Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is cussing bad? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40505)

SONIC GAIL 07.15.2010 07:45 AM

Is cussing bad?

I don't think so. I do believe in god and am very spiritual as most of you know all to well, but I have never understood this shit. Shit is poop, piss is pee, ass is but, fuck is fudge you still mean the same thing what does changing the spelling slightly do to make it less offensive? How would we describe shit without the word fuck in our vocabulary? I have explained to my seven year old who has of course picked up a few of my colorful phrases that when he is older he can say what he wants, but as his mom I cannot let him go around spewing vulgarities in public unless I really want alot of complaints from the other parents. There is a time and a place. When you choose to live within "normal" society you have to follow thier rules at times. Cause no one aint gonna hire no foul mouther fucker.

What yall think bout it?

tesla69 07.15.2010 08:08 AM

It is the sign of weak and lazy thinking. There is almost always a better way to say the same thing without profanity. It is language's gimmick to make something seem more intense and also acts as a 'code'. What is it we are really trying to convey when we swear? I'd offer its analogous to the current generations saying "like" before every other sentence. "like, I was on my ipod, like, and I got an email, like cuz I just like, checked my bank balance".

That said, I do swear constantly. There is a reason I don't swear when I talk to my grandmother, but can still have a conversation. I really don't need to. But it sure creates an artificial feeling of power. FUCK!

Language creates our world. Control your language and you control your world. As all good tyrants know, control others language and control their world.

atsonicpark 07.15.2010 08:49 AM

They're just words. Who really cares? Even fucking pop stars are on tv saying bitch and fuck now. It's pretty socially acceptable now, I don't know anyone who doesn't let out a nice "skullfuck" or "pissqueef" or "frozen-shit dildo" every now and then. Cursing rules.

Serious answer: No, it's not bad, anyone who thinks it's bad also probably thinks dinosaurs didn't exist.

Derek 07.15.2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I've read that SHIT is the acronym for, "Ship High In Transit." Containers containing manure would have SHIT marked on this side as to keep the manure stored up above the water line in hopes to prevent an explosion. I've also read this is merely a myth ? ? ? ? ? ?

Yeah it's a myth, you can read about it here: http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/shit.asp

Glice 07.15.2010 10:15 AM

Swearing is brilliant. Anyone who says otherwise is a cunt.

Ok, it was fairly obvious that I'd say that, but still, it needs said.

_slavo_ 07.15.2010 10:21 AM

Speaking of cursing, English language is very poor in swear words vocabulary. Some shit here, some fuck there, some cunt right around the corner, plus some variations of the mentioned. If you could ever taste the colourfulness of my native tongue's swearwords, all you fans of foul language would be delighted.

SONIC GAIL 07.15.2010 10:23 AM

I fucking love fucking cussing piss shit fuck fuck fuck!!!!!!!!!!!

Derek 07.15.2010 10:32 AM

fuck fuck shit shit

SONIC GAIL 07.15.2010 10:43 AM

get it all out of you Derek

knox 07.15.2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Speaking of cursing, English language is very poor in swear words vocabulary. Some shit here, some fuck there, some cunt right around the corner, plus some variations of the mentioned. If you could ever taste the colourfulness of my native tongue's swearwords, all you fans of foul language would be delighted.

yeah, fucking swearing in English is so frustrating.
I like my swearing to be long, extremely obscene with no commas.

the normal thing you'd say when someone jumps the queue would be like:

go get fucked in your loose asshole by your dad's impotent cock while your crusty whore mother sucks a million pus infected dicks and jfjfhf sjdjhdfd sahsdhds dsdsjhjhfdslhsdf fsd jsdfhd (a bunch of words that can't be remotely translated)

and thats not even insulting, its a light-hearted one.

anyone who says i'm satisfied with "cunt fuck cocksucker" doesn't know the pleasure of real swearing.

jon boy 07.15.2010 12:07 PM

i swear all the cunting time. love it.

my favourite recently is cuntingfuck, as in that fella's a total cunting fuck.

chicka 07.15.2010 12:10 PM

not a big swear thanks to raising three kids. Not that it matters as they know all the words and how to use them. Occasionally I'll let loose with my tongue or my keyboard.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.15.2010 12:32 PM

They're just vocal cord vibrations, like any other spoken word, and have the ability to affect the listener like very few non-cuss words can. I fuckin' love cussin'!

Puts hair on the chest.

Rob Instigator 07.15.2010 01:12 PM

words are words

a sentence containing no cursing can hurt a million times more, demean a million times more, than a simple curse.

and in english, the cleversness is not in the curse word, but the use

DeadDiscoDildo 07.15.2010 01:14 PM

^^Grammar, on the other hand.

...cunts.

Satan 07.15.2010 01:24 PM

fuck shit pussy cunt whore motherfucker cocksucker goddamn piss

knox 07.15.2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
words are words

a sentence containing no cursing can hurt a million times more, demean a million times more, than a simple curse.

and in english, the cleversness is not in the curse word, but the use

its not about being clever its about vocal/emotional relief.

Rob Instigator 07.15.2010 01:38 PM

to YOU

SuperCreep 07.15.2010 01:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXFSSByxkOU

automatic bzooty 07.15.2010 01:47 PM

they're just words. other words can be just as 'bad' if not worse in the right context.