Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   A good rule for people who have a lot of things to say about music (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13506)

sarramkrop 05.29.2007 06:06 PM

A good rule for people who have a lot of things to say about music

Unless you produce it or write about it in a more significant way , as well as breath it, it's useless and ultimately boring to hear over and over again about your views in contexts that don't add up to much, and in fact they are depressing for most of those who love it dearly . Really, do something about your frustrations or shut the fuck up.

atsonicpark 05.29.2007 06:22 PM

you're one of my favorite posters here.

atari 2600 05.29.2007 06:25 PM

In all my years at sonicyouth.com, I've never heard one single thing from board members that impressed me enough to deem it as any good really. But hey, many bands and artists sounded awful when they first started, so I don't want to discourage anyone outright. I have heard some material that has possible potential.

I have no desire to share the music I make with the bunch here. Nor would there be any point. It would just be one more thing for people to be jealous about and nit-pick and take issue with. Why do you think people disclaim their offerings as "shameless self promotion?" Because it is exactly that. It it works for them, then great. To me, it just seems needy. Collect your efforts and put them onto board compilations. That's really the only way not to look like a jackass. If you do have a band that plays gigs, then you have a right to post about it. If you don't, then don't be a cheese. Just some advice.

BREATHe

atsonicpark 05.29.2007 06:26 PM

hahah.

even when i don't always agree, i see the point in saying what is said amongst the intellectual sonic youth folk on this board.

or maybe i'm DRUNK ON
KALHUA

atari 2600 05.29.2007 06:44 PM

Robo and sweet, sweet Kahlua might be a good mix.

Well, maybe one day I'll get around to transferring some of the cassette tapes I have to digital and if I do, I might record some stuff to tape and then share it. It's a possibility, but seeing as I'm not set up to share that way, not likely at the moment. It's a low priorty.

pbradley 05.29.2007 06:47 PM

Good thing I have very little to say about music.

Savage Clone 05.29.2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Unless you produce it or write about it in a more significant way , as well as breath it, it's useless and ultimately boring to hear over and over again about your views in contexts that don't add up to much, and in fact they are depressing for most of those who love it dearly . Really, do something about your frustrations or shut the fuck up.

I think this is one of many reasons my post count has gone down in recent weeks. I don't know that I have felt I had much to add recently, and when I thought about how many times I have said the same things over and over on here it was kind of embarrassing really.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.29.2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop

in all honesty, people are free to say whatever they like. being a person alone legitimizes opinions more so then any sort of professionalized experience, if anything professionalization tends to add egocentric bias (myself included) to opinion, and ignorance is truly bliss.... in other words, what do you care if people who you don't view as legitimite voice their opinion?

sarramkrop 05.29.2007 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
in all honesty, people are free to say whatever they like. being a person alone legitimizes opinions more so then any sort of professionalized experience, if anything professionalization tends to add egocentric bias (myself included) to opinion, and ignorance is truly bliss.... in other words, what do you care if people who you don't view as legitimite voice their opinion?

That's not my point, but BE free to view it as you can.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.29.2007 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600

I have no desire to share the music I make with the bunch here. Nor would there be any point. It would just be one more thing for people to be jealous about and nit-pick and take issue with. Why do you think people disclaim their offerings as "shameless self promotion?" Because it is exactly that. It it works for them, then great. To me, it just seems needy. Collect your efforts and put them onto board compilations. That's really the only way not to look like a jackass. If you do have a band that plays gigs, then you have a right to post about it. If you don't, then don't be a cheese. Just some advice.

BREATHe

and you, how can yr music be so fucking spectacular that you feel that there are people who deserve to hear it and people who dont. music is life, and no man controls life, and for you to put any kind of limit on yr music is to doom it too a silent death, like a tree falling in the woods for a lack of more amusing cliches. what the fuck is the point of playing music if not to share it with the world? to give create positive energy through your efforts, and anything else would be self-destruction. if you dont share yr music, then you dont gain any of the energy from other people, and the music only costs you. music is the most free gift a musician can give people, and it should be a gift from the heart. have you ever played a show for people that made them laugh, and dance and sing? if so then you understand the life that is in music, and the blessed gift it is to share it with every ear that can hear, and to play it that much louder for those disabled ears that can only feel rhythmic vibration...... be more optimistic, lack nothing.

"Sold them soul and they can’t see, wo-oh, yeah-ah
Life they chose and no one else
I wish that I could bear them well, wo-oh, wo-oh
If you wish, please wish them well"

by the way

SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION
LISTEN, PLEASE...
CLICK HERE FOR MUSIC...

http://www.myspace.com/suchfriendsaredangerous

Toilet & Bowels 05.29.2007 07:15 PM

as far as this board goes i find the amount and type of music chat perfectly fine, if you want to read something that will enrage you just have a nose about on this forum www.dissensus.com

sarramkrop 05.29.2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
and you, how can yr music be so fucking spectacular that you feel that there are people who deserve to hear it and people who dont. music is life, and no man controls life, and for you to put any kind of limit on yr music is to doom it too a silent death, like a tree falling in the woods for a lack of more amusing cliches. what the fuck is the point of playing music if not to share it with the world? to give create positive energy through your efforts, and anything else would be self-destruction. if you dont share yr music, then you dont gain any of the energy from other people, and the music only costs you. music is the most free gift a musician can give people, and it should be a gift from the heart. have you ever played a show for people that made them laugh, and dance and sing? if so then you understand the life that is in music, and the blessed gift it is to share it with every ear that can hear, and to play it that much louder for those disabled ears that can only feel rhythmic vibration...... be more optimistic, lack nothing.

