Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Do you think Jimi Hendrix is the best guitarist ever? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13657)

sarramkrop 06.05.2007 05:47 PM

Do you think Jimi Hendrix is the best guitarist ever?

No? Join me.

HECKLER SPRAY 06.05.2007 05:54 PM

No. Zappa was better than Hendrix.

pantophobia 06.05.2007 05:59 PM

No, maybe the best until he died in 1970, but he has been surpased by a few since

k-krack 06.05.2007 06:09 PM

No.
He was a sweet musician, and I surprisingly, like listening to his music, but I don't give enough of a fuck about solos and blues scales to say it's "good," or be able to judge it.

atsonicpark 06.05.2007 07:45 PM

trey spruance or the guy from boredoms/omoide hatoba = best guitarist ever

Everyneurotic 06.05.2007 07:49 PM

yes, seichii yamamotor is the best guitarist ever.

keiji haino too.

i find hendrix to be quite boring, he might be good and wrote some good songs and innovated, but he's mostly very boring to listen to.

besides, we have to thank him for all the moron guitarists who twist and contort their faces every time they solo. he's done more harm than good.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 06.05.2007 07:50 PM

No, no I do not.

atsonicpark 06.05.2007 07:51 PM

seichii yamamotor! i always forget that.

have you seen the omoide hatoba video for sugar clip on youtube? it's AMAZING!

Everyneurotic 06.05.2007 07:55 PM

i need to see it, omoide hatoba are the shit!!

they were like the japanese fugazi, except they weren't preachy and were 1000% better.

CHOUT 06.05.2007 11:21 PM

I like different guitar players for different reasons.

Hendrix is pretty kickass, but when I'm listening to Band Of Gypsys, I tune in to the bass/drum grooves more than the guitar.

The guy could write good songs and that's more important to me. Plus he has some real cool rhythm playing that's obviously overshadowed by his solos/leads.

fugazifan 06.05.2007 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
I like different guitar players for different reasons.

Hendrix is pretty kickass, but when I'm listening to Band Of Gypsys, I tune in to the bass/drum grooves more than the guitar.

The guy could write good songs and that's more important to me. Plus he has some real cool rhythm playing that's obviously overshadowed by his solos/leads.

not to mention the amount of feedback that he used.

no machine gun=no SY
IMO
the man was brilliant beyond what blues rock fans can see. his veiw of the guitar and its capabilities where way more advanced than anyone (almost) during his time.
he cuold solo, write hard rocking songs, incorporate feedback and dissonance...
he was definatly one of the best (but not my favorite (crossreferancing another thread:cool: ))

ALIEN ANAL 06.05.2007 11:40 PM

Mascis!!!

:d

Everyneurotic 06.05.2007 11:42 PM

buddy guy was an acknowledged influence on jimi, he name drop him every opportunity he had and jammed every time the two were in the same town.

hendrix mainstreamized/classic rockized the use of feedback; for earlier and more groundbreaking guitar feedback, refer to jeff beck (another acknowledged hendrix influence), pete townshend, lamonte young/dream syndicate and, of course, the velvet underground.

luxinterior 06.05.2007 11:45 PM

I like Hendrix just fine, but best guitarist ever? That sort of implies that every guitarist should strive to be just like him, or whoever is being called the best guitarist ever at any given time. It reminds me of those sad guitar player magazines that publish articles on such things, and always within the classic rock genre. They're living in the past. It's a bit boring.

You know, it's fine that those magazines want to only talk about musicians that everyone's heard of already. They do need to sell copies, and I'm not going to chastise them for that. But they obviously have a bias even in the narrow field they are working in. The simple fact that they rarely make any mention of Prince that would rank him alongside the likes of Hendrix and Co. where he deserves, just goes to show that hypermasculine presence is a huge factor in who they choose to put on their cover. Prince wears purple, has a cute butt, and is generally more in touch with his feminine side than his male contemporaries. DEAL BREAKER.

pbradley 06.05.2007 11:53 PM

I don't agree with the question. It brings back the subjective/objective standards when discussing music. In which way do you mean "best"? Our favorite or something more empirical? If empirically, do mean technically?

Either way, I'd say no. I like a lot of his stuff but I wouldn't say he is my favorite nor would I suppose him to be greatest in an objective sense. Band of Gypsys is probably my favorite of his tunes, though.

luxinterior 06.05.2007 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
i agree with almost all of this. least the first paragraph.

as far as prince is concerned, maybe, maybe he is a bit underated as a musician (personally, ive never been a fan). and who cares if he is more in touch with his feminine side? and what does his butt have to do with how he operates as a musician? didnt the dude get into some shit once for hitting some girl? i seem to remember something like that....either way...doesnt matter.

That's what I'm saying. Did you misunderstand me? Or are you supporting what I just said by repeating all of it?

EDIT: What I was trying to get across was that not only do you have to operate within a very particular field of music if you ever hope to be appreciated by the likes of Guitar World, but you also can't look like this, apparently:

MellySingsDoom 06.06.2007 01:47 AM

Yes.

king_buzzo 06.06.2007 01:49 AM

Well, yes and no. He was original and minimalistic but yet so great.

sarramkrop 06.06.2007 01:55 AM

I've just thought about that while watching yet another documentary claiming that, in this time and age. It made me want to throw my computer screen out of the window.

Rob Instigator 06.06.2007 08:41 AM

Jimi hendrix was the greatest guitarist ever. Please do not forget that in his short 27 years he played with everyone from blues acts to jazz bands to little richard to the experience, band of gypsies, etc. He was a genius, undoubtedly, and he is most definitely in the running for BEST GUITARIST EVER and if you do not think so then you are CRAZY and deluded or sme sort of hipster than wants to name drop some japanese noise guy.

without jimi hendrix NONE of the music we listen to and love (sonic skronk music) would have come about. there would ne no velvets, there would be no sonic youth.

Jimi Hendrix died at age 27, if he had lived, he woudl be playing free jazz improv concerts with lee ranaldo and thurston and blowing their asses out of the water.

Jimi played lead and ryhtm at the same time, with a right handed guitar backwards and strung upside down. self taught.

Long live Jimi.

Jimi, please forgive them for they know not what they do.