Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Mighty American Football Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=84409)

Rob Instigator 11.27.2012 03:38 PM

The Mighty American Football Thread

My beloved Texans are 10-1, and can clinch a playoff spot with a win this Sunday.

So exciting! After a decade of mediocre to terrible teams, this year's team is fulfilling the promise of last year's playoff team.

Go Texans!

TheMadcapLaughs 11.27.2012 03:54 PM

as a chargers fan, i've stopped watching long ago. but congrats to you rob!

Rob Instigator 11.27.2012 04:30 PM

The Chargers are indeed a sad bunch o dudes.

why are Saint Doug teams always so weaknut? Is it because the weather is too nice for them to focus on practice?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.27.2012 08:45 PM

Go Falcons or go home! By the way Rob, you're welcome ;)

Rob Instigator 11.28.2012 09:03 AM

I give thanks to Hot-Lanta for Matty Schaub!!!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.28.2012 09:14 PM

While Schaub is unarguably a top-tier QB, he clearly wasn't clicking well with the Falcons and so since we used that trade to help get Matt Ryan we must mutually tip our hats in y'all direction.

By the way, Falcons are my NFC team, I hedge my bets in two leagues and so my AFC team...

is the Ravens. See y'all in the play-offs ;)

TheMadcapLaughs 11.29.2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
The Chargers are indeed a sad bunch o dudes.

why are Saint Doug teams always so weaknut? Is it because the weather is too nice for them to focus on practice?

san diego teams are just cursed. the curse of the whale's vagina i suppose. ive accepted it. its our way to keep away bandwagoners and glory

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.29.2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
san diego teams are just cursed. the curse of the whale's vagina i suppose. ive accepted it. its our way to keep away bandwagoners and glory

haha! definitely no bandwagoneers there ;)

PS.. I used to be a sick Raider fan too

Rob Instigator 11.29.2012 02:17 PM

Jerry Rice picks the Houston motherfucking Texans to meet against the San Francisco 49ers in the Super Bowl.

That would be a hard hitting Super Bowl!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.29.2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Jerry Rice picks the Houston motherfucking Texans to meet against the San Francisco 49ers in the Super Bowl.

That would be a hard hitting Super Bowl!

Sorry, Rob I'd say there is only room for one Cinderella at this upcoming dance, and the Texans ain't quite it yet. Enjoy this head-busting year, y'all have arrived towards the top-tier, especially as the other AFC powerhouses creep towards decline. I dare say teams like Texans and Bengals are the future of the AFC, just like Falcons and Niners are the future of the NFC.

My Bowl prediction?

Ninerz-Broncos (and I HATE Peyton but for real, those dudes almost got there under Tim Tebow, let alone the way they've been playing lately, and the Niners, well shit, they just discovered they have TWO fantastic QBs)

AFC Conference game = Broncos-Ravens
NFC Conference game = Ninerz - Packers

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.29.2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Go Falcons or go home! By the way Rob, you're welcome ;)

With only our THIRD win against the Saints in the past 5 seasons.. we needed it! Those Saints are getting to rambunctious, in the past 45 years Atlanta leads over New Orleans by ten games, and we've dominated them every decade except since Drew Brees came to town.. Now they think their hot shit calling us their little brother? Meh ..

demonrail666 12.01.2012 11:51 AM

Blimey!!!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.01.2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

I know. Its one thing for dudes on the Chiefs to have been killing their season at 1-10, but its another entirely for a dude on the Chiefs to kill his girlfriend and then self. Lord have His mercy!

Severian 12.02.2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
haha! definitely no bandwagoneers there ;)

PS.. I used to be a sick Raider fan too

What the fuck? I'm struggling to understand this graphic. Admittedly, I'm not a pro football fan, as I said, but this appears to be either a ninja turtle or a Predator- Based "Raider" being grinned at by either a Plastic Man or (possibly) Alien-based "Charger." Can someone clear this up for me, because I am actually finding it quite an unsettling image with no context to help me process it.

Why isn't the Raider a Pirate? What in the hell does Predator (or a ninja turtle?) have to do with the Raiders?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.03.2012 12:48 AM

After tonight I am a bit more shaky about my Ravens, but looking at the overall season, as well as the past two or three, and yes, I think Ravens can do it. If anything, getting a third or fourth seed might help because it will put them against Colts or Bengals but at Baltimore. A win could have really helped and it was almost expected, but hey, that is Ravens football. I still think Ninerz-Broncos are looking better and better for the Superbowl, but my Conference matchups might be evolving.. Texans are good, but Broncos almost made it there without Petyon Manning putting up career numbers for them so I hate to admit but, but Denver I think is best in AFC. Further, the Ninerz are the most rounded NFC team, so they could easily beat my Falcons, the Packers, the Bears, or the Giants.

demonrail666 12.03.2012 07:12 AM

Are the Dolphins any good, now? They've been my default NFL team since the 80s, when they first started showing it on tv here but they seem to have been on a downward spiral ever since.

Rob Instigator 12.03.2012 09:10 AM

My beloved and Mighty Texans are 11-1. Incredible

Even the run n shoot Oilers under hall of famer Warren Moon never got that good!

That was a straight up asswhuppin of the Titans.

The 49ers lost. ha! The Ravens lost! ha! MNF next week against the Patriots! Gonna show the nation what an asswhuppin looks like!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.03.2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

My beloved and Mighty Texans are 11-1. Incredible

Even the run n shoot Oilers under hall of famer Warren Moon never got that good!

That was a straight up asswhuppin of the Titans.

The 49ers lost. ha! The Ravens lost! ha! MNF next week against the Patriots! Gonna show the nation what an asswhuppin looks like!

Careful there Rob. Remember when my Falcons were 12-1 and finished 13-3 as a favored upset for the Superbowl? What happened? Oh right, the Packers. Speaking of Packers, what were they last yea? Oh right, 15-1. What happened? Yeah, the Giants. So this year be careful. The best teams in the season are NOT the teams that go on to win it all in the post-season.

Rob Instigator 12.03.2012 03:20 PM

suchfriends, don't try and confuse me with your liberal biblicisms

;)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.03.2012 03:23 PM

Bill Simmons had me laughing my ass off at my dream Superbowl if it both my teams, the Falcons and Ravens were to meet. He called it the indecisive Superbowl

Quote:

That got me thinking … how crazy would an Atlanta-Baltimore Super Bowl be? And what would happen in that game? How could both teams execute the "I'm going to let you hang around and eventually cobble together just enough decent football to eke out a victory that leaves our fans simultaneously excited and unimpressed" game plan to perfection when they're playing each other? Would we be headed for multiple overtimes? Would the game just keep going indefinitely while one team waited for the other team to screw up and gift-wrap them a win? Would we be sitting there for two or three days? If we get a Falcons-Ravens Super Bowl, I'm changing my travel plans to leave on the Wednesday after the game just to be safe.

It really could last several days of back and forth moments of sheer brilliance blended with overall mediocrity. Sounds like Atlanta or Baltimore football to me ;)