Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How appropiately do you choose the music that suits your mood? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=7129)

porkmarras 10.19.2006 02:59 PM

How appropiately do you choose the music that suits your mood?

This particularly interests me as it tells a lot about someone.

Cantankerous 10.19.2006 03:01 PM

very well?

Savage Clone 10.19.2006 03:05 PM

Some days I have the ability to match my mood perfectly, but at other times (less frequent, but it happens) I simply cannot find anything that sounds "just right." That is most frustrating.

TheDom 10.19.2006 03:07 PM

Almost everytime I listen to music.

porkmarras 10.19.2006 03:08 PM

This became less of a burden as i bought more and more records.As i'm a terribly disorganized person when it comes to my music collection,it became almost essential to have some sort of telepathy established between what i want to listen to and what's available.

Hip Priest 10.19.2006 03:22 PM

On the occaisions when I pick 'mod music', I think I tend to pick stuff more to help put me in a mood, rather than to match a mood I'm in. So it might wake me up when I'm drowsy, or relax me when I feel too active, if that's a word (I have problems 'switching off' - I just keep thinking of diferent things).

static-harmony 10.19.2006 03:23 PM

I listen to teenage riot every single time I feel down.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 10.19.2006 03:28 PM

i have so much music i never know what to play
when i finally find something, ill listen to it on repeat for a couple of times as i find another tune/album to listen to

RdTv 10.19.2006 03:35 PM

Most times I listen to music it either puts me in a mood, or I seem to subconsciously pick something out to suit my mood, rarely do I remember purposely listening to something mood stimulating purposes.

!@#$%! 10.19.2006 03:39 PM

i pick my music based almost solely on mood. of course some times it's as a support, other times to combat.

i have certain pieces picked for certain specific moods, but i must include classical and jazz to the repertoire in order to provide a good match.

this sounds kind of obvious, but erik satie's piano pieces seem to fit cloudy autumn days very well.

other days i'm feeling slow and i can't be so i play something to get me out of it-- say les georges leningrad, guaranteed to wake up anyone.

Cantankerous 10.19.2006 03:39 PM

here's this: i only ever listen to music that suits my mood.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 10.19.2006 03:41 PM

the music i listen to doesn't match my emotional moods. I can listen to anything no matter how i feel. But I have musical moods sometimes I feel like listening to rock, sometimes jazz, sometimes, classical. But I won't know until I look at my cds. I don't organize them in any way either.

k-krack 10.19.2006 03:42 PM

Most times when I'm extremely upset, I immediately pop on Xiu Xiu. No questions asked, I just sit and mope. Sometimes when I'm upset too, some Silver Mount Zion goes on... When I'm happy, I don't consciously choose music to listen to, I just put it whatever I want to hear. When I'm pissed, hardcore time. (Refused...Blood Brothers...Femme Fatale, etc)

Glice 10.19.2006 03:43 PM

Music and moods... interesting concept. I sometimes know what that means, and othertimes not. I ocassionally have binges of obligation listening, you know, listening to things that I should listen to but don't (metal or indie, usually) but mostly it's trying to get to know the newer CDs interspersed with the Fall, country and classical.

!@#$%! 10.19.2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Music and moods... interesting concept. I sometimes know what that means, and othertimes not. I ocassionally have binges of obligation listening, you know, listening to things that I should listen to but don't (metal or indie, usually) but mostly it's trying to get to know the newer CDs interspersed with the Fall, country and classical.

i have empirical but subjective proof of the relation between music & mood
- having country music as a musical background makes me physically violent
- having bland elevator music in the same role sends me into a deep depression
- listening to yo la tengo's "pass the hatchet, i think i'm goodking" puts me back in an excellent mood

i have to say, bikini kill, though often laughable, is great to combat a dull sonic environment as well

porkmarras 10.19.2006 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i have empirical but subjective proof of the relation between music & mood
- having country music as a musical background makes me physically violent
- having bland elevator music in the same role sends me into a deep depression
- listening to yo la tengo's "pass the hatchet, i think i'm goodking" puts me back in an excellent mood

i have to say, bikini kill, though often laughable, is great to combat a dull sonic environment as well

Some people listen to Yo La Tengo and go on to react violently towards small children and pets.I have proof.

screamingskull 10.19.2006 05:01 PM

The majority of the time i want to listen to Elliott Smith, but don't because its too sad, espically this close to october 21st.
So i listen to Sonic Youth or Sleater-Kinney or my favourite happy music people the flaming lips.

Danny Himself 10.19.2006 05:32 PM

I will usually play bleak country-ish stuff when I'm sad, such as Beck or Daniel Johnston. When I'm neither one thing of the other, I go with Sonic Youth. When I'm happy and carefree, I hit Pavement. This way, I usually stick myself in a moody rut.

Alex's Trip 10.19.2006 05:36 PM

When I need to feel good, or feel like dancing, I listen to Animal Collective or the Flaming Lips.

When I'm angry I'll listen to either the Blood Brothers, or Comets on Fire.

I have no other feelings.

!@#$%! 10.19.2006 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Some people listen to Yo La Tengo and go on to react violently towards small children and pets.I have proof.

i believe you. the point is though, music can alter your mood pretty harshly