Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   im getting braces. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6408)

m^a(t)h 09.25.2006 06:56 PM

im getting braces.

im so sad.

youthoftomorrow 09.25.2006 07:08 PM

yeah, they kinda blow. i got mine taken off a few years ago and then never wore my retainer, so now a few of my teeth are starting to shift.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 09.25.2006 07:27 PM

OT:

m^a(t)h, have you heard about Cranstock Battle of the Bands?

My band the Spectral Presence is going to play, and the other band I'm in Destroyer! is going to play too.

www.dutilhumc.org/cranstock

The event sounds sort of lame, but I never pass up a gig.

m^a(t)h 09.25.2006 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
OT:

m^a(t)h, have you heard about Cranstock Battle of the Bands?

My band the Spectral Presence is going to play, and the other band I'm in Destroyer! is going to play too.

www.dutilhumc.org/cranstock

The event sounds sort of lame, but I never pass up a gig.

I will be there. i was going to sign up and do a something but i recently broke alot of my homeade gear. look forward to seeing you play man...

two of my friends are playing there also as llama twist, i dont know if they will be any good but yeah...

m^a(t)h 09.25.2006 07:37 PM

oh shit though, matmos is playing on the same day... i dont have tickets yet though so if i dont get them i will support the cranstock.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 09.25.2006 07:43 PM

Sweet.

HaydenAsche 09.25.2006 10:29 PM

I have them. I get them off in like a week.

Cantankerous 09.25.2006 10:31 PM

i never had them. fuck that shit.

Toilet & Bowels 09.25.2006 10:33 PM

i really like it when i see girls who are too old to have braces, but have braces. it's cute.

Cantankerous 09.25.2006 10:35 PM

cryptowonderdruginvogue 09.25.2006 10:35 PM

Alex's Trip 09.25.2006 10:44 PM

I have the worst history in dentistry...

When I was in 6th grade, approximately in January, I had to a thing called a Hyrax. A hyrax resembeled a four legged spider that was connected to four teeth, and it spread across the roof of your mouth. It was designed to make your mouth wider. It formed a gap in my teeth.

In April of the same year I got my braces. Between Jan. and April I had to get 7 teeth removed. Anyway, I got the braces, a year later the hyrax came off. But the braces were still there.

I found out that my jaw wasn't aligned correctly and it wouldn't be able to be fixed using rubber bands. The only alternative was surgery, but we'll get back to that. Two summers ago, I got my braces removed and I became the proud owner of two retainers (on for top and one for bottom).

Now back to the surgery part: The operation involves cutting off some of the mandable and shifting its position. I can't get the surgery until I'm 18. So I'll have to wear the retainer all the way until then (only at night now, thank god), but still it is a hassel. But what really sucks, is when I get the surgery done, I have to have braces again before and after the operation!

HaydenAsche 09.25.2006 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip

When I was in 6th grade, approximately in January, I had to a thing called a Hyrax. A hyrax resembeled a four legged spider that was connected to four teeth, and it spread across the roof of your mouth. It was designed to make your mouth wider. It formed a gap in my teeth.

In April of the same year I got my braces. Between Jan. and April I had to get 7 teeth removed. Anyway, I got the braces, a year later the hyrax came off. But the braces were still there.

I found out that my jaw wasn't aligned correctly and it wouldn't be able to be fixed using rubber bands. The only alternative was surgery, but we'll get back to that. Two summers ago, I got my braces removed and I became the proud owner of two retainers (on for top and one for bottom).

Now back to the surgery part: The operation involves cutting off some of the mandable and shifting its position. I can't get the surgery until I'm 18. So I'll have to wear the retainer all the way until then (only at night now, thank god), but still it is a hassel. But what really sucks, is when I get the surgery done, I have to have braces again before and after the operation!

I had a hyrax. That shit left marks on my tongue for months afterwords.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 09.25.2006 10:46 PM

Quote:

oh snap!

Cantankerous 09.25.2006 10:46 PM

Quote:

that fucking blows. i would rather just have fucked up teeth.

Alex's Trip 09.25.2006 10:47 PM

Well my teeth are fine now, the top and bottom jaws just don't line up very well. I think the only reason my parents are doing this is because they work in a hospital and get good health coverage, so it ends up being cheap for us.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
I had a hyrax. That shit left marks on my tongue for months afterwords.

Yeah, I hated it. Food would get stuck up in it two...

Toilet & Bowels 09.25.2006 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous

totally

youthoftomorrow 09.26.2006 01:21 AM

i have a cousin who had braces for nine years.

atari 2600 09.26.2006 01:49 AM

It sounds a bit like dentists and orthodontists are hard up for cash in your area or that your family has genetic defects with their teeth. Far too many of these professionals will advise that you need braces even when you do not, and since parents have no clue, they do what the doctor tells them.

On a somehat related note, it makes me think of parents that are too worried about how to raise their kids properly, so they overcompensate by wasting lots of money. It's a real growth market here in America to buy loads of useless crap for kids.

king_buzzo 09.26.2006 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue

my thoughts exactly