"Sold them soul and they can’t see, wo-oh, yeah-ah
Life they chose and no one else
I wish that I could bear them well, wo-oh, wo-oh
If you wish, please wish them well"

by the way

SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION
LISTEN, PLEASE...
CLICK HERE FOR MUSIC...

http://www.myspace.com/suchfriendsaredangerous

Stop it, I wept big fat tears after reading that.

pantophobia 05.29.2007 07:19 PM

it is a very excellent point kroppy, criticism is not something i find very useful to go indepth unless it's constructive, even then i do rarely if ever myself, i do enjoy boosting new bands and new movements that happen just so people can see it and make up their own minds, but i kind of stopped here cause i know less then everyone else it seems, but boosting is satisfying. i went into overkill starting 4 years ago with Les Georges Leningrad boosting, while the music was not overly remarkable, it was the live show that put me over and i wanted people to get out and see them, and i kept it up all the way until they broke up

as for this forum, but there is a perpetuation of the same ideas and threads a little too often, and while it's mostly blah, whenever lists come up and people ask others to make their own, the asperger's side of me makes feel compelled to keep rethinking the same things and re-evaluating old lists that i made say like a year ago, and how much it has changed, but often i refrain from posting just to stop myself from succumbing to habit

atari 2600 05.29.2007 07:20 PM

I don't know, SuchFriendsAreDangerous, I've just always been that way. I was the same way about my artwork before it burned up. I'm a real primadonna son of a bitch and no situation is good enough for me. I'm certain there's a good deal of fear there too. Fear of Failure. Fear of Success as well. As many I know constantly advise, it's like I'm waiting for a lightning bolt to hit me to start my life. I think a lot of talented people are dysfunctional in a similar way. To be a significant artist, you pretty much have to be an individual, or somewhat of one, thus you can't stand to join any groups of people. The mere thought of joining some group pf people, even a loosely knit one, even a group of artists, is just the biggest drag.

It has always struck me that the vast majority of musicians are always screaming "Look at me" when most really have no right to even be on a stage. Fuck the self-serving art-polluters. (Well, that was more brutal than I had intended...oh well, fuck it, it's honest.) As I wrote recently, most bands have problems because the vocalist and the lyrics are subpar. I've been approached to be a singer a few times based solely on my looks. I just told them I couldn't sing to get them leave me alone. To have a good band you need a great singer that writes great lyrics. I've never felt confident with my own singing (although I'm not terrible), and I've never felt condifent at all writing lyrics. As David Lowery remarks, "writing rock lyrics is a low art." I just can't do it. Add to these woes my abysmal luck ever finding a drummer. I can drum a little (who can't), but I need a good drummer. Magic happens when I'm playing with a good drummer. When I lived in Athens, any good ones were always committed to their respective bands too much and couldn't give their all.

Something always made me reject the music business for these reasons.
And don't even get me started about the art world. It's probably at least ten times worse.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.29.2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia

as for this forum, but there is a perpetuation of the same ideas and threads a little too often, and while it's mostly blah, whenever lists come up and people ask others to make their own, the asperger's side of me makes feel compelled to keep rethinking the same things and re-evaluating old lists that i made say like a year ago, and how much it has changed, but often i refrain from posting just to stop myself from succumbing to habit

aside from that fact, have y'all noticed how much more popular this site has become in the past year, how many more lurkers pop up? this information may be continually recycled for those of us lame enough to have been here for years, but there are what seems to be hundreds of new people reading all this shit all the time.... something to think about...

soapbars 05.29.2007 07:24 PM

amen

Everyneurotic 05.29.2007 07:29 PM

porky, if i were gay i'd date you for talking alone, man.

gmku 05.29.2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
In all my years at sonicyouth.com, I've never heard one single thing from board members that impressed me enough
BREATHe

I on the other hand hang on every word ssiranwrap breathes.

sarramkrop 05.29.2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia
it is a very excellent point kroppy, criticism is not something i find very useful to go indepth unless it's constructive, even then i do rarely if ever myself, i do enjoy boosting new bands and new movements that happen just so people can see it and make up their own minds, but i kind of stopped here cause i know less then everyone else it seems, but boosting is satisfying. i went into overkill starting 4 years ago with Les Georges Leningrad boosting, while the music was not overly remarkable, it was the live show that put me over and i wanted people to get out and see them, and i kept it up all the way until they broke up

Your enthusiasm for bands that have threads dedicated on here way too often and with little to say about them keeps me posting on here more often than I should. You and Jen should be in charge of any Sonic Yonic or Dinosaur Jr threads for the forseeable future. And thanks again for the Shonen Knife coup.

atsonicpark 05.29.2007 07:36 PM

hahahaha

robo