren't gonna get in office with a guy like him.

John McCain is banking on the new plan for Iraq (implying this one might be decent) if the war in Iraq improves because of the plan, he can point to that in 2008.

atari 2600 01.16.2007 03:39 PM

It's too bad Mark Warner has acne scars.

More directly on the topic subject, it's too bad that Barack's last name is "Obama." He hasn't got a chance in hell.

Hip Priest 01.16.2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
It's gonna be John Edwards (D) vs. John McCain (R) I think...

Given some of the potential names, that would be a dissappointing contest.

Surely the electorate would be more roused by a clash between Earl Blumenauer and Lincoln Diaz-Balart?

Hip Priest 01.16.2007 03:44 PM

I saw some guy called Huckabee being interviewed last week. Is he as OK as he seemed on the interview?

SynthethicalY 01.16.2007 03:46 PM

I think Barack would be a great president, but since he is black he has to work twice as hard.

Пятхъдесят Шест 01.16.2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest
I saw some guy called Huckabee being interviewed last week. Is he as OK as he seemed on the interview?

A so-called "moderate". Eh, there are for sure worse people in the world, but also much better, especially when we're talking about the state of Arkansas.

Hip Priest 01.16.2007 03:58 PM

Thanks. He talked some sense, I have to say. He has a new book out, I seem to recall.

val-holla-ing 01.16.2007 04:52 PM

barack really isn't ready to run. if he is able to, though, i'll vote for him and hope that they don't kill shoot him in the head, too.

SynthethicalY 01.16.2007 04:58 PM

Oh don't be so pessimistic. I think he is ready, if not now when? I don't see any other capable person to run for president on the democratic side. Sorry but this is as close as we are going to get with a good candidate. So let's use him.

Silent Dan Speaks 01.16.2007 05:50 PM

From what I've heard about Obama, he sounds like a great candidate.

Unfortunately, with a name like Obama, I'm not sure he'll get elected.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.16.2007 08:56 PM

There's a little something more than his last name preventing him from becoming president.

There is this thing prevalent in most US states.

I'll give you a hint- it is 2 syllables, it starts with R, and it ends with M.

val-holla-ing 01.17.2007 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
Oh don't be so pessimistic. I think he is ready, if not now when? I don't see any other capable person to run for president on the democratic side. Sorry but this is as close as we are going to get with a good candidate. So let's use him.

i'm not being pessimistic. i'd love more than anything to see that man be elected as the next president, but the truth of the matter is, he hasn't had enough experience to where the opposing side wouldn't be able to take him through the ringer for his lack of it, you know? i agree that he's as close as we're going to get with a good candidate, but i'm not sure if the rest of america feels the same way yet.

he does have that clinton-esque essence going for him, though.

val-holla-ing 01.17.2007 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
There's a little something more than his last name preventing him from becoming president.

There is this thing prevalent in most US states.

I'll give you a hint- it is 2 syllables, it starts with R, and it ends with M.

racism has three syllables. unless you're talking about RamJam.

Massenvernichtungswaffen 01.17.2007 08:56 AM

Barack Hussein Obama + african american = never ever president.

mark my words. they'll let Hilary in before they'd let a black guy with a name like Barack Hussein Obama in the Oval.

fryggin Americans don't know what's good for them.